Fuel Shut-off Valve

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

K_LeMans
Raconteur,
Menominee, MI

Fuel Shut-off Valve

Post by K_LeMans »

Reading Zeida's post about fuel lines and the lift pump...........

Reminded me that there is no fuel shut-off valve on my CD30 (original MD-7A installation). This is a pain when attempting to change the filter element in my Racor 200 primary filter, which, depending on the amount of fuel in the tank, can be below the fuel level. When this is the case, opening the filter housing can make a real mess.

Has anyone out there installed a shut-off valve, and if so, can you point me to the appropriate product?
Kevin L.
Bob Ohler

Fuel Shut-off location and a tip...

Post by Bob Ohler »

LeMans, I installed a fuel shut-off immediately before the Racor filter. When I change the filter, I fill it to the brim and then screw-in the filter assembly. Come to think of it, usinf this method, I have not had to blled the system following the filter change.

Here's a tip... I take a 16 oz soda bottle, label it "diesel," and I place a squirt tip on the top of this same bottle. (I get these from my local hardware store near the oil and transmission fluid stuff.) It makes filling the Racor filter assemby a breeze!

Fair winds,

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have a squeeze bottle, like you would find for ketshup in a dinner, that I use for transmission fluid. This sits inside a plastic coffee can for additional security.

It seems like it would be great to add one for diesel. At this point my filter is above my tank so I need to bleed to fill the bowl.

Tanks for one more tip, Steve.
Frank Vernet

Ketchup & Mustard Bottles?

Post by Frank Vernet »

Ketchup bottle for hydraulic oil as it is pink.

Mustard bottle for the diesel...consistent with the 5 gal containers.

Sounds almost sailor proof!
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Curious minds want to know...

Post by sgbernd »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shut off valve source?
Bob Ohler

SGbernd...

Post by Bob Ohler »

Any good marine or auto parts supply will have the shut-off valve you need. I can't see your boat from here, but I am guessing that you need a 1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread) valve / shut-off.

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Ben Thomas

Racor manifold

Post by Ben Thomas »

I know/I know Although it looks (over engineered) complicated it really isn't. Main fuel tank inlet valve is at top of jpeg (open), Secondary fuel tank in bilge inlet valve (closed) is vertical on the right side. Both lead to either filter, each with their own valves, so if one clogs its easy to switch to the new filter.
You can barely see it but lower left corner is a fuel return valve for either tank.
Bilge tank has fuel pump inline. The valve/outlet on the very top of jpeg is used to bleed and fill filters before installing. One instance where a fellow needed fuel and I was able to give him a couple gallons in jugs.
A lot of fittings for potential leaks but it has worked great for about 7 years. I usually inspect it a couple times a year and every filter change.
If you look closely Number one filter has fuel flowing Number two is shut down.
This doesn't follow the KISS formula but borders on the fix it till it breaks approach.
A few weeks ago on a cruise the engine died because of clogged filter it took about 45 seconds to switch over and get under way again.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That is a very impressive filter system! Even more so because you found room for it, Steve.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I installed a Groco 90-degree full-flow, #316 stainless fuel valve on the pickup tube of my aluminum tank (never allow copper based fittings to come in contact with aluminum). Jamestown Distributors has them as part# GRO-FV590-S.

I also picked up a pair of Groco 3-way valves to select between two Racor 200 series filters.

ImageThe wire clamps were made with the ClampTite tool.
Frank Vernet

Splitting Fuel Feed From Tank

Post by Frank Vernet »

Ben,

Your system gave me the idea of splitting the feed from the tank to include a separate "drain line" with a shut-off valve to empty the tank if needed or perform a good semaritan deed (per your description). Naturally, the other branch with its own shut-off valve goes to the RACOR.

Great insight.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier