Missing boater?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Missing boater?

Post by abcnuzeman »

I just caught a news report on WABC, NY about a missing boater on Long Island Sound. The owner was last seen on his sailboat Thursday afternoon then his boat was found drifting, covered with blood. It looked like it could be a Cape Dory, but the footage was dark. I was sailing on Jamaica Bay that same afternoon in 15 kts of wind from the east. Not difficult conditions. I hope this turns out well, but it sounds ominous.
David Owens
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Missing boater?

Post by abcnuzeman »

Further information according to Newsday, S/V CARAMAR was found by Suffolk Marine Bureau in Lloyd Harbor.
dennfri

Missing boater

Post by dennfri »

It definitely looked like a CD 27.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

It definitely is a Cape Dory 27. I know because the boat is moored about 100 yards from mine. I informally met the owner while he was washing his boat at the dock. I hope this turns out alright.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Missing boater?

Post by Neil Gordon »

abcnuzeman wrote:Further information according to Newsday, S/V CARAMAR was found by Suffolk Marine Bureau in Lloyd Harbor.
There's no listing in the registry for a 27 named Caramar. My CDSOA member directory is on the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I'm quite sure I've seen that boat sailing off Oyster Bay before. But that's all I know about it.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »