TOO MANY TYS

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

TOO MANY TYS

Post by trapper »

I have a problem, a good problem, but a problem. It is somewhat convoluted, but here goes:

In anticipation of moving to the farm until our house sells, I purchased a sad little Ty open cockpit. My plan was to work on the boat after work at the farm. The boat is sitting under the shed next to the cabin awaiting my arrival. The hull has been painted and it all needs to come off. The sole needs a little reinforcing and all the toe rail/rub rail needs replacing. The sails are blow but they are there so I can copy them.

A few months before I purchased the Ty, I purchased a CD10 for my friend. He wanted a boat he could rig himself and haul back and forth to the lake. Well, the boat was too small so we sold it a couple of weeks ago. He now has found a place to keep a boat on the lake. He was going to take an old Rainbow belonging to my brother but it needs a lot of work and he wants to go sailing right away.

I found a Ty weekender that could use a little TLC but all and all it is in pretty good shape. I purchased the weekender. Now, I don't know which boat to sell to him. I have a 25D so I can't keep but one of them. Anyone with experience with the weekender and the open cockpit? I could use some advise.

Below are pics of the weekender taken by the prior owner. She is already looking better.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/ftrapp/Ty/

And here is one of the daysailer:
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... CN0217.jpg
Jim Buck

RE: G model vs. D model

Post by Jim Buck »

Trapper,

Having owned and sailed both, I would say it's a tough call to choose one over the other. Each has advantages and each has...well, idiosyncrasies is the best descriptor. The open Ty requires either a mooring cover (Sailor's Tailor said mine is being shipped Monday), an automatic bilge pump with a battery on a charger (the way mine sits now), or an owner in very close proximity who can be there immediately after the rain. (I do like the convenience of the self-bailing cockpit on the Weekender.) The open Ty avoids any compression issues as the mast is stepped on the cockpit floor which is reinforced to the keel with a cockpit that is deeper and roomier than a Wkndr. The storage space is more limited in the forward cockpit locker on the open Ty but I find it sufficient to hold a group 24 battery, anchor with chain and 150' rode, 4 adult PFD's, an auto inflate PFD, manual bilge pump with 5' of hose, collapsible boat hook, bucket, scrub brush, first aid kit, flares and flare gun, flashlight, VHF handheld, horn, mast mounted compass, and a bag of tools. My outboard wears a cable lock 24/7 while I always stored my Seagull in the cabin under the cockpit floor on my Weekender. I did use my Weekender on a few overnite trips for two and found it comfortable enough. That is one thing I miss with my Daysailer is the ability to get out of the elements and to do an over-nighter.

Perhaps your question is more repair oriented and I would feel unqualified to render an opinion on either vessel without a personal inspection. From your description though it may require more time and money to restore the Daysailer. Restored, the open Ty may be worth a little(?) more than a restored Weekender, but both are a joy to sail. It probably boils down to your time commitments, personal preference, and intended use. Either way you can't make a bad decision; they are both great when wet. Hope this helps.

Jim

PS: I haven't forgot about sending you the mooring cover pattern.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
GLutzow

yup

Post by GLutzow »

At one time I REALLY let it get out of hand and I had 4 Cape Dorys, an unfortunate addiction, but after friends interdiction I was able to pare it down to just one. AT THE MOMENT. But there is this 30 footer........
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Fran,
I know the situation and if you want him to try out a Ty weekender, we can meet you at Wateree and let you see it and have him try it out to see if it suits. I think it would be ideal for his purpose and stable enough to not have the problem that he did with the CD 10.
We are taking the 10 for its first trip to the lake in the morning and are going to sail the ty also. We'll let you know how it goes.
Next week is a little wild, but if he wants to meet me there one afternoon, we could go for a sail. It will be hot but if there is a breeze, bearable.

Bob
jim ventrilio
S/V San Angelo

Ty Dilema

Post by jim ventrilio »

If you sell the Weekender, don't give it away, especially with that trailer. You can launch the boat with that trailer, so you can eliminate costs of a boatyard to launch and haul. That's a good selling point because most people who look for a Weekender just might be looking to downsize to a smaller boat, but one that won't get blown over or tossed around too much when the wind pipes up. You can't get that with most small centerboarders.

Just my opinion.

Jim V.
Typhoon/SV San Angelo
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Thanks for all the replies.

Jim B. I see you have a CD22. The two Tys are very differently rigged. I wonder if you have any thoughts on the sailing qualities of each. I had a CD22 that I loved Also, no hurry on the boat cover pattern. The boat needs a fair amount of work.

Greg, you are right! I am prohibited for purchasing any more boats-- for a while.

Bob B. Thank you so much for the invite. I own the Ty so he can sail it after church if he wants to. I cant wait to hear about the CD10. I will send you an email. We may be able to sail all 3 Tys sometime!

I just hope he likes this the weekender. If not, he can have my daysailer. We sailed it a few weeks ago and he liked it. It just needs more work.

Jim V, I have no intention of giving away the weekender--if my friend does not take her, I will finish her out then have to make a choice. As for trailers, I now have several of them too.

The weekender has not one blister. The hull is absolutly sound. She needs new cushions, and sails. Although, the sails are useable. I gave her a bath today and her hull shines!

I am going to let my friend pick. I think the weekender is the boat for him, but he can have which ever.

I took some pics of the weekender while in my driveway. I will up load them a little later and share. Again, thanks. to all.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Up date

Post by trapper »

My friend LOVES the boat. Now, I am back down to one Ty and a CD25D--I no longer have too many Tys. Thanks to all.