What's your favorite stove/oven combo

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

What's your favorite stove/oven combo

Post by mike ritenour »

In the process of buying a new stove oven combo.
Would appreicate feedback on your experiences with your unit.
thanks in advance,
rit
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

Force 10
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I have heard that Paul E Luke (East Boothbay, ME) are great although not cheap and cand be customized. I've seen them and they are pretty as far as stoves go.

http://www.peluke.com/
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Rit

This is a stove I have been looking at . The price here is $890.00. The unit is made in France.

http://www.plancha-mania.com/index.php? ... _page=1578

Phil
barfwinkle

Broadwater Stoves

Post by barfwinkle »

Rit have you ever looked at the Broadwater brands. They are Aussie made and may be out of business. I looked today for a link but couldn't find one. If they are still available they are pricey as well.
Bill Member #250.
Como No Cruising
COMO NO

Post by Como No Cruising »

Mike, Force 10 (3 burner, oven broiler, gimbaled) is the original stove. Since we purchased her in 1995 we have had to only replace the broiler element and a thermocouple and two burner caps. You cannot go wrong as far as we are concerned.

Will and Annie
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Suggestion....

Post by Michael Heintz »

Rit,

I prefer the Viking 5 burner with double oven, stainless please.....

You'll never go hungry !!!!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Hey Mike,

I believe this is the one that is the descendant of our Hillerange three burner that I am sure was original early '80's. The Force ten may be similar in size but this should fit right in the gimbal mounts I reckon.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1041704

Now the Luke sure looks nice though!
Paul
CDSOA Member
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

new stove

Post by moctrams »

I replaced my old stove with an Origo stove/oven. It is "dummy proof" and I can bake biscuits and bread in the oven on aa baking stone.
WaywardWind

I too prefer Origo

Post by WaywardWind »

Though a future buyer of a CD 33 might think they want a stove "just like at home". Now, they don't get "just like at home" but they like to think they do.

I prefer Origo because of its convenience. Light it, cook on it, shut it off. It is more than hot enough to scorch eggs, and I can make 16 oz of coffee in a couple minutes. (People who claim alcohol burns so cold it won't warm water in less than three hours, don't know from nuthin'.)

Is it safer? Yes, indeed.

Is it inconvenient to buy alcohol? Nope.

Is it expensive to burn alcohol? Nope.

Alcohol is available cheap in any hardware store, or Home Depot or drug store or even auto parts store. Where I live, it is illegal to refill propane bottles, so when I had a boat with a propane stove, I had to drive 20 or 30 minutes one way to refill my aluminum tank. Said tank was also expensive to re-cert, as is required on occasion.

Steel tanks, which rust before your eyes, are available within a 20 minute drive for exchange. I have never seen a marina where propane was easily available. They may exist, but I've never seen one.

I cook extensively on my boat and use about a quart of denatured alcohol a year. About $7 total, even in the wildly regarded as expensive Manhattan I live.

A broker told me he could NOT sell a boat over 30 feet without an oven. Could not. Yet, he saw fifteen year old boats with the cardboard still in place in the oven from when new. Everyone, he said, thought they were going to cook a gourmet meal in a seaway.

BTW, if one doesn't want to go the work to gimbel a stove, they can get by easily just by using deeper pots.
mike ritenour

Dickinson Caribbean

Post by mike ritenour »

Does anyone have this stove installed?
Thanks
Rit
Troy Scott

stove

Post by Troy Scott »

I like Origo.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Olli Wendelin
CD30 Ketch
Charleston, SC

Post by Olli Wendelin »

I have a 4 burner Broadwater stove. Made in Australia. We are very happy with it.
paul marti

stove/ oven choice

Post by paul marti »

Hi Mike, I'm one of those guys who got rid of the oven, replaced it with an Origo two burner alcohol stove top. Saved space, weight easy to use and almost anything I ever tried to bake before I can somehow make a reasonable substitute in a pressure cooker. I haven't found a problem with the speed of cooking, perhaps a moment longer to enjoy a bit of libation, but not a hassle. I like to simplify and have had no regrets, and apreciate the storage space where the oven used to be.
I hope you are surviving the winter well!
Take care, Paul
Jim Evans

I agree with Paul

Post by Jim Evans »

Shortly after I bought my CD33 about 6 years ago, I removed the Hillerange and replaced it with a 2 burner Origo, which I've been very happy with. I kept the original gimbal mount, and build a cabinet for the stove and to provide storage underneath it. I don't miss the oven at all, and I welcome the additional storage. I hang wine glasses under the stove on the right side.

This is my first attempt at posting photos. I hope it works!

Jim Evans