Price gouging?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Price Matching - my opinion

Post by bottomscraper »

Personally I prefer to purchase from a true local retailer (Hamilton Marine in my case) but if I find something they don't have or if their price is way out of line I will look online. I purchase from the dealer with the lower advertised price (like Defender). Why would I give the business to WM? Shouldn't we support dealers who keep prices lower by actually purchasing from them rather than the other guy who will only match?

Hamilton:

http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/

BTW Defender is having the annual Newport Boat Show Sale:

http://www.defender.com/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Well said

Post by Jim Davis »

As I have said before, WM is to me the store of last resort. Have we forgotten that they bought up as may of the regional chains (E&B, M&E and Boat/US to name a few) as they could. Through deep discounting they drove other stores, local and mail order out of business so as to limit sources of supply. Now their prices are on the high side of the spectrum. Yes they will match, but that is a game I'm not to thrilled with. That said I do business with them, mainly when the lead time is short and I need the item. Do I consider it fair to go and look, YES, I also consider it fair to ask questions.

The car buying analogy provides a good basis for this comment. When I am shopping for a car I will test drive a bunch of cars, I will expend a lot of salesman's time, if he can convince me I want to buy his product, from him, I'll do it. That is one of the simple facts of life in selling to the public - the salesman has to earn the sale and he can count on getting his tires kicked.

Bottom line: I generally know what I am after and usually do my own research. If I have lead time I use Defender, Hamilton or Jamestown. Here in the Annapolis area I will go to Fawcett's first. There aren't many "Mom & Pop" stores left in this area that have reasonable inventory in marine supplies. Much can come from small hardware stores or marina ship's stores, but WM has pretty much done its best to become a monopoly.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I pretty much concur with Jim. I try to shop online and find the best price for what I want, I will compare with the WM online catalog, invariably I can get a better price from Jamestown, Hamilton, etc.

I do make purchases at WM, the one in Deale, principally since that where my boat is, and I have no compunction about window shopping or tire kicking.
The Patriot

Re: Ethics of Looking

Post by The Patriot »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... Comparison shopping is always fair and ethical. What's not ... is using resources that you know have associated costs, when you also know that you're not going to buy there ... I think it's okay to ... look to your heart's content. It's not okay to consume the sales guy's time ... when you know you're not buying ... as you consume more resources in order to do research, you're imposing costs on the retailer and on real customers ...
Neil, my good sailing companion, I am almost reduced to Transderm by some of these suggestions. Neglecting for the moment our dear friends at Goldman-Sachs, most retail consumer markets are self-regulating: if the retailer does it right, he or she gets rewarded. I am having no difficulty imagining Adam Smith rolling over in his casket when presented with the concept of "imposing costs on real customers." I've been a customer many times, and even a real one on occasion, and have yet to "impose costs." I assume that if a supplier and I elect to do business, the deal is satisfactory to both of us and The Invisible Hand is working.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Well you definitely aren't women....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Many women love to shop and that's what shopping is -- comparing prices. We always look for the best price and/or service, before we buy. I don't think there's anything unethical about it.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
chase

shopping

Post by chase »

Nothing wrong with shopping around. Having a policy of using a brick and mortar store (especially one in which you have contempt for) then buying from the cheapest place is different, imho. That's OK though, return policies at the cheap places are much less flexible and in the end, this approach can cost you big time.

West Marine publishes its prices next to everyone elses, its your choice whther to buy it or not. Nothing wrong with marking items up to whatever one thinks the market will bear, it's not the power company. West Marine has a lot of real estate and employees to feed, and a big color catalogue with product info. Its unrealistic to think they should compete with the discount stores. I shop at the one in New Bern, the guys there are great and will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need, including matching prices for any product. I feel no need to protect them, I'm just saying that they can be a great chandlery option when their prices are competitive, there are no other independents, or when you're out cruising.

I generally buy from the least expensive place, depending on the product, and often the local work boat store, but none of them will hold chafe protection on the back shelf when this unprepared farmer is racing 400 miles to the coast for storm prep.

Now and again I have a customer that complains rudely about pricing, I ask them "How much did you want me to lose on this?", but of course our margins are much slimmer. They get preferred customer status, like we'd prefer they shop elsewhere.

Chase
Bob Ohler

West Marine Pricing Policy Update

Post by Bob Ohler »

I looked into this. Here is the latest, direct from WM:

WM will glady match legitimate U.S. based competitor pricing within 10 days of their purchase from WM.

WM will also price match online discounters including Amazon.

The item being compared must be an indentical item and in-stock. WM does not add freight to compute the price.

The item and pricing must be verifiable. There are a few exceptions, but the bottom line is, WM will can and will be competitive when asked to do so.

Good luck and fair winds!

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

All well and good for WM, but a pain in the ass for the customer. Why don't they just do it? if I have to go thru the hassel of proving to a vendor his price is too high......screw them, I'll go elsewhere.
________
SUZUKI FRONTE SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Scott

going somewhere else

Post by Troy Scott »

"I have to go thru the hassel of proving to a vendor his price is too high......screw them, I'll go elsewhere."

Ah yes. Therein lies the problem. Often, especially in the south, they are the only game in town if you want it now......

That's why I order online whenever possible, if I can wait.
Regards,
Troy Scott