United States Sailboat Show--Annapolis, MD--Oct. 7-11

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

United States Sailboat Show--Annapolis, MD--Oct. 7-11

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

United States Sailboat Show : Annapolis, MD : October 7 - 11, 2010

http://www.usboat.com/us-sailboat-show/home

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfOl6lcrhL8&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>

Find a boat show near you at: http://marinesource.com/boat_shows/
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Anybody going?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Bruce and I will be helping to move a boat from Maine to the Chesapeake at the end of this month. If the weather gods cooperate, we should be in Annapolis in time for the boat show. And we also intend to go to the Caribbean 1500 cruisers reunion party.

While we're there we hope to meet up with some of you guys. So who's going?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
wstringer

Annapolis sailboat show

Post by wstringer »

Carol and I will be there the entire show. We will be staying in the Marriott. We would love to meet any fellow Dorians.

Warren Stringer
Warren Stringer
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Anybody going?

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:Bruce and I will be helping to move a boat from Maine to the Chesapeake at the end of this month. If the weather gods cooperate, we should be in Annapolis in time for the boat show. And we also intend to go to the Caribbean 1500 cruisers reunion party.

While we're there we hope to meet up with some of you guys. So who's going?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy,

I'd love to go but at that exact time (Oct 10th) Julie and I will be somewhere at 30,000 feet on a non-stop flight from JFK (NYC) to Beijing, China. We'll be in China for 3 weeks until we return on Oct 30th. I'd sure love to be in Annapolis but it'll have to wait until next year!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

We expect to attend on Friday, ceteris paribus.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where one can--periodically--lapse into the pedantic), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Russell

Post by Russell »

I intend to be southbound before the show, but there is always a chance of delays so I might be there.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Cathy Monaghan

That's it? Anybody else?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I can't believe that Warren, Mitch and Russell may be the only Cape Dorians attending the boat show in Annapolis. Anybody else?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
evan
Hull #140

Post by evan »

I am in Mansquan inlet now, and intended to stop at Annapolis for a few days. In theory I should be out of there before the show, but in theory I was going to start heading south on September 1st, so who knows.

Speaking of heading south, perhaps any New Jerseyians have some tips about the ICW from Manasquan to Atlantic City? My draft is 4' 10'

The plan had been to head outside to Cape May. We were on our way there (motoring due to light wind) when my engine died a couple of times. So we came in to Manasquan. The short story is I have some gunk in my tank that get's stirred up in a rolly sea. It looks like there isn't any great wind forecast for that leg soon, so we're considering going inside.

Regards,
Evan
The Patriot

NJ ICW

Post by The Patriot »

evan wrote: ... perhaps any New Jerseyians have some tips about the ICW from Manasquan to Atlantic City? My draft is 4' 10' ... my engine died a couple of times ... I have some gunk in my tank that get's stirred up in a rolly sea ...
I'd suggest getting the fuel tank problem fixed now, and there are some good mechanics in the Brielle area who can do the job. That's not the case in AC but it's possible to get help in Cape May.

Meanwhile, with close to 5 feet you will almost certainly have a few issues going from Manasquan to AC inside, particularly behind Long Beach Island and in and around the Beach Haven/Little Egg Inlet area. At AC you will again have to go outside, and if the fuel issue has already given you grief, it will do so again. Delaware Bay is not the place to have engine problems.
MFC
Hull No.128

NJ ICW

Post by MFC »

evan wrote:I am in Mansquan inlet now,

Speaking of heading south, perhaps any New Jerseyians have some tips about the ICW from Manasquan to Atlantic City? My draft is 4' 10'

Regards,
Evan
Hi Evan,
Skipper Bob's section from Manesquan south begins with a note that "vessel's southbound from mile 0.0 to mile 112.1 should go outside along the NJ coast if the draw more than 4.5' or require a clearance of more than 35'. If you plan to move south inside, I'd talk to some real knowledgable locals first.
Matt
MFC
Hull No.128

Re: That's it? Anybody else?

Post by MFC »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:I can't believe that Warren, Mitch and Russell may be the only Cape Dorians attending the boat show in Annapolis. Anybody else?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy-
We're tentatively planning to come by car for (hopefully) 2 days. Most likely Friday and Saturday. Got my eye on a Cape Horn windvane! We havn't confirmed our reservations since, as with everything this year, work is taking priority -- gotta make what money is there to make right now . . ..
Matt
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Cathy et al,

We'll try to go this year - probably Friday unless we take off for Newport RI that weekend...which I'm thinking of doing and surprising the First Mate.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Jim Cornwell

Boat Show

Post by Jim Cornwell »

I'll be there for the ambiance, but with extremely limited shopping expectations unless there are significant deals to be had. Hear that, vendors?
M. R. Bober

Hey Frank.

Post by M. R. Bober »

Frank Vernet wrote:Cathy et al,

We'll try to go this year - probably Friday unless we take off for Newport RI that weekend...which I'm thinking of doing and surprising the First Mate.
You seem pretty sure that the Mate doesn't check this website. :wink:

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we are always on a starboard tack), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Cathy Monaghan

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

evan wrote:I am in Mansquan inlet now, and intended to stop at Annapolis for a few days. In theory I should be out of there before the show, but in theory I was going to start heading south on September 1st, so who knows.

The plan had been to head outside to Cape May. We were on our way there (motoring due to light wind) when my engine died a couple of times. So we came in to Manasquan. The short story is I have some gunk in my tank that get's stirred up in a rolly sea. It looks like there isn't any great wind forecast for that leg soon, so we're considering going inside.

Regards,
Evan
Hi Evan,

Though draft is definitely an issue on the NJ ICW, bridge heights are a bigger issue. You cannot travel the entire NJ ICW via a sailboat. Study your charts carefully, some of the old draw bridges have been replaced with fixed bridges that are only 35'. So you'll have to duck in and out, and most of the inlets are too dangerous to think about when strong winds oppose the tide or in bad weather. You can really only use Shark River, Manasquan, Barnegat, Atlantic City and Cape May inlets.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway