Emptying water tanks at seasons end

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SurryMark

use the faucet?

Post by SurryMark »

I just turned on the water pump (with the boat in water and engine running) and opened the faucet till it ran dry. What am I missing? Last year I put in the pink stuff for the winter. This spring I and had a devil of a time clearing the tank of it. In fact, I never got it to what I would want to drink. This fall I'll have another go at flushing the tank, then run it through the sink faucet again, and then try the cheap vodka trick for anti-freeze. Any thoughts?
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

My method

Post by Jim Davis »

Granted this is on the Chesapeake.

Drain the tanks a dry as practical. I have a drain valve in the hose at its lowest point. Once the tanks have stopped running I leave the valve open and run the pump till it blows air at each faucet. I then drain the hot water heater of its fresh water. I don't put pink stuff in the potable water system. I do use it in the holding tank and engine sea water side.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Here's how I do it..

Winterizing a Fresh Water System:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wate ... interizing
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

We finally got to the point that Liz will make coffee with the tank water. Even in the Spring right after recommissioning. And Liz is very particular about our coffee.

After pumping and vacuuming the tanks dry, I add the antifreeze and flush the system. When finished, I vacuum out any antifreeze that remains in the tanks. This keeps it from sitting in the bottom of the tanks and pickling them all winter. It also keeps down the amount of antifreeze that has to be diluted in the system come spring.

Even with this method employed, the water was never deemed worthy of coffee.

Adding a charcoal filter made a huge difference. The water from the tanks now tastes good! Rather than buying cheap vodka to winterize your system, I would recommend the money be spent on a new charcoal filter and a good liquor of your choice to celebrate the fresh taste of your tank water, Steve.
Bob L

draining tanks

Post by Bob L »

What I did was cut the delivery hose (after the manifold valves) and added an inline spigot from my local hardware store. This hose runs below the sole, but drains directly to the bilge beneath. So I select the tank to drain by opening the valve to that tank, open the spigot valve, and wait 7 minutes before I then remove the clean water from the bilge using the manual Whale bilge pump. The flow rate from the valve is about 12 gallons per 7 minutes.