Thinking of moving up to CD27, Advice please

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillyO

Thinking of moving up to CD27, Advice please

Post by BillyO »

I have been sailing a CD22 for three seasons now. It is a wonderful small yacht.
What additional costs and headaches will I encounter by moving up five feet and going to an inboard ?
Being 6'2"myself, The cabin is not a comfortable area to hang out.
Nor is the deck the perfect place to move around on the 22'
How does the CD27 sail ? THANKS
BILLYO
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The 27 has a reputation as a great sailing boat and shouldn't disappoint.

As for cost, a boat that surveys well and has relatively simple systems should prove reliable, without much in the way of surprises.

Bigger boat so slips will cost more. More bottom paint. Etc.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I wouldn't consider it a headache as much as a responsibility but maintenance is the biggest addition. Keeping a 22 ship shape is plenty easier than a 27 or larger. Yes the costs do go up, but if you can do most of the work yourself you can make it manageable.

How does she sail? Wonderful, I can keep up with the larger Catalina's in a light breeze and be very comfortable when the winds get heavier.

Operating costs minus the storage and mooring are negligible. The Yanmar 8 sips the diesel and is very easy to work on. The accommodations are just right for longer cruises. But you know how it goes, just a little more space would be perfect. I wish I had a CD 30.

Good boat to move up to from a 22, very easy to sail. I am still grinning and enjoying the boat 5 years later.

[img]http://www.cd27spirit.us/images/board/Spirit10.jpg[/img]
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Its a great boat!!! I single hand most of the time and the boat is very easy to handle solo, especially after I brought the lines back to the cockpit.

Its a tough boat and can sail well in big winds. The YSM8 is somewhat underpowered in my view but frankly its always gotten me where I've needed to go. Mine is 30 years old and its still going strong.

Its a good boat for 2 people to cruise in. Sure it can accomodate more but its a little cramped for more than two if you are doing anything more than short cruising trips.

Every time I think about moving up, I realize that the CD27 is perfect for the sailing I do.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
barfwinkle

NOt to mention

Post by barfwinkle »

They are the most beautiful Vessel of the Line. IMHO

Fair Winds and if you can adjust to the increase in maintenance/paint/haul out/slip rent. GO FOR IT.
Bill Member #250.
VidaliA
"VidaliA"
Hull # 379
Wilton, N.H.

Post by VidaliA »

If you plan on doing any cruising I would suggest looking at the 28. They are quite a bit more boat than a 27, and there are some great deals out there.

2 cents from a happy 28 owner.
Dean Abramson

Thumbs up

Post by Dean Abramson »

Once you get standing headroom and a diesel, you will be a very happy guy. When we went from our Seaforth 20 to a CD 25D, it was like "wow!" The 27 is a great boat. Go for it.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Moving on up

Post by Gary M »

BillyO

My boat yard's minimum charge for bottom painting is 25 feet so I'm paying for 3 feet I don't have! A 27 would only be 2 feet more then the minimum.

Find a good 27, with a good engine, and enjoy life. The CD27 is one fine boat. I wish one had came into my life during all these years.

Gary
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Billy:

If I recall correctly you live on Lake Winnie, NH. There is a person selling a nice CD 27 (I believe in Maryland). His name is "Rennie". He advertised her for sale on this board a few weeks ago. I am sure you can find the post.

Bill in OK:

With the greatest of respects, the most beautiful CD designed by Mr. Alberg is the Cape Dory 25D. :D :wink: The next most beautiful CD, once again designed by Mr. Alberg, is the Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender.

As you are the owner of a beautiful CD 25D it is shocking that you are unaware of this un-assailable fact. :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I second everything warren said. perfect boat for two people. not much to go wrong, big enough to handle nasty weather but small enough to handle by yourself. the cost differential for bottom paint is inconsequential.
Mark Abramski
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Fine

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

You will do fine with a 27. I am not 6/2 but I moved from a Typhoon to a 25D/. Standing head room, inboard power and bunks that are actually sleepable are really big pluses. I love sailing it, and sometime I just read the New York Times comfortably sitting or lying (above or below decks) on Susan B. Both the 25D and 27 are easy to single hand and have a semi-cult following. If you are serious you should compare the 27 to the 28. They are different boats.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
House

Post by House »

I second the post by "Vidalia." If you are considering a 27 you might as well look at a 28! At 6'2" you might find the 28 a bit more comfortable, especially for cruising. We looked at a 27 too but liked the extra room and layout of the 28. Can't go wrong either way though.

Richard
BillyO

CD27

Post by BillyO »

Thanks alot for your help. I want to enjoy the BEST part of our Fall sailing with the 22'. Over the inter I'll be looking at the 27/28 options.
jneely

Go for it!

Post by jneely »

The CD27 is a great boat. It is small enough to single hand, but large enough for comfortable cruising for two. I was once caught out in 40 knot winds on Peconic Bay. (Thank you weather service.) The boat performed beautifully. The only issue I have with my boat is that it doesn't back down well in reverse. It is always an adventure. That said, Troika is the best investment I have ever made.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Go for it!

Post by Neil Gordon »

jneely wrote:The only issue I have with my boat is that it doesn't back down well in reverse. It is always an adventure.
Often mentioned and not the exclusive doman of the CD27. It's fun to complain and ponder various coping mechanisms, but for sure it's no reason not to buy (and otherwise love) a Cape Dory. (Alberg designed them to sail forward, and they do that very well.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698