Honda 2HP outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brian2

Honda 2HP outboard

Post by Brian2 »

Does anyone have experience with the Honda 2HP 4 stroke? I am thinking of buying one for my Walker Bay 10.
Tim Varley

Honda 2 HP-Dough Dish

Post by Tim Varley »

I just bought one (long shaft) for my Herreshoff 12 1/2 Dough Dish. The 10 hour maintenance was completed last week. The Dough Dish weights 1500 lbs. and the Honda pushes it between 2.0-5 knots depending on wind and current. It weights 27 lbs. so I can easily pull it off the mount located on the port side and stowaway. There is only one gear so you swivel the engine for reverse. Also, it's air cooled so no water pump to worry about. Just hose her down and put away. At running speed she's a little noisy and with some vibration. If you can hang the engine over the stern on your dingy ( I can't) the noise and vibration may not be a factor. So far so good.

Tim
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I have had one for several years. I agree with Tim's comments. I bought the long shaft for my old hard dinghy, although I use an inflatable now. I still use it on the inflatable. It's never going to get you on a plane, but it never fails to start and gets you where you need to go, and it's extremely portable.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

honda

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I just bought the 2 HP for my Portland Pudgy 3 weeks ago. It pushes the pudgy nicely. It also pushes my Typhoon nicely
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Jeff D

Typhoon

Post by Jeff D »

I bought a Honda 2 to replace the 8hp outboard that came with my Typhoon. It has been trouble free for almost four years. It is pretty simple and easy to service.
David L

Post by David L »

Bought one in May of 2006. Very happy with it. Only problem is the metal inside the gas filler cap rusts very badly. Honda's solution: always use premium gas and stabilizer.
David
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I had one on my race boat, and though it was incredibly undersized for the job it was given, I never had any trouble with it. I did mistakenly overfill the oil reservoir one time and it took several minutes of yanking the starting cord with great vigor to get it running, but it always ran like a top. Luckily I didn't have to do the pulling that day- some random guy on the dock wanted to show his 'outboard starting prowess' and yanked and yanked and yanked until it ran. I stood by and supervised over a cold Gin & Tonic... There's a sucker born every minute I suppose...
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

Ironic, I traded my 1985 model in today rather than continue to pull the starter cord in frustration.
After 3+ years unused, it naturally would not start, but after I replaced carb and sparkplug, it started and ran well. Then, after sitting for 2 weeks again refused to start. Honda mechanic blamed the fuel.
Jim Stevenson
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

JAS wrote:Then, after sitting for 2 weeks again refused to start. Honda mechanic blamed the fuel.
I would blame the fuel as well. Fermented corn syrup with gasoline? Drives up the price of food, gums up carburetors in no time, and melts some rubber/plastic parts. By government mandate. That's my $2 (2 cents after inflation and taxes).

Wind is still free, right?

Stan Freihofer
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Tim Varley

Honda 2 HP

Post by Tim Varley »

The engine has a internal fuel tank and I think it holds about .24 gal. This is fine for getting in and out of the marina but if you plan to travel any distance you'll need a jug of gas. I had to power 6 miles on the ICW and ran out of gas twice. My mechanic said I'll get better mileage as the engine breaks in but I check the fuel every 20-25 minutes. If there is any size to the waves or wakes where you boat get a decent size funnel.
Tim Varley

Honda 2 HP

Post by Tim Varley »

The engine has a internal fuel tank and I think it holds about .24 gal. This is fine for getting in and out of the marina but if you plan to travel any distance you'll need a jug of gas. I had to power 6 miles on the ICW and ran out of gas twice. My mechanic said I'll get better mileage as the engine breaks in but I check the fuel every 20-25 minutes. If there is any size to the waves or wakes where you boat get a decent size funnel.