Foggy Portlites

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MFC
Hull No.128

Foggy Portlites

Post by MFC »

Hi All,
The glass (lexan?) in the portlites on my 330 is foggy in places. Warm soapy water does nothing to remove the hazing on the glass. Is there a cleaner which will help?
Thx
Matt
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Try Meguiar's or 3M polish/cleaners

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Matt -

Meguiar's makes a clear plastic cleaner #17 and a clear plastic polish #10 that I've used on my old hatches. It does a pretty good job of cleaning up surface dirt, minor scratches, water spots, etc.

3M makes a similar product called (surprisingly) "Marine Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish".

Meguiar's products seem to be a little easier to apply and remove than 3M from my experience.
Doug Gibson
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Haze

Post by S/V Necessity »

If you have glass windows, then I know what you are talking about. I have the same thing. I haven't determined yet if it's a deposit (as in a calcium deposit) or if it's somehow etched. But It will not scrub off. I'm going to be trying a few things here in the coming weeks, if I find a solution I'll let you know.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

If it is safety plate

Post by Jim Davis »

The haze is in the plastic film between the two pieces of glass. I hate to mention the cure as it is generally replacement, or "enjoying" your "frosted" glass.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
sfreihofer

Glass Haze

Post by sfreihofer »

I had this problem on the glass. Nothing would take it off. I tried window cleaner, bathroom cleaner, stovetop scrub, oven cleaner....etc. I never found a chemical solution that worked.

I did finally get rid of the haze, by using (of all things) Mother's Metal Polish from Walmart, and a buffing wheel.

You can see the comparison here (second photo): http://www.reefroof.com/restored.htm

Maybe there's an easier way, but I didn't find it.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
MFC
Hull No.128

STAN IS THE MAN - foggy portlights no more!

Post by MFC »

I just wanted to report that we followed Stan's advice today and went to town on Savannah's foggy portlights with some Mother's Metal Polish from Walmart (look in the auto section) and 23 years of oxidation on the portlights disappeared with not more than an hiour or two's work. THANKS STAN -- it amazing how much brighter the cabin is now!!! Pics in a few days.
Matt
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hey Matt;

Well, it worked for me. I'm glad it worked for you too. That's what this board is all about, right?

Stan
MFC
Hull No.128

Hi Stan

Post by MFC »

Hi Stan -
Of course it is the point of the board, but your advice just led to such an unexpectedly glorious result, I had to thank you in ALL CAPS. Hope that's okay!?!

Today was a beautiful indian summer day in the north east. 70 degrees and sunny in Philadelphia. I went to the boat to replace a line to the head which went unexpectedly smoothly. With a couple of extra hours on my hands, I looked at my 4 page (typed) "to do" list for a project I might take on in the extra time. The portlights jumped out as a possible job -- especially as it was decidedly not sunny down below on Savannah. I went to Home Depot and looked for metal polish, not recalling the specific name, I found only Brasso. I recalled that you bought it at Walmart. On the way to Walmart, Carolyn suggested the name "Mama's" and we finessed it from there . . .. Anyway, with an assist from a passerby in Walmart ("its in the auto section") we found the Mother's and got back to the boat in time to polish 8 of the 10 portlights before sunset -- which we watched in all of its exquisite detail from down below through the portlights. So.

THANKS STAN. Haha.

The one thing we couldn't figure was how you came to use metal polish. Was it a byproduct of your cleaning the portlight frames or did you have reason to beleive it might work on the glass (lexan?)?

Matt
sfreihofer

Re: Hi Stan

Post by sfreihofer »

MFC wrote:Hi Stan -
Of course it is the point of the board, but your advice just led to such an unexpectedly glorious result, I had to thank you in ALL CAPS. Hope that's okay!?!
Yes, but it made me blush... I'm sorry I failed to mention that it's in the automotive section.
MFC wrote: The one thing we couldn't figure was how you came to use metal polish. Was it a byproduct of your cleaning the portlight frames or did you have reason to beleive it might work on the glass (lexan?)?
Matt
Well, actually it was frustration that motivated me to try it. Nothing would dissolve the film, so I decided to try 'erasing' it. My first try was "Ceramabryte" cleaner for glass stovetops. That didn't work.

I was worried that an abrasive rubbing compound would scratch the glass (my portlights are definitely glass, not plastic) so I tried Mother's because it seemed like the least abrasive option. I tested it first on a piece of glass to make sure it wouldn't scratch the glass. I was surprised it worked as well as it did, but I don't argue with success.

I'm glad it was helpful for you. It sounds like others have had the same problem with the glass, so maybe it will help them also. I don't know if it would work on acrylic or lexan without scratching, and I would caution anyone who wants to try it on plastic to test it first.

Stan
MFC
Hull No.128

As Promised

Post by MFC »

As promised, the photographic evidence:

Before:

Image[/url]

After:

Awesome, eh? Thanks again Stan!
Jim Cornwell

Mother's Metal Polish

Post by Jim Cornwell »

It's time to remove the haze on Yankee's portlights. But I find that Mother's makes quite a variety of polishes for metal. Have you glass clarifiers had success with their "Mag and Aluminum Polish" (for mag wheels, I guess - appears to be a paste) or the "Marine PowerMetal Liquid Metal Polish" or one of their numerous other concoctions?
sfreihofer

Re: Mother's Metal Polish

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Jim;

I don't know what else may work, but what I used was the "Mag and Aluminum Polish" with a buffing wheel.

Let us know if it works for you too.

Stan
Jim Cornwell wrote:It's time to remove the haze on Yankee's portlights. But I find that Mother's makes quite a variety of polishes for metal. Have you glass clarifiers had success with their "Mag and Aluminum Polish" (for mag wheels, I guess - appears to be a paste) or the "Marine PowerMetal Liquid Metal Polish" or one of their numerous other concoctions?
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I read this thread a while back and never got around to tackling the project. Today brings miserable weather so I figured I'd try it out while stuck down below. I had a large can of Flitz (similar product to others mentioned on this thread) on board and just tried some on the ports- it works great! When the rain stops I'm going to test it on the lexan hatches since Flitz says it works on plastic. The cabin is now noticeably brighter. You always learn something on this board. Thanks for the (albeit old) tip.
jbsails
"Sumiko" Edgewater, Fl.

Foggy Portlites

Post by jbsails »

Mine were the same way. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a headlight lense polisher kit, I think it was about $14, maybe cheaper on a sale. It looks just like a simple sponge disk that you put on a plastic wheel in the end of drill. Comes with a liquid polishing compound and about ten minuets per port and your done....
Oh and do not use the sand paper disks, they are for plastics, although you could use them on your hatches if they are plastic like mine! Just the sponge and polishing compound.
Fair Winds,
John
Troy Scott

what is the haze?

Post by Troy Scott »

Has anyone learned what the haze on the glass surface actually is? Maybe mineral deposits from hard water?
Regards,
Troy Scott