DC Area CDers (storage and slips)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Invictus
CDSOA #1251

DC Area CDers (storage and slips)

Post by Invictus »

We're relocating from Newport to DC. I plan on trailering INVICTUS down sometime in early November (by the way, I LOVE my Triad Trailer!)

I have a couple of questions regarding storage and marinas that I'm hoping folks familiar with DC can help with:

1. Winter Storage and summer trailer storage. Our new rental town home in Alexandria lacks boat and trailer parking. Any good suggestions on places to store the boat and trailer in the winter and then just the trailer once I launch in the spring? I'm going to call both Fort Belvoir and Quantico this week (I'm active duty Navy), to see what they have, but I'm open to other suggestions/ideas.

2. Potomac or Chesapeake? I've played the "river sailing game" in Norfolk and I'm not exactly anxious to do it again. However, is the drive vs. ease of usage trade-off worth it to get a slip further away? Again, I think I can get something pretty cheap at Belvoir or Quantico. Anyone with experience at these places? If I go towards the bay, any suggestions? Deale? Further south on Potomac?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate the help!

Jeff
“…It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.â€
Jim Evans

Ft. Belvoir//Chesapeake

Post by Jim Evans »

I'd vote for Ft. Belvoir as your best bet for trailer storage - it would be close to you, and inexpensive.

And I'd definitely vote for sailing the Chesapeake, rather than the Potomac. You'll have infinitely more destination options in the Chesapeake. Marinas in the Deale area will be the closest Chesapeake Bay marinas to you - and I highly recommend Herrington Harbour South, which is about 3 miles south of Deale. Several of us have our CDs there - and it's right on the Bay.
Jim Evans
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Flag Harbor

Post by moctrams »

I've had my boat at Flag Harbor for over 25 years. In my opinion, it is the best location on the Bay.

Flag Harbor Marine Service
P.O. Box 250
St. Leonard, Md. 20685
410-586-1915
flagharbor@yahoo.com
gates_cliff

Bay over the Potomac

Post by gates_cliff »

Welcome to the area and thanks for your service!

I've lived near the Potomac for more years than I care to remember and feel that sailing on the Potomac is very limited. The river has silted in a great deal, the channel is navigable and some areas outside it still have some depth but much of the river has become pretty shallow. It's certaily possible to sail on the river but not nearly as enjoyable as the Bay. I keep my boat in Deale, MD, which is about the closest, in driving time, to Alexandria.

Fort Belvoir is certainly the closest to Alexandria, but only consider it for dry storage as there is no way to get a CD 25 out the very shallow channel in Dogue Creek.
Bibster

I keep my CD25 at Naval Station Annapolis,

Post by Bibster »

across the Severn River from the Academy, and that works well for me. The prices are reasonable (by Annapolis standards, anyway), but the main drawback is that it is pretty hard to get a slip (your active-duty status will help you), so you may have to settle for a mooring ball. There is also a place to store your trailer while the boat is in the water.

Here is a link to the marina homepage: http://www.usna.edu/MWR/marinarental-storagefees.htm
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Thanks

Post by Invictus »

Thanks for the information, I appreciate everyone's advice. It definitely looks like keeping her on the bay is the way to go, even with the commute time...
renmihalov

Solomon's Navy rec facility

Post by renmihalov »

The Navy has a recreation facility in Solomon's, just west of the bridge, with a nice dock and boat storage. It's convenient to some great sailing on the lower bay. It's a drive from Alexandria, but the Navy rates might ease the drive.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Zahniser's Yachting Center

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

If you want a shorter drive, the town of Deale is due east of Alexandria. There are some marina facilities there.

CLICK HERE for marinas in/near Deale, MD.

Be sure to check out Galesville and Shady Side, MD as well. They are just north of Deale.

You may want to take a look at places like Zahniser's Yachting Center in Solomons Island, MD as well. It's just north on the Potomac near the MD/VA border. (There are lots of marine facilites in this area (Patauxent River and its creeks) as well)

http://www.zahnisers.com/

CLICK HERE for marinas on or near the Potomac.
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Invictus,

We were at the NS Annapolis Marina for several years when I was on active duty. They have a wonderful marina on Mill Creek behind the golf course. The entrance to Mill Creek is off of Whitehall Bay just north of the Severn River. The Mill Creek Marina has floating pier, is very quiet and very well protected, and on the same body of water as Cantler's Inn (http://www.cantlers.com) great place for crabs and you can sail right into a slip for dinner.

The marina manager is Ken Taylor (Kiwi) and a super guy. The Annapolis slip rates are significantly discounted. we'd still be there but I retired 2 years ago and went onto the "retired guy" wait list that has +100 names.

We have Sirius at Herrington Harbour South - another good option.

Good luck and let us know where you end up.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Guy W. Leslie

Post by Guy W. Leslie »

Hi Jeff,

I kept my CD 25 at the Navy Recreation Center, Solomons for many years. I retired 12 years ago (go Navy!) but have fond memories of the facility. It's a bit of a drive for you but the savings may be worth it. Good luck!

Guy Leslie
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Problem solved...now I need a temporary place in RI...

Post by Invictus »

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We're on the list for a mooring bouy at USNA Carr Creek Marina in Annapolis. Considered one of their slips, but since we'll realistically only use the boat on weekends, a bouy made more sense.

I probably store her on her trailer at Fort Belvoir through the winter, unless I find a private place that is cheaper.

Thanks again for all the help--this board is great!

No I need to find a place to keep her in RI for a week or two in November until I can get back up here to pick her up...

Jeff
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Norton's Shipyard and Marina

Post by eb1smith »

I hung out on one of their mooring one summer. Nice place and not too expensive. They are located down in Greenwich.
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

One word of caution re. the mooring field at Carr Creek - it is a great, nay...fantastic, location but the exposed fetch (essentially south down the Chesapeake Bay all the way to the Antarctic) can create some exciting rock-n-roll conditions when the wind picks up from the south. I recommend you check on her regularly and be very weary of chaffing on the mooring pendant(s).
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Post by Invictus »

Frank Vernet wrote:One word of caution re. the mooring field at Carr Creek - it is a great, nay...fantastic, location but the exposed fetch (essentially south down the Chesapeake Bay all the way to the Antarctic) can create some exciting rock-n-roll conditions when the wind picks up from the south. I recommend you check on her regularly and be very weary of chaffing on the mooring pendant(s).
The marina requires that you buy their "special" mooring pendant...I wonder if this is related to your comment?

Thanks,
Jeff