Other sites to buy/sell boats

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
bobdugan

Other sites to buy/sell boats

Post by bobdugan »

I'm assembling a list of non-yachtworld sites to buy/sell boats:
- sailboatlistings.com
- ebay
- craig's list
- sailing texas

Are there some others?

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Bibster

I can think of a few others:

Post by Bibster »

- goodoldboats.com
- ablboats.com
- usedboats.com
- latitude38.com
- 48north.com
- free-sailboat-listings.com (which is really a search engine for sailboats advertised on craigslist)
David van den Burgh

Re: I can think of a few others:

Post by David van den Burgh »

Bibster wrote:- goodoldboats.com
- ablboats.com
- usedboats.com
- latitude38.com
- 48north.com
- free-sailboat-listings.com (which is really a search engine for sailboats advertised on craigslist)
I would never use ablboats.com. They're a scam. Do some research before you contact them. I made the mistake of dealing with them several years ago. There are plenty of other (and better) sites out there that won't cost you big bucks.
Bibster

Re: ablboats.com

Post by Bibster »

David,

I have never bought or sold anything via ablboats.com, but it is a site I regularly visit when I am "window shopping," and I have seen a couple of boats that are listed on this site also listed over there. I would definitely be interested in hearing about your experience so that I can be forewarned if I ever wanted to follow up on an ad there, or post an ad for my CD25.
David van den Burgh

Bad Experience with ABLboats.com

Post by David van den Burgh »

To make a long story short(er), I got suckered into paying the $190 listing fee for my boat with the promise that the ABL rep had a couple people looking to buy my type of boat. When I told him I wanted to think it over before committing to the listing, his response was "What's there to think about?! I'm telling you I have someone who wants to buy your boat, and you want to think about it?! Give me your credit card number and we'll get your boat sold." I should have hung up on him, but I, foolishly, gave in and paid the fee. I called him back five minutes after "listing" the boat - never mind that ABL had done nothing for me at that point - and the rep told me there was no way to refund the money. I told him that I felt pressured into listing with them and that I didn't appreciate his approach. He didn't care.

I did some research online, and even contacted several people who had boats listed on the site, and the response was all the same: rude people with empty promises, no queries about their boats, no updated photos, descriptions, etc. Most of the people I talked to said that they experienced the same strong-arm tactics and condescending tone. The BBB has several unresolved complaints filed on their site. The only thing I ever got in response to the ABL listing was the Nigerian email scam.

Your mileage may vary.
Bibster

Good to know, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Post by Bibster »

Lots of sharks in those waters!
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Other sites to buy/sell boats

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

bobdugan wrote:I'm assembling a list of non-yachtworld sites to buy/sell boats:
- sailboatlistings.com
- ebay
- craig's list
- sailing texas

Are there some others?

Bob
Hi Bob,

We've got a pretty good list right here on our web site. Scroll to the top of this page and click on the CDSOA logo to get to our home page, then navigate as follows:

• Where to Look > Buy or Sell your boat or used gear

or go directly to:
http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-boats4sale.html

Good luck,
Cathy
Webmaster--CDSOA, Inc.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Oct 16th, '10, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
bobdugan

Cathy you are my hero :)

Post by bobdugan »

I need to check out our site more often :)
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

www.sailboatlistings.com is very good and free - I've used them several times as a seller, and enjoy browsing there too!
North Branch
Onancock, VA

Post by North Branch »

I found my CD 27 last year on sailboatlistings.com. Their search feature turned up a lot of Cape Dorys. I don't know what the previous owner thought about the site, but I bought the boat.

Jim
North Branch, Onancock, VA

"Of all man-made things there is nothing so lovely as a sailboat. It is a living thing with a soul and feelings." H.A. Calahan
Queen Elvis

ablboats.com

Post by Queen Elvis »

I just called someone about a CD 36 listed on ablboats.com, and she told me the boat was sold ages ago and that she had asked for the listing to be taken down.

Perhaps they leave them up so it seems like they have more listings?

Make of it what you will.

Now can someone please find me a 33, 303 or 36. Thank you!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Queen Elvis

Post by Queen Elvis »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:http://www.boats.com/
... which is the same as yachworld.com, and only has boats for sale by brokers.......

The best resource I've found so far : http://tinyurl.com/4shfrzb