What Sized Jib on a Typhoon Daysailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff D

What Sized Jib on a Typhoon Daysailer

Post by Jeff D »

I have owned a Daysailer for about three years and I am curious in regard to the size of the jib used by others. When I bought the boat it had what I believe to be its original sales that included what I measured to be a 70% jib. I sailed the boat with these for the first year and found it difficult to balance. In the winter of my first year I bought a new loose footed main and a 110% jib both from Cruising Direct. With these new sails the balance is much better, but I have difficulty in sailing close to the wind. With the jib sheets outboard of the shrouds I can't tack through any less than 120 degrees. I have experimented with running the sheets inboard of the shrouds to the cuddy mounted bullseye (this is the way the old blade was run). I can point higher but the leech rubs against the shrouds and this doesn't help off the wind.

What do others with this boat use for a jib? How are the sheets run? How close to the wind can you point?
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Jeff, I had a 100% jib made when I switched to roller furling several years ago. I run the sheets through the bullseyes on top of the cuddy. The leech does not rub on the shrouds. I'm satisfied with how the boat performs. I'm quite sure I point higher than you describe with your sheets outboard of the shrouds.

I don't consider myself a "performance" sailor. It's possible I'm satisfied with a level of performance that you might find lacking. I sail mostly on the Connecticut River, with occasional longer trips on the L.I. Sound. I thought this arrangement would give me the best visibility under my jib at all times.

For what it's worth, "racing" friends who have sailed with me have played with different sheeting arrangements, (e.g. outside the shrouds to the toe-rail-mounted tracks aft of the winches), only to end up bringing them back inboard.

My goal was to keep things simple and faithful to how the boat was rigged when I got it. This works for me.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

the jib at 70% is a storm jib,

you can goto a 90% will get to the mast, 110% is two feet longer,
130% is two feet longer and 150%,

for the day sailor or weekender i would use the 110% you will get the rails in the water ever time...
winthrop
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

For the record, I just dug out the paperwork from my jib order, and it is in fact 110 percent. Winthrop, do you lead your sheets inboard or outboard of the shrouds?