cost of engine rebuild

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

david Nichols

cost of engine rebuild

Post by david Nichols »

I’ve just joined this group because it is a great resource . I’m seriously looking for a CD25D or CD27 and have a question or two. I’m based in Austin TX so chances of finding a knowledgeable shop here would be very slim.

Does anyone have an idea what an engine or transmission rebuild might cost? I’m looking for ball park figures here…just something to give me an idea what I might be looking at…. Overhaul vs rebuilt/replace? I want to get the boat Blue Water ready.

Also, Because all my boats have been on trailers I have no idea what it would cost to haul a 25D or a 27…I know it will vary from area to area so what is the norm….
DNichols
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

It all depends on what is wrong with it...

Post by sgbernd »

If there was a serious failure like a rod thru the crank case, while it repair is not likely economical. On the other hand, if it is just tired and needs to be cleaned out and new rings, ground valves, re-sealed and put back together, it is not so bad. If you do it yourself, it is a lot less expensive. Minimal service to an aging engine, (grind values, clean out corrosion, rebuild injectors, replace mounts, gasket kit, water pump, thermostat, muffler-elbow) will probably set you back about $1000 if you do it your self and it goes up from there if you need more or contract the labor out. If you find stuff you don't like, it goes up.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

If it has good compression and oil pressure leave it alone. Good compression tells you what shape the rings are in and oils pressure the bearings. If you do get one that needs rebuild work pull it and take it to Crankshaft and Valve in Waco. They are a good machine shop that has done the engine machine work for my shop when I was in business.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: cost of engine rebuild

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

david Nichols wrote:I’ve just joined this group because it is a great resource . I’m seriously looking for a CD25D or CD27 and have a question or two. I’m based in Austin TX so chances of finding a knowledgeable shop here would be very slim.

Does anyone have an idea what an engine or transmission rebuild might cost? I’m looking for ball park figures here…just something to give me an idea what I might be looking at…. Overhaul vs rebuilt/replace? I want to get the boat Blue Water ready.

Unless you are sure you need a rebuild, I would have an engine oil analysis performed. They are very informative and a cheap way to get some info on what is wearing in the engine. If possible have at least two cycles of oil tested before proceeding with the rebuild, again if it is not obvious that one is needed.

This is the lab I use.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/?gclid=C ... 4AodcSs9zQ
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
mike ritenour

Engine rebuild

Post by mike ritenour »

I repowered about five years ago, replacing an aging volvo MD11c that I had to rebuild twice before deciding to throw it out the hatch. Knowing I was going to keep LaVida for many years, repower was the way to go for me.

I'd suggest asking yourself how long to you intend to keep the boat. If only for a few years, then a rebuild is in order, if the engine warrants it. As others aptly advise, going over the engine and assessing its condition is paramoun,t before investing in a rebuild.

If you intend to keep the boat for a long time, then a repower is most likely the way to go for several reasons. You will have increased the value and saleability of the boat, you will have a reliable power plant, you will have less maintenance, better fuel economy, cleaner exhaust, not to mention the opportunity to clean, insulate and paint your "engine room" :wink: .

As to the transport of a boat, in the range your seeking, you should look for a boat that has a trailer or one that can be sailed to your marina.

Otherwise the only way to know $$$$ for moving your new sweetheart will be via a quote from one of the boat moving companies. Sometimes the yard where the boat is located may have private carrier available, sometimes you can find a flatbed tractor trailer "deadheading" your way and looking for a load.

Any way you look at it, boat transport isn't cheap unless you can tow the boat yourself.

As many know here on the board, "BOAT" really means "bring on another thousand" :roll:

best of luck,
Rit
Last edited by mike ritenour on Dec 11th, '10, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
david Nichols

cost of engine rebuild

Post by david Nichols »

This is all very valuable info…Thank you!....I’m a big believer in ‘if ain’t broke don’t fix it’ but my experience is virtually non existent when it comes to diesel aux so I’m reading each post carefully..…I wanted to be an informed consumer and be able to make an intelligent decision (I wonder if that’s an oxymoron when buying a boat) ….I plan to put a trailer under either the 25D or the 27….the boat will live in the water (I plan on Corpus Christi) and then go north in the summer…. There is always the question of using a lift or floating off with the trailer but I a mentioned earlier I don’t have any idea about cost of using a lift….
DNichols
barfwinkle

Cost of the Lift

Post by barfwinkle »

I have had Rhapsody lifted on numerous occasions. Pensacola was $225 round trip, Yankee Point VA $200 round trip, Dickinson Bayou TX $250 round trip.

In prepping for the TX trip I had called several yards in the Clear Lake TX area and they were deal busters. Perhaps just because I was inquiring over the phone, but local friends couldn't fine anything better (other than Dickinson). The quotes in the Clear Lake area were outrageous. $1200-$1500 round trip. I couldn't believe it.

