Furling Genoa sail on CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben schifano
Location: 1975 Cape Dory 28, Hull#46 "Donnybrook" Rochester New York

Furling Genoa sail on CD28

Post by Ben schifano »

Hi...."Donnybrook" is being pulled from the sea today for the winter. I have not been able to remove my Genoa sail from it's furler because of a knee injury. I doubt i'll be able to climb on the vessel on the hard to remove it.....so my question is ....what is the general consensus about leaving the sail on the furler through one of our fierce winter seasons here on Lake Ontario. All opinions are welcome....thanx in advance
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Ben,

I wouldn't (and don't) leave it on the foil and exposed to the elements. It's an accident waiting to happen.

David
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

I'm not sure about the weather in Ontario, however here in Florida we had a tropical storm come through a year or two ago with sustained 50-60kt winds and several boats with roller furlers lost thier head sails because the wind eventually unfurled them and they were torn to shreds. These boats were in the water, and had they been on the hard they may have been blown over.

If your winter storms produce strong winds regularly I would find some way to remove it. Perhaps you could pay a kid $20 to take it down under your direction from the ground?
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Get some friends who can take direction and will work for beer, it shouldn't take but 15 minutes. I wouldn't recommend leaving it up and exposed, unless you don't mind risking $2500.00 worth of gear.......beer is much cheaper.
________
Vapor genie vaporizer