Bosun's Seat design and suggestions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rorik

Post by rorik »

I have a climbing harness from REI ( ~ $60) and a collapsible canvas/leather bucket ( ~$15 - Harbor Freight) hooked to it. I use the mainsheet fiddle blocks and about 150' of line, raised by the main halyard, to hoist myself to the top of the mast on my CD28.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Don't trust a shackle when you go up the mast. I had always figured on using my boom vang with 4:1 purchase to haul myself up. The vang blocks attached to the bails by a snap shackle. Last year in Delaware Bay, a tug came close to us (no barge attached) and the wake was significant enough to shear one shackle (Garhauer Shackles). Luckily, I never acted on my idea of using the vang.

I've always secure a bowline (either as backup when using a shackle or the bowline with a shackle backup) when I'm hoisted up.

Bob

BTW, I returned the block to Garhauer and they replaced the block for $35. These aren't the ones they sell now, but an older version.
rorik

Post by rorik »

This hardware and 3/8" Samson XLS:

Fiddle Blocks with Becket, Cam Cleat and Adjustable Shackle
30-06 US - Stainless Steel Blocks
length: 8-1/2 width: 4-1/2
weight: 18 oz. shackle: 1/4
sheave diameter: 2-5/8

Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle Safe working load 2000 lbs

Fiddle Blocks with Adjustable Shackle
30-01US - Stainless Steel Blocks
length: 7-3/8" width: 2-9/16"
weight: 9 OZ shackle: 1/4"
sheave diameter: 2-5/8"

Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle. Safe working load 2000 lbs.

That's coupled to the main halyard and then the climbing harness is coupled to the bottom of the fiddle block.
Shackles are these: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productd ... &cid=14423

Everything has to be unscrewed by hand to come apart.
I can pull myself up using just one hand and keeping tension on the cam cleat end with the other. When I get to the height I want, I tie it off above the cam cleat and then tie off a safety line around the mast.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bob,

If you want a climbing harness, you can get a Spinlock Mast Pro Harness, which is a climbing harness designed for marine use (whatever that means), for $150+ from a marine supplies store (West Marine, Pyacht, Landfall Navigation, etc.) or a Petzl climbing harness for $50+ from a sporting goods supplies store (REI, Sierra Trading, Campmor, etc.). Petzl makes high quality stuff. I don't know how Spinlock can justify the price of their harness.

A bosun's chair will also be somewhere around $150+.

By the way, right now Landfall Navigation has the Petzl Elite Calidris C57 Harness on sale for $89.95; the Spinlock Mast Pro Harness for $159.00; and the Harken Ballistic Nylon Deluxe Bosun's Chair for $189.95 (it aint on sale).

If you want to make a bosun's chair, Sailrite sells a kit for $81. You'll need a heavy-duty sewing machine.
http://www.sailrite.com/Bosuns-Chair-Kit-Navy-Sunbrella

- Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Cathy and Bob:

The Spinlock Mast Pro is one of the ones tested and recommended by Practical Sailor. The article stated it had a retail price of $175 with a 2 year warranty.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mshopenn

Bosun's chair

Post by mshopenn »

Really, a good climbing harness, available in any decent mountaineering store (REI for example) is amazingly safe, comfortable, easy to store and reasonably priced.
rorik

Post by rorik »

Spent 1/2 hour in the air in this two weekends ago.......never felt like I was going to slip out like in a normal bosuns chair. Fairly comfy too. My tool/parts bag is attached with a locking carabiner.
http://www.rei.com/product/768095

http://www.rei.com/category/4500075
mshopenn

harness

Post by mshopenn »

Dere ya go, mon!
Bob Ohler

Thanks everyone!

Post by Bob Ohler »

Ask Cathy a question and she will get you the complete answer!

Many thanks to eveyone else here as well.

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey, :roll:

do it the old way,

like on the clipper ships,

mount steps on the mast from bottom to top on the mast...

:) sounds better to me...
winthrop
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

A number of years ago there was a guy that had an old wooden boat. To get up the mast, he attached a halyard to an extension ladder and went up the mast that way. This was while still tied up in his slip though. Thing is, the ladder would want to rotate around the mast as he climbed! Just one of the more interesting things this guy did on a regular basis.