Source for sink tailpiece

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Source for sink tailpiece

Post by RIKanaka »

Just wondering if anyone can point out a source for a replacement for a galley sink tailpiece, preferably made of more robust material than the current plastic or nylon that is old, seemingly brittle, and deforms enough with the pressure applied by a hose clamp that there is a leak at the hose connection.

I've inquired at local plumbing shops, online RV stores, big box home improvement warehouses, etc., and apparently this is a pretty unusual "reducing" tailpiece. Any help is appreciated. Mahalo.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

This piece is hard to find......this is what I've done and it has worked fine for many seasons. I screwed a 1/2"X 2" bronze nipple into the 3/4" tailpiece with a dollup of boatlife. It is a tight fit so be carefull and go easy, I may have heated it a bit. The nipple easily accepts 3/4" vinal hose and allows a firm anchor for the hose clamp. If you find a replacement let us know.
________
Land cruiser prado
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

several years back I replaced the one on Rhapsody so I dont recall the measurements, but I just went to a plumbing wholesale place and asked for whatever its called for a bar sink. They handed it to me and I installed it. That was it.

I dont know if the Typhoon and 30s are different.

Fair winds and good luck.
Bill Member #250.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post by RIKanaka »

Ron, I like the idea of the bronze nipple since that part will be under water most of the time. Sea-Dog does makes a replacement for the plastic "funnel drain", as they call it, so I can start out with a new tailpiece if I replicate your mod.

http://www.sea-dog.com/PDF/517336.pdf

I've also found properly sized replacement drain assembly with a 3/4" tailpiece made by Forespar. Not as robust as bronze but all plastic so the tailpiece nut shouldn't be susceptible to corrosion and presumably, since it's made by Forespar, marine-grade quality. The tailpiece also appears to be barbed so the hose should grip a little better. Although listed under the Marelon section I think it's "regular" plastic.

http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2 ... ains.shtml

Bill, I updated my boat info. I'm fixing up a CD26. The galley sink drains to a 3/4" Spartan seacock. I'll check out the plumbing warehouses around here. I tried to inquire at a RV store yesterday but got there 15 minutes after closing.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Bob,

I replaced my sink drain this year. I live in Wisconsin and around here and Illinois there's a chain store (Meynards) that has the small drain piece and the strainer for about $8. I don't know if the sink on our CD32 is the same as what you have, though. The drain is for a bar sink and is plated brass.

Bob
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Post by Jimbo »

check the defender catalog. i replaced mine from there this spring