Head model, 1980 CD-27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Head model, 1980 CD-27

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Does anyone know the brand and model of the head installed on a 1980 CD-27? I think its a Groco unit but I can't remember the model.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

A few years ago I removed one on mine and it was the cheapest Wilcox Crittenden model. It was called the Head Mate. I bought a new one to replace it and it fit without any problem.

Oops I see it has been discontinued.

If I were doing it again I would try the Raritan brand but don't know how well it would fit.
Ron Churgin
Bill Chapple

Post by Bill Chapple »

The head in my CD 27 which is also 1980 was a Groco Model HF Manual Head. I replaced it with the same model a couple of years ago. Seems to work fine. The greatest problem I had was connecting the hoses.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Thanks guys. I think its the Groco HF but here are a couple of photos of it.

M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Warren,
Your boat (1980) probably had a Groco HC, which had a two bolt flange connecting the pump assembly to the base. However your photo shows the three bolt flange of the HF. The HF is the current model, I think.

FWIW: West Marine charges over $70 for a replacement toilet seat for your head. It is a Bemis unit which can be obtained (with shipping) for about $20. A few years back I replaced RESPITE's HF with a new HF for not much more than the cost of the rebuild kit.

Are you having trouble?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where you are never alone unless you need to work on the head), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Warren Kaplan

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Mitch,

The unit doesn't work when trying to wet flush but it works fine when the lever is switched to dry flush. I'm not sure what the exact problem is but will wait until the boat is on the hard to find out.

Right now just taking a small amount of seawater in a bucket duplicates the wet flush and then the dry flush finishes the job. So at this point its only a minor inconvenience.

I suppose I could just replace the cylinder (if I find the problem is there) or replace the entire head if its only a few bucks more than a rebuild kit or cylinder.

I was thinking of getting a different make altogether but if I can get another HF then the ease of an exact fit is very alluring!!

Thanks for the help!
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Warren,
FWIW: When I replaced the HF on RESPITE with another HF, I was surprised to find that the pattern of the mounting bolts for the base had changed. It was no big deal. Drill two holes and patch the old ones, but it was a surprise.

Also, when we bought STARVIEW, the HF had the same problem that you described. We replaced the entire head, but I was shocked by the increase in price over the past three or four years. The Jabsco Compact is significantly less expensive than the HF, and is worth a look.

Good luck.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (home of no cheap flush puns), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Warren Kaplan

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Mitch,

I'll definitely look at the Jabsco compact!! Thanks again!
Bob Ohler

Warren, the part you need..

Post by Bob Ohler »

Warren, I am prettty sure the part you need is a rectangular, stamped piece of a silicone-like, rubber that fits inside the pump. It litterally is a 5 minute fix! I have had the same problem you describe. Groco Tech Services was extermely helpful and I ordered the part directly from Groco in Hanover, Maryland.

410-712-4242

http://www.groco.net/

Fair winds!

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Warren Kaplan

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Bob,

Thanks!! I'll definitely look into that!!
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Warren:

I replaced the head in Remedy a few years ago, when it had a problem that I don't recall and I found, like Mitch, that a whole new unit was a few dollars more than a rebuild kit.

I also seem to recall that I broke something during the installation, and had to call customer service to get a replacement part. Also pleasant and easy.

BTW, do you happen to know the size, manufacturer, and model number of your holding tank? I am in an on again-off again search for a larger capacity tank.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI