Must all Cape Dory's be white?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

CD36 colors

Post by Troy Scott »

OK, I must allow that a CD36 looks good in most any color :-)
Regards,
Troy Scott
Lost Quays

Multi colored Cape Dorys vs. White

Post by Lost Quays »

I have to thank all of you for your comments regarding whether or not Cape Corys have to be white. Summarizing the comments:

1. Cape Dorys look good in most any color though I suspect most agree we wouldn't want to see one in pink. Darker colors for up north, lighter colors for the south.

2. Cape Dorys maintain their value even if not white. I think given the photos that some might actually go up in value. But then, the owners of the CDs in the photos clearly maintain them and that drives value more than anything.

I'm also very happy to hear that I'm not the only one collecting sailboat photos. My photo file has nicely expanded thanks to the many contributions to this post.

I picked up some nice photos of blue CDs. Any photos of reds, greens & others?

Lost Quays
Troy Scott

flag? or stars and stripes?

Post by Troy Scott »

Maine Sail and all,

While looking at your beautiful photo of the stars-and-stripes blue CD36, I thought I could see that the white bootstripe looked a little dirty. I enlarged the photo (a lot) and yes, it's definitely dirt. We had our CDSOA Central Gulf Coast Fleet meeting yesterday in my hangar, where everyone climbed all over the boat and made many comments. It was a great day. One of the topics of discussion was colors. One of your photos was taped to the topsides. It's a Flag Blue Cape Dory with a white boot. The almost universal comment was that, at least here, white boots are always going to look dingy. I guess to keep things looking better it would be wise to find a color that is both complementary and will not show the harbor grunge so badly.

I'm still stuck on Flag Blue topsides, but a small voice keeps telling me a lighter topsides color would be smarter here in the Deep South.
Regards,
Troy Scott
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

:wink: picture this,
sandstone deck,
kelly green sides,
burgundy or red bottom,
the old colors of the last or two century on clipper ships...
thats what ilike,
:roll: Winthrop