Polish the Hull

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rollo_cd26

Polish the Hull

Post by rollo_cd26 »

My CD 26D is out of the water and I am considering polishing the hull and prepping for a bottom coat and a new strip. The hull is dulled and has a few discolorations, but otherwise in perfect condition. What do you use to polish the white surface? I have tested 600 grit wet/dry disks on a random orbit sander and that looks promising. What do other use and do you have a coating after wards to protect the gel coat? What do you use to paint the stripe? I am looking at custom auto paint sprayed or Brightside applied using a foam applicator. although the color selection is limited.

TR
Rollo
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Cleaner/Wax

Post by moctrams »

I use "Meguiar's Cleaner Wax" for RVs and Marine.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

This should help:

Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... post706131
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Petit has a nice selection of colors in Easy-poxy for the boot strip, Steve.
doubleb

aqua buff

Post by doubleb »

When I did my 25 I used a product called aqua-buff, a mild rubbing compound, and followed up with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax,
All I can say is OMG! what a slick and shinny surface.

I got a lot of compliments on the final results.
And it has held up well so far

B.B.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Brian,

How much Aqua-Buff did you need to do Air Raid?
Hope to get a chance to visit you two next time we get to Jax!

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i tried a bootstripe paint, but cannot remember what brand. it did not hold up well and power washed right off practically. i have painted a few vehicles with two-part epoxy paints so i checked with my auto paint supplier and he recommended a truck fleet paint in red. it is basically an IMRON type paint. Mack trucks have fiberglass cabs and are painted with such paints. i taped off the bootstripe after sanding off the old, cleaned with acetone, then brushed on the paint. the paint tends to level itself. two light coats as opposed to one heavy coat worked best for me so there was no sagging, runs or curtains. also tried a new tape called Frog tape.
it prevents bleed-under at the edges. the stripe has held up well for three seasons now even under substantial commercial-power pressure washing.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

TopLac

Post by moctrams »

I use a paint called "Toplac" for my boot stripe. After three years it is still bright and shiny with no flaking.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

be careful when the can states "above the true waterline" because if it spends time below it will deteriorate.
Russell

Post by Russell »

sloopjohnl wrote:be careful when the can states "above the true waterline" because if it spends time below it will deteriorate.
Even awlgrip says "above the waterline", all of the topside paints are meant for above the waterline. Its best to keep your "waterline", ie where the bottom paint stops, well above the waterline, by a couple inches at least.

As for bootstrip paint, personally I opt for no bootstrip or sheer strip. CDs have such low waterlines, and these strips just make them look even lower. Classic style boats in general, IMO as well, just look better without these excess stripes. My hull is solid white, no stripes, and my bottom paint comes a full 4" above the actual waterline. Its practical and attractive, no need to crowd the hull with all those extras.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Mike check your PM
Bob Ohler

3M Products

Post by Bob Ohler »

Easy to use.. great results and durabilty. You can buy 3M products for heavily oxidized and lightly oxidized surfaces, plus the waxes. I apply one coat with a towel and then buff it to a high gloss using a Makita buffer every spring. No complaints.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit