Wheel or tiller on Cape Dory 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Wheel or tiller on Cape Dory 27

Post by Sea Hunt »

A question for past and present owners of a Cape Dory 27.

All of the CD 27s I have looked at have a tiller. Did Cape Dory Yachts mfg. any CD 27s with a wheel or would this be a prior owner's modification :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
barfwinkle

Options

Post by barfwinkle »

Robert I am pretty sure a wheel would have been an option to the original purchaser, but I would think that most came with tillers.

JMTCW. Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Bob Ohler

Wheel vs tiller

Post by Bob Ohler »

I know the wheel was an option on the CD28. I have never heard of nor seen a CD27 with a wheel.

Bob O.
CD30 #335
sv "Aloha Spirit"
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Ron M.

they're around

Post by Ron M. »

I've seen a few 27's with wheels........there was a CD25 nearby for sale a while ago that had an Edson pedestal/wheel. I think the 30 was the first to offer a wheel as standard, tiller being an option on that model....... but don't quote me.
________
Yamaha pc-50 specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:19, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

There is at least one CD27 with an owner-modified worm-gear wheel similar to the early 30Ks.

Having owned a beautiful CD27 for five years my personal preference would be the tiller. She sails wonderfully with a tiller.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Instant hard over on the rudder vs. turning and turning a wheel. I have the tiller and would agree with others, the tiller is the way to go on the 27.

To my understanding an Edson wheel was offered as an option and probably installed by the dealer at time of purchase. Unless a previous owner installed one on his/her own.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

If you are seeking opinions...
We sailed TIA MARI CD27 (1979) for almost twenty years and never thought of converting from a tiller to a wheel. She handled like a big dinghy (i.e. very responsive to the helm). While the tiller limits the seating in the cockpit, to a degree, a wheel with pedestal would not increase the usable space. The cost and effort to convert is significant, and the result is (IMHO) not an improvement.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where I may have a spare opinion, or two), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Bob Ohler

1983 Brochures

Post by Bob Ohler »

I have a copy of the 1983 Cape Dory 27 brochure. All of the photos show a tiller. I see no mention of a wheel option.

The 1988 Option Price List for the CD28 shows:
Pedestal Wheel Steering w/ Controls $1,095
Pedestal Brake $150
Pedestal Guard $150
Pedestal Compass (Ritchie SP-5) $450
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Ha

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

First of all, let me re phrase the question in its correct form-What is better, wheel or tiller? OK-Carry on
Mike
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Ha

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Mike Wainfeld wrote:First of all, let me re phrase the question in its correct form-What is better, wheel or tiller? OK-Carry on
Mike
Very funny!!! Although I think this thread was headed in the direction of people reflecting their personal preferences rather than stating or dictating what's better for anyone else. There have surely been some very funny (and heated) exchanges here on that in the past!!
RC James

let's not miss the point...............

Post by RC James »

Tadpole/SeaHunt/Robert appears to have catapulted PAST the "2foot-ITIS" that afflicts many of us, and perhaps has decided that a 27ft boat offers more space than the 25D he has so lovingly looked at in the past. There's a 27 in my marina, and the lines are quite nice....but it's not for sale, and neither is my 25D.

Go for it, SeaHunt!!!
ronkberg

Is BIGGER always better?

Post by ronkberg »

Robert, if CD-27 is being considered, then have you forgotten what a great bargain you can get by talking to Stan W. His CD-28 has a tiller, as I recall, and thus your gained skill with your Typhoon's tiller will make NONSLY an easy transition. And it is only 1ft longer.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=26820

IMHO, I know which way I'd be leaning if I were seriously looking larger....... talk to Stan.

Ron

PS, Stan does not have to pay me a commission.......tee hee!
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Video that includes Stan's CD28

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Stan participated in the 2007 CDSOA Maine Cruise and Bruce's video (link below) includes a nice segment with Stan's CD28 Nonsly. When you hear Bruce yell "looking good", that's Stan's boat sailing by on the John's River.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d8_MADkwtaM&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>

And, just for the heck of it, if you'd like to see the rest of Bruce's videos of the 2007 Maine Cruise, just click on the link's below:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tt5xi5CXYB8&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCMoU8F-J44&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Angelina

Post by Doug Oliver »

Andrew Breece owns a beautiful CD27 "Angelina" that was until recently moored in Bucks Harbor, Maine and it has a factory installed wheel.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Wheels do exist on CD27s

Post by Joe Myerson »

FWIW, "Good News IV" the CD27 that I reviewed for the late Offshore Magazine, and on which I've sailed frequently, does have a wheel.

According to Ted Rose, the owner (and NOT a CDSOA member), the wheel was installed by a previous owner.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627