That sweet lil Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

That sweet lil Typhoon

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

After owning her for two years I just now discovered what a wonderful boat the Typhoon Weekender is. I guess better late then never. We had been pre occupied with sailing our CD31 and paid little attention to the Typhoon since we brought her down here to Corpus Christi.

I recently picked up a used Harken traveler and installed it on her. This gave me reason to go play with the boat and boy is she sweet. That little boat is less tender then the CD31, which I have no problem with how the CD31 sail, and it handles the choppy bay water that go with the 15 to 20 mph winds we get regularly here. What a delight!! I now get up in the morning and sail until it gets too hot and then go back in the evening to do some more. What a nice thing to discover!!
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

AMEN

Post by Oswego John »

Kevin,

A big Amen to that, brother. You got that right.

Pure joy, (white knuckles and all.) :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I was out today on Biscayne Bay on S/V Tadpole. I was only able to last 2 hours because of the heat (indexed to 104 today :!: ) but what a great two hours.

The winds were steady at about 9-10 kts ENE. I was using the hank on working jib and, for the first time, managed to get S/V Tadpole so that I did not touch the tiller for more than 10 minutes and kept an almost perfect 190 degree magnetic heading down toward Matheson Hammock from the sailing club. Sweet :D :D :D

When under sail, the heat is not too bad but at the mooring when arranging everything (pendants, sails, covers, checking O/B, cleaning up, etc.) it is amazing how debilitating the heat can be. I have lived in South Florida more than 43 years and just do not remember it being this bad. I know I'm now old, fat, out of shape, etc. :cry: but geez Louise. I went through 6 bottles of water during my 3 hours on the water today (2 hrs sailing; 1 hr prep & clean up) and could easily have had 2-3 more.

Not surprisingly, S/V Tadpole does not seem to mind the heat at all. :wink: Typhoon Weekenders are the true gems of the Alberg designed fleet of Cape Dory sailboats. Urrahh :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I dropped my mast this morning to fix a few thing and get her ready for my first race on her this weekend. I no longer need to take my house to the races. Yea haw
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Dino
Location: Oriental, NC. CD 25D. Previously CD22, Typhoon and CD 10.

I'll second that.

Post by Dino »

I'll second that. Or am I thirding or fourthing it by now?

I'm out on our Weekender every weekend and sometimes weekdays after work, even if there's no wind. Better to be windless on a Typhoon out on the water than windless, sitting in the house.

I was on the lake early this morning. The wind was nil to little and less. The water oily in its stillness, the occasional little puffs would tease around me and sometimes touch me. The little Ty ghosts along on nothing.

When the wind is away, there are things that can be done, so I swabbed the deck a bit, scubbed some teak work, fiddled with the way the anchor is stowed and watched the world around me. With the binoculars, I spotted two mature bald eagles high in a pine on the near shore, and watched bright white egrets strolling way up on the far shore near the creek.

The osprey were everywhere, their innocent little peeping calls belying their skill at catching prey. Circling, then hovering, then diving with a splash, almost always taking to wing again with talons hanging low, heavy with a fish. Awesome birds, beautiful.

Cheryl called me as I was almost back home, wanting to join me for a sail. I explained there was no wind because though she loves sailing as much as I do, in her book sailing means moving. If you're not moving, you're not sailing, you're sitting. Sitting isn't that fun. But she was undeterred, weatherunderground had forecast winds at 6mph and she wasn't hearing anything else.

So she came down the hill to the lake just as I ghosted in. The wind arrived with her as the forecast had promised and as she'd smugly assured me that it would.

It was a wonderful day for sailing. No wind, gentle wind, good wind, it's always great on a Ty!
Oswego John

Hey Dino

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Dino,

I enjoyed that very much. Very vivid descriptions.

Send us some more from time to time.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
wmbwalker
Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by wmbwalker »

Well I'll have to jump in and agree with all of you. I sail in Puget Sound with the Olympic mountains on display to the West, Mount Rainier to the South and Mt Baker to the North. We seem to get a nice afternoon, early evening blow that easily gets the Ty to 5 knots -- and then it just stops, the sun sinking behind the peaks, the nice long northwest summer glow. I lazily drift back to the mooring --watching the seals and fisherman try to land salmon---- life is sweeet. My only concern is that these beautiful afternoons and the crummy economy are teaming up to make it difficult to focus on running a business!
Bill
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Wonderfull Tys

Post by Scott Launey »

OK, I'll chime in. I had a great afternoon yesterday on San Diego Bay in 10 kts of wind just solo sailing around. I had the main sheet attachment at the aft end of the boom break off while sailing on Thursday in heavier winds and after the fix just had to try it out. The nut on the inside of the end cap broke in half and the bolt pulled out; woke me up from my dreamy sail. The fitting's only 44 years old; they just don't make 'em like they used to.
I also took off my Seagull OB and stored it down below in the cabin; she looks better without a motor on the stern and I've still got it just in case. More fun to sail in and out anyway.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
wingreen

She speaks to me...

Post by wingreen »

Welcome to the club, Kevin! I love my Ty more than any other saiboat I've owned or sailed. She really is a sweet little lady! Where do I start?... Her timeless figure and lines? Her gentle and forgiving personality? Her sophisticated simplicity? The way she makes my heart flutter every time I lay eyes on her? Or, the way every time I take her out, I can't wait 'til our next date?
Lang

Green!

Post by Lang »

Guys! I am so green with envy.

Feeling so bad that I cant just jump onboard and sail away on Eleanor rightaway! She's on the hard and needing more attention than I can give right now, but I'll be back and sailing again on that sweet lil' typhoon!
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Lang,

Sorry to hear about Eleanor. :cry:

I hope that your Ty isn't in too much trouble. If I'm not being too personal, what's wrong with her? Routine bottom work or something more serious?

I hope that she is back in the water soon and she will again give you lots more pleasure.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Lang

Oil spill

Post by Lang »

Hey John,

No worries. Eleanor was berthed at the marina when a large working vessel rammed into the oil tanker off Singapore East Coast, spilt 2500 tonnes of crude. Nothing compared to the Gulf, but due the close proximity of the collision to the marina, crude got into the marina before anybody could actually haul out!

Fresh new bottom paint (Apr 10') is gone, and original gelcoat is stained. She will be needing paint on her topsides now. Waiting for oil tanker insurance settlement to paint. .. lawyers involved due to difficulties working with the underwriters.

Its pretty sad.. but we'll be okay.