Any info on this CD-30 for sale?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Any info on this CD-30 for sale?

Post by Roy J. »

Has anyone looked at this 30 that has been for sale in FL for quite some time? http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Cape- ... r/22508431 The price has been going steadily down and is now resting at really cheap, so I wondered if anyone knew why.

Many thanks.
Roy Jacobowitz
Johnd

That's a steal.

Post by Johnd »

Nice looking boat for under 13k. It must need work, unless the economy is forcing it downward. What a deal if it's still in good shape.

John d
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It appears to be an older rather bare boat that hasn't been butchered.

Things that would immediately come to mind would be, sails, engine health and core issues. These could add up to a good deal of time and money.

It still seems like a very fairly priced boat. I hate to see prices this low as it doesn't make for a great comparison for the value of Raven, Steve.
Roy J.

About what I thought

Post by Roy J. »

I just wonder if any of our brethren have seen the sails, started the motor, banged on the deck with a plastic mallet....for now I will continue to make lists to fight off my bad case of 2 (5) footitis.

Many thanks.
Roy Jacobowitz
John Ring

Wheel?

Post by John Ring »

There are a few different boats in those photos, some with the old schooner style wheel, others with an Edson wheel.

I remember seeing early CD30 Ketch rigs with that schooner wheel. Was this boat always a cutter?

John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
bottomscraper

Pictures may lie!

Post by bottomscraper »

John Ring wrote:There are a few different boats in those photos,
The first photo appears to be the same photo that was used
in the the 1982 sales brochure:

http://www.capedory.org/specs/brochures ... Ads-30.pdf

I suspect a few others are from a similar source. You may find
that none of the pictures are of the actual boat.

(When we sold our last boat a broker in on Lake Winnipesaukee in
Gilford NH stole the pictures of our boat we had online and used
them for an advertisement for another boat of the same model he
had for sale.)
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I would echo Rich Abato's caution.

When I first started looking at sailboats to buy (and had not yet focused on Cape Dory sailboats) I would sometimes show up at an inspection only to look at a sailboat very different from the one depicted in the photos. When I expressed my surprise (and anger) I would be told "Oh, the photos are 'a couple years' old" or "the photos are of a 'sister ship'". I soon learned to specifically ask for photo dates, who took them, etc. before agreeing to inspect a sailboat. I would tell the broker or owner/seller that I was relying on his representations in this regard.

Candidly, since I started focusing on Cape Dory sailboats I have rarely had this problem - even with brokers. There was one offered for sale in the Florida Keys that was very different from the photos. The broker had told me the photos were "a couple years old" but those couple of years must have been very, very hard on that old girl because she looked completely worn out.

As also suggested by Rich I have also seen ads where someone has appropriated a sales brochure photo. Sometimes it is tough to tell. You really need to ask a lot of questions about website ad photos to avoid disappointment.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

We have a 1979 CD30 Ketch and we have both the schooner wheel and Edson wheel. I think it came with the schooner wheel as we found an old recept for an Edson wheel. Our boat has the worm gear steering and so far we have never seen a cutter rigged CD30 with the worm gear. We were just in Tarpon Springs a few weeks ago and if we would have known about this boat we would have went to have a look at her. This could be a great deal if she does not have major problems.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
aja

Worm drive

Post by aja »

I have a CD30 cutter factory rigged with a worm drive.
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
doubleb

craigslist

Post by doubleb »

I am docked at Jullinton Creek fl. There is a 30 cutter with worm gear for sale, It can be viewed @ craigslist jacksonville.
I walked over to see it. for a 1979 and just a walk by it did not appear to look too bad. The next time I am there I will see if I can locate the owner and chat..
Roy J.

Craigslisting

Post by Roy J. »

The craigslisting uses some of the same interior photos as are used at boats.com, offering a price of $10K - and calls the condition a "sailable fixer-upper". It also says the main, yankee and jib were replaced in 2000. I would guess that either the engine is bad, or the topsides are. But fixer upper condition is consistent with the price at least. I can't take on a fixer upper in FL, but maybe someone else could.
Roy Jacobowitz