Cockpit shower-What size pump?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Cockpit shower-What size pump?

Post by Steve Bryant »

The wife has decided that we need to make use of the water tank on our CD25 (since we don't drink the water) and has requested that a handheld transom/cockpit shower be installed.

I don't have pressure water on the boat now, but I plan to install a pump and plumb it to handle the small sink and the new shower.

Is there an optimum GPM that I need to make sure I have enough pressure to get the water from the bow to the stern and get enough flow from the shower head?

Any recommendations or comments on the quality of pumps - Jabsco vs. Shurflo vs. Johnson, etc. would be appreciated.

Any recommendations or comments on make or model of handheld transom showers would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Steve,

We have a cockpit shower on our CD32. The fresh water pump, which is located in the engine compartment, handles all of the fresh water demands with no problem. I think it's about 3 gal/min with an adjustable pressure switch. We have a 3 gpm Shurflow pump. You probably could go with a lower pressure if you want to conserve water.

You can get a shower shower faucet at RV places for about $15 (shower hose and head are extra).

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchan ... ode=103404
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I mounted the shower faucets inside the cockpit locker so I wouldn't need to make a large hole without a good seal in the cockpit.

I also used a kitchen sprayer for the shower head. Once the temp is adjusted we prop the locker open enough so as not to pinch the hose. This has a longer hose to allow for reach and it is always off when you do not need it so it saves a tremendous amount of water while showering.

We usually sit on the bridge deck under the dodger. We have a canvas that we rig from the sides of the dodger to the boom so there is privacy and protection is it is cool and windy.

All of this can be combined with a dive overboard or buckets of salt water to same more water. This year I bought two black buckets that we will try to remember to fill with sea water and leave in the cockpit to warm up on shower days at anchor.

I always cut the end off of sun showers and put a kitchen sprayer on those two, Steve.
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks

Post by Steve Bryant »

Thanks,

I appreciate the feedback. I think a 3 gpm pump is what I need. I'm going to install a shutoff valve in the water line before it gets to the shower in case the shower hose gives it up while we are not paying attention.

Any comments on the Shurflo or Skandic showers. Stainless cover vs white ABS plastic. The plastic will probably yellow with age, but the stainless might get hot enough to burn the back of a leg if you don't pay attention.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Steve,

Our shower faucet is in our aft locker. We have a plastic hose and a plastic shower head which has an off and on valve on it (although the off position lets some water dribble out on purpose...all heads we looked at have this 'feature'). After using the shower, we drain all water out of the head, then secure it inside the locker. No yellowing of the head over the last 10 years.

Bob
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Steve:

In the August 2010 issue of SAIL magazine, pages 64-65, there is a very good article with many photos and a diagram showing the installation of a deck shower in a Bristol 35.5. It looks pretty nice.

When (not if :wink: ) I assume care and custody of a Cape Dory 25D I think I will try to install one of these systems.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mattlydon

jabsco

Post by mattlydon »

I picked up a
Jabsco Sensor Max VSD 17 Water Pressure System Pump
on ebay last year fairly cheap - around $150....just installed it this year and love it. The nice thing about the VSD is that if you use a small flow, the pump slows down.

I have it hooked up to a 25' coil hose in the cockpit locker connected to a cheap garden nozzle. On 'Jet', I get a 20' stream, and the pump is working hard - you can hear it loud and clear.

If I go to a 'cone' - fairly fine, you barely hear it ticking over.

One thing to consider when mounting - these suckers call for 10 amps working, so mount it close to your batteries, or you're going to spend another $50 in large gauge wire.

Matt
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Doesn't the average household shower have a flow restrictor that limits flow to 1.5 GPM?
Have A Nice Day
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

It varies

Post by Steve Bryant »

Sharkbait,

Based on what I have learned, the current standard for a low-flow shower head delivers 2.5 gpm at 80psi. There are ultra low-flow shower heads available that are rated at 1.5 gpm. In the old days showers delivered 5 to 8 gpm, so they have been throttled down considerably.

The 3gpm pump that I was looking at delivers at 45-50 psi, so hopefully it will be adequate enough to provide a decent flow for my intended use.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Steve,

Defender has water pumps on sale right now.

Bob
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks Bob

Post by Steve Bryant »

Bob,

Thanks very much for the heads up on the sale.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815