Earl

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Let's hope that some benevolent weather god reads your post and sees fit to tweek Earl's course much further east!! Take care of yourself Andy. You can always get another boat and house but we can't get another one of you!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Doesn't look good for Cape and Islands

Post by Joe Myerson »

The latest forecasts call for the storm to pass closer to Nantucket than originally predicted, and the Cape and Islands are now under a Hurricane Watch.

I spent yesterday stripping Creme Brulee of sails, sail cover, life ring and any other potential on-deck missiles. And, thanks to this board, I secured my cockpit lockers for the first time. It was hotter than I can ever remember, with almost no breeze at all.

I also tied a second safety line on the mooring, putting a chafe-guard on the chock and allowing plenty of slack to the mooring buoy.

Lynne and I each had a kayak on the beach -- and I hauled them to my parents' house, about 1 mile inland, along with the dinghy.

My hope is that Squeteague Harbor will serve, as it has in the past, as a comfortable hurricane hole. I was vacationing in New Mexico when the last big storm hit the area -- Hurricane Bob in 1991 -- so I was unable to take any precautions. My Marshall Sanderling catboat survived the storm with no damage. During that storm, it was the surge, rather than the wind, that inflicted damage. It broke up the walkway to the dock, carried off those dinghies still at the dock, and hurled a number of kayaks into the bushes well above the high-water mark.

As Neil observes, the tides are not scheduled to be especially high when Earl might pay a visit to our region.

My chief concern: When I left the Cape yesterday afternoon there were still a number of dinghies tied to our little dock, and the kayaks were still stacked two-deep on the beach.

For those of you farther south, especially in North Carolina: Best of luck.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Doesn't look good for Cape and Islands

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:The latest forecasts call for the storm to pass closer to Nantucket than originally predicted, and the Cape and Islands are now under a Hurricane Watch.
As is Cape Cod Bay and Buzzards Bay. Boston Harbor is still under a Tropical Storm Watch. I do note that the Hurricane Watch, etc., continues to creep a bit further west with each update.

Forecast for Boston Harbor over Friday night is for wind to 40 kts and gusts to 50 kts. I'll consider that the minimum we might experience. I'll be doubling up lines and removing all that's removable. It's also likely I'll turn the boat so that it's bow to the northeast. (That should be interesting as backing into the slip is something that's virtually impossible to do!)

That all said, 50 kts, a marina that's behind a stone breakwater and moderate tides would suggest that all will be safe. There's a good chance I'll be on board Friday night (but I continue to watch the storm track).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson

It's now a watch

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil,

Having checked the NOAA website (http://www.weather.gov) at 1119, I notice that Bristol Counties (MA and RI), Cape Cod (including Buzzards Bay) and the Islands, as well as Boston's South Shore, as far as Hull, are now under Hurricane Watch.

No warnings yet ...

Good luck!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Earl preps

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,
Yesterday (01 Sep.) spent 7+ hours rigging E.L. for hurricane:
- The genny, dodger, bimini, MOB pole, horseshoe buoy, strobe light, Lifesling, Magna grill and propane bottles are below decks.
- The life Raft is in RA's car.
- The boom w/ mainsail is lowered w/ the main wrapped up like a cocoon and the boom end tied off to several cleats, etc.
- Duct taped the leading edge of the hatches, solar panel & mast boot.
- Duct taped the covers on the knotmeter, fathometer, compass and auto helm control.
- Turned the Stbd dorade to face aft.
- Snap shackled the cockpit locker latches.
- Put the boat on it's mooring (1000 lb train wheel buried in the mud), with three separate lined to E.L.
It was 90+ degrees F and I was bushed - barley enough energy to drink the Wild Turkey RA made ;-)
With the 'average' projected track 'Earl 'will pass well east of us. Thus Pine Isl. Bay will have winds from the north and NE without significant fetch - little worry!!
Saturday will re-rig E.L. for sea.
F/W,
Leo
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Joe Myerson

Uh-oh, it's now a Warning!