Transport is not cheap. The last time I asked it was roughly $4 a mile and I am not sure what the cost of diesel has done to that figure. If you wind up with a 25D the cost of a trailer would be well worth the investment. I drove almost 5000 miles over a long weekend to pick up a used one in Rhode Island and haven't regretted it one bit. A new one with 5500 pound axles is going to run you 8K or more (my guess) but you can also find an old power trailer and convert it.

To my way of thinking the use of a lift is the only way to splash the boat. I cannot imagine backing Rhapsody down a ramp. I tow with a 3/4 ton four door dodge and that boat dwarfs it! Stepping the mast usually takes less than an hour just to get it upright and stable but not tuned! Most yards I have talked to have a one hour minimum on labor and that should be sufficient. Having said that I have rigged a hinged mast shoe and using the boom, can raise and lower it with two people easily. Coming down is no problem as all of the rigging is handing in place. Going up its all laying on the deck and snags on everything. At this point raising the mast may well be worth the one hour minimum!

Good luck, fair winds and Happy Holidays
Bill Member #250.
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Getting parts on older engines

Post by Ken Cave »

Before purchasing any boat, be sure that parts are available, even
for the newer engines. New engines are fit with computers so that they do not smoke on start up, and this is the problem with older engines.

In 2002 I installed a Volvo 2020, and had no problems until last year when the exhaust manifold ate itself up. The only place I could purchase one was in Sweden, and the price would have been half the cost of the original engine! Through a local fab shop that also sells Northern Lights generator sets, I found that my engine was actually made in Japan, and is the same engine that is used on Northern Lights. Instead of over $3000 the actual part was $570
Modifications were in order which we were able to do, but I learned
my lesson when looking into a new engine!

Ken Cave
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

What engine and trans do you have?

I found that the Universal I have in Raven is a Kabota 600 block and most of the parts can be obtained at my local tractor dealer at about 1/4 the cost of "marine" parts that are exactly the same.

If everything is working I would just run it, Steve.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

For trailering I used uship.com 3 time with good results. We live on our boat at the Corpus City Marina
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

The last three engine "re-builds" I have witnessed cost darn near as much as a new engine with no new engine guarantee and a lot of old parts. Parts and labor are exorbitant these days so often a new engine is the better deal, especially if the engine brand starts with a V & ends in O..

Remember that with an engine rebuild these items do not generally get touched or "rebuilt".

Raw water pump
Fresh water pump
Alternator
Starter
Gear box
Damper plate
Motor mounts
Electrical harness
Fuel lift pump
etc. etc.

Add those things into a "rebuild" and you're well over the cost of a new engine..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
david Nichols

cost of engine rebuild

Post by david Nichols »

I'm still reading carefully....Thank you for taking the time to share your experience
DNichols
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

Also, Because all my boats have been on trailers I have no idea what it would cost to haul a 25D or a 27…I know it will vary from area to area so what is the norm….
Well here comes the unforeseen expenses! I purchased my CD-26D, Mirabile, for a bargain price in August 2010. Then I figured out that having it hauled 140 miles was going to cost $800, and I would not have a way to keep it at the house and work on the interior and other things that help you get to know her. That's when I had to find a trailer, it cost me $1650. Then $400 for tires, and $380 for insurance before I could tow it, and~$200 in parts and other things to make the trailer roadworthy. I borrowed a friend and his duel axle diesel truck and towed the boat, all 7000 lbs myself. Towing a large load is nothing to take lightly, a mistake can have swift, dramatic, and tragic results. Better check out Texas laws on weight, height and width limits for towed loads, you may have to get permits for the trip. I was happy to see my house after three nervous hours on the road. The boat has not left the back yard. That's another thing, where will you keep it to work on it? Leveling on a hard surface is essential to keep water out of a boat. It is nice to have it close by to work on. I am enjoying mine immensely and it hasn't even been in the water yet!
Rollo
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

A few thoughts

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have owned a 25DA for almost 10 years. It has a 1GM engine by Yanmar.

- Marine surveys usually do not include engine tests. WHen I bought my bought I had it put in the water and had the engine evaluated by a competent mechanic UNDER LOAD. A significant but not gigantic expense considering that engine replacement can cost more than 50% 0fa the value of the boat.

- a common problem is the need for a head replacement and exhaust elbow. I had this done after having the boat for 5 years and it was like having a new engine. Cost including labor 1200.

- all the peripheral stuff starter, water pump etc can be replaced individually as needed.

- What you want in an engine is reliability

-Austin is not exactly on the water and I know nothing about moving or trailering a boat so I will leave that to others.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
marv brinn

mack boring

Post by marv brinn »

I have been calling mack boring in NJ for 10 yrs and they have been very very helpful and have spent as much as 45 mins explaining how to change the oil in my cd27..the point is give them a call you will not be disappointed
none