ATTENTION: ALL USCG LICENSEES

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

And it keeps on comming

Post by Jim Davis »

It seems that Homeland Security is still trying to make the water safe from boaters. Now the idea of identity cards and checks are going to be sold as safety improvements. How the USCG and state marine police would handel this is beyond me, butt I'm sure they will figure out a new "user fee".

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j8zy ... wD90AFV7G0
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
DougSabbag

TWIC 2011 update

Post by DougSabbag »

As an "update" to this thread...

Now that it is 2011, has anyone noticed that we 6 pack Captains have not been required to have that TWIC ID ? :-)

I'll just assume that those people working in freight docking facilities are required to do so, but we sailors are not.

We've been sailing all over the Eastern seaboard of the USA, from Fort Lauderdale to Boston, and I have never been asked for a TWIC ID.

So, this is one of those moments when I get to say: I told you so.
Doug Sabbag
BillNH

Re: TWIC 2011 update

Post by BillNH »

DougSabbag wrote:So, this is one of those moments when I get to say: I told you so.
I wouldn't say "I told you so" too fast, Doug...

On the USCGs License Application Acceptance Checklist ( http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/M ... cklist.pdf ) the TWIC card is still on the top of the required items list, noted "For All Transactions".

The USCG web site discussing license requirements also clearly states "ALL US Mariners MUST have or be in the process of applying for a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC). (Their capitalization of ALL, not mine...) Full text at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/original.asp

The TWIC application process has replaced the security/background check that the USCG used to do for original licenses and renewals. Rather than duplicate the process, the USCG now uses the TWIC process and has discontinued their own checks. I believe that this is why EVERYONE needs the TWICS - its the only security check in the whole licensing process anymore!

As you read earlier, I'm not fond of the TWIC requirement and its cost, but never the less its a hoop we all have to jump through. Like it or not, I'm pretty sure its still the rule for OUPVs as well...

Out of curiosity, were did you see that it is no longer required?
DougSabbag

Post by DougSabbag »

Hi Bill,

Well, perhaps I stand corrected.... :-(

Would this requirement be applied whenever we renew our licenses? Or is it just for new licensees?

I was thinking it wasn't required of me because I had never been asked for it by the CG whenever our paths crossed - though they knew I was chartering in Floridian waters; or whenever we were cruising this past summer from Florida up to Boston, where we are now.

Thanks for replying! Happy cruising!
Doug
Doug Sabbag
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

I don't think you will ever be asked to show a TWIC card out cruising, as even though you hold a license it is not a requirement if you are not carrying passengers or freight for hire.

Even when chartering, when you do need to hold a license, I doubt you will ever be asked to produce a TWIC card unless you required access to a dock in a secure port area or something like that, since its assumed that if you have a license you also have (or at least had) a valid TWIC.

You will need to have a valid TWIC card every time you renew though, and that's where they get you. Cost is the same $132.50 whether its an original TWIC or a renewal... Supposedly they do a new "threat assessment" on you every time.