Outboard Motor Alternator Options?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sfreihofer

Outboard Motor Alternator Options?

Post by sfreihofer »

I have an 8 hp Yamaha 2-stroke outboard for my CD 25. I like the 2 stroke because it is lighter, smaller, and mechanically simpler than the 4 strokes of equivalent horsepower.

Although this engine produces a small current for running lights supplied by the magneto, it's probably less than 4 amps, but when rectified and voltage regulated, it is undoubtedly mostly insignifiant for battery charging.

Although I have looked, I haven't seen any reasonable solutions, so I pose this question to the board: Does anyone know of an after-market (or otherwise) alternator add-on that will provide more useful electrical power for charging from a small outboard motor?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
barfwinkle

Boat Usage

Post by barfwinkle »

Good Morning Stan

Question? How do you use your boat. Weekends, daily etc. Second question, what is your amp hour "budget"?

Last summer I installed a small solar charger on Rhapsody. It has proven to be one of the best investments/enhancements I have ever made ($150.)! Period. Having said that with the exception of the summer months, I am a weekender or maybe twice a week. If I was aboard more often the charger I have would not keep up. But as it now stands my batteries are always charged. I love it.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/so ... 0Chrg.html

Food for thought.

Fair Winds and good luck.
Bill Member #250.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Bill;

To answer your questions succinctly: I don't know. I haven't hit water yet. I only know I am considering quite a bit of equipment to power: VHS, GPS, depthfinder, autopilot, bilge pump, stereo, computer, lights... for a week or more.

The impetus for my query is to find out what my options are (if any) for charging when the outboard is running.

A solar charger is certainly an option I am considering, and I appreciate the link you provided. Thanks!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Old experience

Post by Jim Davis »

I had a 25 from 74 to 91 and had VHF, LORAN, lights and found that two Group 27s did a fair job. I would use one till it was too low to work (perhaps four or five days), then change batteries. If I planned to be out more than a couple more days I would find a marina so I could plug in and recharge overnight. Group 31s would give you a bit more wiggle room in your electric budget.

The last five years I had a Honda with an alternator and it gave me one more day before the battery switch. Note this was pre-GPS chart plotter, the stereo was a portable radio and there was no computer. If you can live without the computer by going with an Iphone or Droid you could make it work, but small outboard alternators are minimalist in nature.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
sfreihofer

Re: Old experience

Post by sfreihofer »

Jim Davis wrote: ... small outboard alternators are minimalist in nature.
I surmise you are correct, but this board has surprised me before, and I've found it's better to ask than not.

Thanks for your feedback.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

My last boat was like yours, sorta, it had NO alt on the OB.

A small solar panel kept up our one battery for 12 years of weekend use.

The dock had no power as well..
Randy 25D Seraph #161