Post by Joe Myerson »

I won't keep relaying what I find on the NOAA website, but the Massachusetts coast, from Cape Cod and the Islands through Hull has now been put on a Hurricane WARNING.

Luckily I don't have cable TV, so I won't get to see the semi-hysterical pretty boys (and ladies) waiting minute-by-minute for the storm to hit -- if it really does.

Best of luck to all!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
M. R. Bober

Do not forget to take your oilies with you.

Post by M. R. Bober »

Just another thought. When you have everything secured to your satisfaction and are leaving the boat, TAKE YOUR FOUL WEATHER GEAR WITH YOU. If you are going to need it, you don't want to run to the boat without it.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (Where it would be impolite to ask how I came to provide this hopefully helpful tip,.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Andy Denmark

All secure

Post by Andy Denmark »

1230 SITREP 090210

I've done all I could to secure everything and the water level and wind speeds are both increasing. The wind is strong enough that we couldn't get the Alberg 30 at my pier out to moor her so she's double tied with good, mostly new lines replacing the old, worn out ones. She should be fine as the slip is huge for her and shes tied in the middle of it with lots of slack.

Both Rhiannon and Anne Freeman are riding well to their double anchors and Windsong is secure on her mooring. Luvit, Ron Turner's CD-30/K is also in the mix on a mooring. Strangely, there're only two other boats in the vicinity. Usually a dozen or more show up. Hard to explain?

I've been working steadily since nearly 0500 and am exhausted. Just ate some lunch and will shower, pack and get the hell out of here. There's really nothing else to do and a nice motel room with a pool sounds pretty good right now!

Earl just downsized to Cat 3 but the wind field is huge and Oriental is just at the NW edge according to the Weather (read non-stop commercials) Channel. The slightest jog westward and the core will pass over Oriental. No sense staying here as there's nothing else that can be done until this storm goes past.

Looks like you foks in the northeast will be getting some of this Friday night and Saturday. Hope thigs turn out okay for you.
________
Vapor tower vaporizer
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Re: Earl preps

Post by Kilgore »

Leo MacDonald wrote: (1000 lb train wheel buried in the mud),
Leo
Very cool.
John Danicic

Earl.....

Post by John Danicic »

Jeepers guys:

Hurricane preparations are a lot more involved then getting our boats ready for a Lake Superior winter.

Good luck to all our east coast friends. Our thoughts are with you here on the big fresh water sea.

Prepare on...

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Handy tip

Post by Sea Hunt »

M. R. Bober wrote: Another tip: If you see Jim Cantore in your town, leave!
Cantore cited Cape Hatteras, NC :!: :!: Evacuate immediately (if not sooner) :wink:

Everyone from NC north to Maine - I wish you a safe weekend. The only good things about Earl (like most hurricanes) - they give you a warning for prep and they come and go quickly.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI
CD 10, Hull #100 to be restored

Post by Kquist »

We wish you all safe seas and hope you and your boats come out safe on the other side.
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails."
Mark Twain
Andy Denmark

Evacuated this afternoon

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here I am in Raleigh in the LaQuinta. They called for mandatory evacuation and there was nothing more I could do on anything so I left. Got here, slept a couple of hours, went to Fat Daddy's and ate the world's best hamburger. TV says Earl is now Cat 3 and moved eastward. Still the outer bands will hit Oriental and the water is already up as it was just overwashing the finger pier as I left.

Let's see what tomorrow morning brings. Evacuees have a phone number to call to see when it's okay to return. There's an interesting dichotomy going on concerning reporting but I'll address that later. To bed early as I am pretty well whipped!

This written on my new netbook with no room for my big fingers making typos prevalent. I see a remote keyboard in my future thereby defeating the reason for the netbook in the first place.

Have not read any postings here since before I left so much of this might be redundant. Just wanted to check in ................
________
Bmw r1200c
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Went out today to check on my Ty. I'm in the upper bay and in a nice protected cove with a 300 lb mushroom so am not too worried. Took off the boom and stored inside the cabin. I was surprised at the number of dodgers/biminis and mainsails w/covers still up.