Water intrusion Typhoon Wkr bow.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Water intrusion Typhoon Wkr bow.

Post by jim trandel »

I discovered an interesting reservior of water (about 2 cups) when I got my boat on the hard last season. It was directly under the forward access openning by the stem. I store my anchore and rhode in this location. My boat has been very dry with no water in the lower bilge area all season long. I do have a cowl vent but this water would not have flowed from this source.

I do suspect intrusion through the foreward deck / hull joint or possibly at the bow chock, although I do not find water telltail marks on the inside hull to indicate leaks at the joint.

So, I am asking if anyone has a plan or idea on how to identify a leak source or if anyone has successfully dealt with a leak in this area? Has anyone ever removed the bow chock - does one just remove the screws on the bow chock and remove?

Let me know?

Fair winds and a following sea,
Jim
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Identifying Leaks

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jim,

I have used this method in the past to find and identify leaks.

Buy a pack of various food colorings. Pick a color, mix with water as directed and pour over the suspected area. Go below and check for traces of color.

If no trace is found, mix a second color and pour in a different area, then look below for the new color.

Try different colors for different areas.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
jim trandel

Post by jim trandel »

Thanks OJ. :D I'll let you know how it goes.
Jim
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

Post by bifcondor »

here is an idea. put a low profile receptacle, perhaps a pie plate or tray with sufficient area to catch the drippings from the cleat above (or where ever you suspect the leak is originating). If the drips leave water in the tray then you will know, if not, it must be something else.
On my Typhoon I sometimes find water in the same area and I always suspect the foredeck cleat is leaking - on my list of things to take care of someday. Never a lot of water and no softness in the foredeck area, but not to be ignored, for sure.
jim trandel

Post by jim trandel »

I reset that cleat at the beginning of last season, it will be the first place I will investigate as the cleat is directly above the water location.
Thanks,
Jim
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

A light dusting of talc/baby powder/baking soda (pick one) in the suspect area will also help identify the source.