Trailering a CD22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillyO

Trailering a CD22

Post by BillyO »

I was thinking of putting my 22 in the ocean a couple of times next summer.
I have the truck sufficient to haul it.
The questions I have are
1. Is steppng the mast a big deal with two people ?
2. Is there any special technique to launch and retrieve ?
I am an experienced person with trailers...But it is good to ask others of more particular exp.
WE sail on Lake Winnipessauke in NH.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Hi Billy,

I still miss my CD22. I now have a trailer to haul my 25D but the whole process is a lot more complicated than the CD22.

The CD22 has a hinged mast. The mast steps just like the ty mast. It is easy for 2 people to step. That said, it is a work out the two of us and not something I would want to do everytime we go sailing.

As for launch and retrieving, it depends a lot on the slope of the ramp, current, etc. You will need an extension on the trailer. You may consider having the boat lifted off the trailer in order to avoid putting your trailer and part of your truck into salt water.

Sounds like you have adventure in your future.
BillyO

CD22

Post by BillyO »

Thanks, I would not look forward to trailer sailing the 22 every time.
That said, I want to get into some salt and out for an ocean sail.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

you are correct in stating that towing, launching and rigging a 22 on a regular basis would not be fun! But for a few times a year is not that bad. I have trailered Rhapsody on multiple occasions! It is stressful and I wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis, but its all doable.

Good luck and Fair winds!
Bill Member #250.
Klem

Post by Klem »

Stepping the mast isn't too big of a deal. They are small enough that one person can just walk the mast up with the shrouds already attached or you can use a gin pole if no one is comfortable walking the mast up. It does take significant time to rig the boat and then derig it and secure everything for an OTR trip.

There are 2 common ways that I know of to launch a boat like this without hiring outside help (crane/travel lift). You can use an extension on the tongue of the trailer which will work for relatively steep launching ramps. The other method that will always work but takes more time is to use a fixed nose wheel and winch or back the trailer into the water. The basic method with this is to get the trailer started on the incline and properly aligned with the ramp, then chalk the wheels and unhitch the trailer. If you have a winch on the tow vehicle, you hook up the winch and lower the trailer into the water. If you don't have a winch, you pull the tow vehicle forward 50' or so, attach a heavy line between the two then back up to lower the trailer into the water. Another way which takes a lot of patience and a not crowded ramp but is worth mentioning is to park the trailer towards the bottom of the ramp at low tide and let the tide do the work.
shavdog

I have a 22

Post by shavdog »

Its on a triad trailer with 6 pads....launching and retrieving was actually very easy ...I dont have a tongue extender...therefore I used a suburban and backed it down the ramp until the exhaust pipe was 1 inch fromt the water....if my ramp were alittle steeper it would help because I couldnt get my boat far enough forward...18inches of the keel hangs off the back but then again I live one mile from the ramp...as far as the pole goes...its awkard and flimsy...you loose control of it, you have a problem...i tried it twice and switched over to the gin pole for 20bucks....not worth any potential damage...other than that, things went fast..I do have a couple quick release pins on two shrouds that really help out...
hughesw

CD22 Trailering

Post by hughesw »

The trailer for my CD22 has no tongue extension, and the boat rest on bunks. I have trailered the boat back and forth to my local lake many times (~50 miles one way) and to Pensacola, FL (>300 miles one way) a few times without too much drama. Although I have backed the truck down into the water much deeper than is good for it more times than I care to think of.

This trailer has hydraulic surge, drum brakes on the front axle only, which function marginally. I have refurbished the entire braking system, but it still seems to be lacking - probably adjustment and maintenance related. If I was trailering more often I would prefer to have electrically controlled disc brakes which would most likely serve to reduce the pucker factor. The ability to stop when some dim-witted fool pulls out it front of you is defintely priceless. Towing ability is all about HP, mass, and equally important breaking abilitty.

The only problem I've encountered is as shavdog mentioned, not being able to get the boat back on the trailer far enough foraward, which can make for problems with tongue weight and trailer sway.

The tires on the trailer, when I got it 3 years ago, were bias ply and were pretty much dry-rotted. I put another 1,200 miles on them afterwards. I have recently replaced them with radials (Maxxis M-8008 185/80 R13) which seem to really smooth out the ride.

I use a gin pole to solo raise/lower the mast, also without too much drama. It really boils down to working out all the details, sequence of events and - most importantly - proceeding slowly and SAFELY to ensure everything is taken care of.

And as had already been said before, I wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis, although dry stored on the trailer with the mast up wouldn't be out of the question.

Regards,

Warren H.