Winter storage--wet or dry?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

drb9

Winter storage--wet or dry?

Post by drb9 »

I'm in the mid-Chesapeake. I've almost always hauled for the winter, for peace of mind. But, I also know that about half the boats at the marina stay in throughout the winter.

What are your thoughts on leaving the boat in for the winter, and what steps would you take to winterize that you might not take on land.

Darin
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have done 3 out of 5 winters wet since I've had Raven.

This is CT where it gets far colder than the Chesapeake. My slip sees enough tidal action that it never freezes so that is not an issue. I believe keeping the boat in the water is actually better for it than hauling. The support of the hull is much better. If the rig stays up in either situation, there is a lot more give if the boat is floating. The temperature swings are not as great, nor do they ever go as low. The yard is not mangling my standing rigging. The boat is far easier to work on. It is also nice to be able to spend a few winter nights aboard.

In answer to your original question. The only winterizing that comes to mind that would be different is in securing the boat. I use lots of big fenders. Double all lines and one set is over sized. Chafing guard where ever it could help. I have found that the dock cleats are hell on lines and I can plan on losing a couple each winter due to chafe. I splice up my own three strand stuff. I had been using 5/8". This winter I have a spool of 3/4" that I will use to make up a set of back up lines. I keep the primary lines a little tighter than the back up so they take all the strain unless one parts.

The best thing about keeping the boat wet is that you can greatly extend your season. I winterize the fresh water and sanitary systems but tend to hold off on the engine as long as I can. This is salt water and the boat holds it's heat better in the water. We manage to get in quite a few seal cruises and I have had a couple of awesome sailing days in January. Even if you have to rewinterize the engine it is a pretty simple matter. worth the effort, for a day out on the water, Steve.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Check your insurance. Although it may not be an issue on the Chesapeake, in the Northeast many policies require that the boat be hauled as of a certain date. I believe mine is Nov. 1.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jim Evans

I Alternate Wet/Dry Winter Storage

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi Darin,

I am also at Herrington South on the Chesapeake, and for the past 7 winters, I've hauled out for the winter every other year. Last winter I hauled out, so this winter I'm staying in. I find that rotation works well, and it permits me to wax the hull, service the seacocks, change the zinc, check the prop/cutlass bearing, and repaint the bottom all on a reasonable interval.
Jim Evans
Russell

Post by Russell »

When considering staying in the water as an option for the winter, you should think about how often you are able to visit and check on the boat. If you live pretty far away and visiting the boat might be difficult, out of water may be worth the convience in the extra cost. You can mostly ignore the boat for the winter when out of the water. But in water, you do need to go check on it. Last winter on the chesapeake with the insane amounts of snow, I saw a few smaller boats sink due to uneven snow weight causing bad listing. So are you prepared to go shovel snow off the boat, go check docklines before/after storms, etc?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Winter Storage - Wet or Dry?

Post by Oswego John »

I've always pulled my boat(s) out of season. I really don't have much choice in the decision. The marinas and boating facilities pull the floats and slips sometime around Oct. 15. Even if I kept it at a mooring, I'd have no way to get to and from my boat if I left it wet.

I sail in sweet water. The question comes to mind, what do salt water sailors do concerning the annual accumulation of barnacles, grass and other growth? It is easy enough to clean the bottom after you put the boat on the hard. But when it's still in the water....?

Do you dive and scrape the bottom? Surely, the hull should be cleaned before a new season begins. Yes?

We, in the Great Lakes have an ever increasing problem with zebra mussels. They are similar to barnacles. Considering them as well as the tremendously powerful winter storms in the area, it is best to pull the boat in the fall.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

I keep her in the the water year round, up here in LI NY. I pull her for a short haul every other season. I did haul her for the winter about three years ago to deal with my periodic blister maintainence.

Becides; the sailing is better around here in the winter. It's actually windy. Access is less of a problem, especialy for surfing and windsurfing; the crowds are few, the wildlife are greater, and all the idiot "motorheads" are gone. Not the fishermen; but they are never a problem. I'm talking about the guys with the 50 foot plus boats and their giant wakes.

The only thing I regret is that I have to keep her at a slip in the winter. I much prefer a mooring.

http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/
Frank
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I short haul Raven every other summer. Two weeks in July are just about right. The yard is never busy so they take very good care of you and you can always get a spot with plenty of room to work, near water and electric. It hurts a bit to see other people out sailing but by then I have already had some great sailing and the winds are low during mid summer. When you go back in you will have a very slick bottom for any major trip.

I scrub the water line several times a year and the entire hull as needed. The time spent in during the winter does not add a significant amount of marine growth. Things grow pretty slow in cold water.

I also keep a zinc grouper hanging over the side during the winter. I figure my greatest chance of electrolysis problems will be at the dock. I look at it as a fail safe measure that is easy enough to deploy.

A 1500 watt heater makes for a very nice overnight on the boat. I also tray to get a slip where the bow points north so I have nice sun in the cockpit. It is heavenly to spend a still winter night's snug on your boat. It makes it much easier to get work done for me if I can stay over rather than run down for the day. Staying aboard a boat on the hard is never a good option, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

If you haul out, leave all seacocks open. If you stay in the water, close all seacocks except for those connected to the cockpit scuppers. If you are in a cold area, be sure to open the drain screws on the closed seacocks.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where the fun never stops,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
jvanghel

Winter haul out

Post by jvanghel »

I am also on the Chesapeake, Magothy River, I have been hauling every other year with no problems. It saves on the winter storage charge. Now that I am retired that is becoming more important. I am even thinking of going to a summer haul for a couple of weeks every other year to avoid the storage altogether.

Regarding OJ's question on the barnacles, they are not a problem from mid September until the water warms up in the spring.

Jim Vanghel
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Wintering in

Post by tjr818 »

This is my first year owning Slainte, my CD27. I have purchased a cover from The Canvas Store that completely covers the boat. Should I close the cockpit drain seacocks, or not?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Open the Seacocks Or Not

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Tim,

Close the sea cocks or leave them open? A new cover, you say? It's five on one hand and a half dozen on the other. Everything else being equal, give the valves some exercise to prevent them from freezing up. I know some guys who like to stuff a wad of bronze wool into the mushrooms of the cockpit drains to prevent bees, yellow jackets, etc. and other forms of wildlife from domesticating the drains.

If you do keep them open, remember to close them before launching and pull the bronze wool. (Did I really have to include that)? YES I DID.

Test the cover for one season to see how well it works.

When the boat goes on the hard, make sure that the cockpit floor pitches a little so any storm water or snow melt flows toward the drain openings. If the boat is on a trailer, the pitch can be adjusted with the tongue jack.

Caution trumps optimism.
O J
PS: Slainte. What a novel name for your boat. A votre sante, prosit,salud, na zdrowie, cheers, bottoms up, le'chaim, 'eres to ya, mate. :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bottomscraper

Seacocks, open I think!

Post by bottomscraper »

Even with a cover you will get condensation. I leave all seacocks
open over the winter. Ice is an easy way to destroy a seacock.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Frank,

Good to hear that from someone local. I think I'll keep it in next season, but this year's already paid and scheduled. Winter in the marina is ~300 bucks cheaper too. About a dozen larger boats brave the winter at Tappen.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

M. R. Bober wrote:If you haul out, leave all seacocks open. If you stay in the water, close all seacocks except for those connected to the cockpit scuppers. If you are in a cold area, be sure to open the drain screws on the closed seacocks.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where the fun never stops,) VA
That's a really good point. Should I open the drain screws even if I am using anti freeze?