Cape Breton Info Wanted

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Cape Breton Info Wanted

Post by SeaBelle »

It's been decided we'll be cruising to Bras d'Or 8/11-9/1. We came to within 50nm last year when cruising mainland Nova Scotia. My CD28, Sea Belle, has been on the hard for years and I've been sailing with a friend on his Sabre 45 in recent years.

We have managed to find an out-of-print cruising guide (c 197x), have a recent chip, and are acquiring up-to-date paper charts but would love to have recommendations about where to go and what to see. Mainly we'd like up-to-date information/recommendations for anchorages or moorings. Cape Breton has a remarkable Celtic music scene and I'd like to experience that too. My one recommendation from a great source turned out not in the lake but on the western shore; I need something within walking or reasonable taxi distance. I've found several places on the web but would like a recomendation.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Jack:

Wow, have not heard from you in a while on this board. Welcome back :!:

Unfortunately, I can't help much with your Cape Breton NS request.

I seem to recall a few board members sailed in that area this past season or perhaps they only went as far as Halifax. Not sure. You may want to check with Armando Perretta. I think he sailed in that area last summer.

What's up with Sea Belle :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Jack

I have not read this book but it may be of intrest to you .

http://ca.binnacle.com/Books-Calendars- ... _info.html

Phil
Tod Mills

you might try contacting the CB tourism group...

Post by Tod Mills »

They should be able to point you in the right direction...

http://www.cbisland.com/

Special place in my heart! I've been there several times, including once when my brother and I rode our bicycles around the Cabot Trail.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Some thoughts

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I sailed there from the Chesapeake a few years ago. The Bras 'd Orr lakes are really nice. All the beauty of Nova Scotia without the fog! We also love the music scene, but much of it is not along the water. As a boater, you will want to spend some time visiting Baddek. There is a car dealer that is within walking distance of the marina and their rental rates are about 1/3 or 1/4 of what you would spend at the airport. From there you can visit the parts of the island that may have more music. We found that there is a Barn dance in the Margaree valley (can't remember the name of the place) that happens once a week that was really excellent. Farther from the lakes was a little place in Louisburg that had some awesome music. Baddeck itself has a little get together fairly often. Festivals are the best, but timing is everything. I have a CD on the boat that is a .pdf file of an out-of-print cruising guide. While I have never used it, Canadians from other provinces swear by it. Send me an email and next time I am at the boat I'll bring it home.

Matt
Tod Mills

over on the west side is the Red Shoe...

Post by Tod Mills »

http://www.redshoepub.com/

In Baddeck, I found this web site from the Red Shoe's site...

http://www.baddeckgathering.com/
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Joe Mac Phee

Cape Breton is heaven to me

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Cape Breton Island is a magic place to visit. If you want total Celtic immersion, the best time to visit might be during the Celtic Colours festival in October. 10 days of concerts every night (3 or 4 each night) all over the island.

During the summer, there are also music events in many towns, especially on weekends.

In the Bras d'Or lakes, Baddeck is the largest town and has a small marina and yacht club. Iona is on the lakes and has the Highland Village with a recreated village and events over the summer.

The Gaelic College on Saint Anns Bay (North shore ocean access) is the Center of gravity of this Celtic mayhem. Most of the venues that I can think of that will have music, dancing, gaelic singing are on the ocean. Mabou and Judique are on the west shore. Saint Peters and Port Hawkesbury are on the Canso causeway. Sydney is the largest city and is on the north shore. As you can tell, I am enthusiastic about the place and it is the most hospitable place I have ever visited.

Enjoy your visit,

Joe Mac Phee
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Immigration

Post by moctrams »

Where did you check in for immigration?
Joe Mac Phee

Re: Immigration

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

moctrams wrote:Where did you check in for immigration?
I went to the office. The sign on the door said "welcome" and there were peolpe inside, but someone had locked the door by mistake. :oops:
Redburn

Cape Breton

Post by Redburn »

I have a cruising guide to Nova Scotia written by Peter Loveridge that dates from 1997 and was published by International Marine (McGraw-Hill)
It is laid out like the Taft/Rindlaub Maine guide with the same rating notations for protection and interests ashore. It includes the Bra D'or Lakes.
I bought this book at Armchair Sailor in Newport about 12 years but have never yet sailed up there. I don't know whether it's still in print but perhaps you could search out a copy somewhere on line.

Good Luck,
Chris Ritchie
Cape Dory 30 MkII
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Jack:

In the February 2011 issue of Sailing magazine there is a really nice 10-page article discussing a circumnavigation of Newfoundland. I know this is a little north of your intended itinerary but it is a very interesting article and may offer some ideas for your travel.

If you do not subscribe to Sailing you should be able to get a copy at a bookstore/newsstand or you could try calling the mag at their subscription office [800.895.2596] to see if they will sell just one issue.

I am sure you will have a great time :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Guides

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

Having been to Nova Scotia and the Bra D'or several times I would recommend the following guides:
!) "The Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia" by the Cruising Club of America;
2) "Cruising Guide to the Canadian Maritimes" by Cheryl Barr;
3) and the guide previously mentioned in this thread although it has been out of publication. There was indirect word from the author himself that a new edition would be coming out.

Will write more on good places to walk when I get a spare minute. We are also focused on being able to get off the boat as much as possible.

We will be sailing back to Nova Scotia and the Bra D'Or again this summer.

Best wishes,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
mike ritenour

LaVida is also NS bound in 2011-Raft Up?

Post by mike ritenour »

Its our plan to sail out to NS from Lake Ontario.
Perhaps we should have a raft up somewhere.
We intend to leave Lake Ontario early to mid summer, on our way South.
Rit
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Mike

Are you going to go to NS via the St Lawrence river or by the Erie cannal and the Hudson. Ether way great trip.

Phil
mike ritenour

Ahoy Phil

Post by mike ritenour »

At the moment we are planning to go out the St. Lawrence, calling on some ports we visited in 2003 on our way to Newfoundland.
This time we will explore PEI and then pop up to Port Aux Basque, NF (an old haunt), then down into NS.
We may winter in NS or continue South into the Bay.
Our eventual goal is the islands and shorts and a tee are all that's required!
Rit