Painting the interior of my cabin

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tim Ward

Painting the interior of my cabin

Post by Tim Ward »

I have decided to paint the interior of my boat. I have a Bristol 32 but have found that this site is much more informative when it comes to advise on "how to" sailboat projects.

My questions: do I need to sand the fiberglass surface I am going to paint? Do I need to apply a primer? What brand if paint would you recommend to paint the interior? Brush, role, spray?

Any advise would be helpful.

Tim
azucha

Painting Interiors

Post by azucha »

Just like any paint job, all the work is in the prep -- sand, sand, sand, 120, 150, 180, prime, sand, 220, paint, sand 320, paint, sand, paint, paint.

Petit has a mildew resistant paint in white, not sure about colors.
sfreihofer

Interior paint

Post by sfreihofer »

I don't know what surfaces you are painting, but I can tell you what I did on my boat. The interior is a gel coated liner. I scrubbed it. No sanding, no priming, just 2 coats of Interlux Brightsides... a one part polyurethane. The results were excellent, durable, and I have no regrets. Of course, that's not what I did for the interior woodwork finish, though.

Your results may vary.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Tim Ward

Interior paint

Post by Tim Ward »

Stan,

I am painting all the fiberglass in the v-birth, main cabin and head. Currently it is a carmel color that looks outdated. That is why I asked about priming before I paint it white.

Did you use a brush or a roller?

Tim
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

As was mentioned earlier prep is key. Get that surface as clean as possible, TSP, or it's equivilant is a good cleaner, then solvent wash. Sanding with 120/150 grit is more than adequate for paint. Solvent wash again. A bonding primer is a good idea, use a top coat with some gloss so it can be cleaned easily. The small, 1" X6" foam rollers for varnish /enamels work very well.
________
Escape hybrid
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
BillyO

Interior paint

Post by BillyO »

Concernng the "priming" part, A good BONDING prmer is essential to a enduring job.
I speak as a retired painting contractor.... XIM is the best primer available for bonding that I have used. t is available at any good
paint store.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hey Tim;

I used a brush, but a roller would probably have worked very well since the gel coat finish was orange peel. The gel coat was already white, and if you are switching from a darker color, a base coat or two would probably be wise.

I know the common wisdom is to sand the surface to provide grip for the paint, but I haven't had any problems with adhesion. That may just be luck because I didn't sand the surface, but I did clean it well beforehand. This shortcut may involve some risk with certain surfaces. Don Casey has said that polyurethane adheres well to gel coat, and in my experience, he is correct.

I'm not telling you what to do; I'm telling you what I did, and for me, the results have been excellent.

Stan
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
rollo_cd26

Interior Paint

Post by rollo_cd26 »

Are you going to paint below the settees and the front holds?
Does anyone use Interlux bristol beige for repainting the depths of the interior spaces, or has the crowd gone for a interior designer look and pretty colors? My CD26D is original paint on the inside and needs a facelift. I am considering bristol beige since I can't see getting to every cranny space that would show naked with different color paint. Will just a sanding job be adequate prep?
Rollo
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

The interior hull on my boat was that swimming pool blue color and in need of attention. Everythng was removed that could be and the the hull, under the cockpit, engine room, bilge and any areas that could be reached scrubbed TSP and rinsed. Followed with a solvent wash, lightly sanded and solvent washed again. I used an oil based modified urethane exterior paint,(Pittsburg) semi gloss, tan /beige. Rolled on 3 coats with a foam roller. The finish looks great is durable and cleans easily. That was !
10 years ago.......and that awful blue is only a memory.
________
Marijuana Strain Index
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I used interlux brightside when I did the headliner in the head. I did not prime, but I did sand it very well. I probably should have primed though to be honest, and when I do the rest of the headliner in the main cabin I likely will.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ed Norton

Painting Interior

Post by Ed Norton »

I used MURALO Acrylic Ultra no primer 5 years ago and it still looks great. Oil (Alkyd) based products are going to yellow. I would recommend this product on anything insid ethe boat.