A nice "tip" for the boatyard workers?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

A nice "tip" for the boatyard workers?

Post by Russell »

As I get ready to get underway again, after almost an entire year of sitting still, I am thinking of a way to tip the guys who work in the boatyard I have been staying in. Its a small family run yard/marina with increadibly nice if eccentric people working here. Many of the people here have stepped in to give me a hand off the clock. They have gone out of their way in the last insane winter to make a path through the snow from my boat to my car, even clearing off the finger pier side of my boat before I even woke up. The mechanic got my Vespa scooter running this spring when I couldnt and waved off my attempts to pay him for it. I could list for pages the nice things they have done here for me above what one expects for basic slip rent (I dont pay an extra liveaboard fee either).

So, what I was thinking, as a way to say thank you to these guys, is to take them all (about 5 guys), plus the owner of the marina, and any wives/girlfriends who want to come(but not both at the same time of course), to a game at the local minor league baseball team (the Baysox!). Is this excessive? I normally tip travelift operator and team anytime my boat is hauled with a case (or 2 if there is a lot of them) of beer. I think a trip to the ballpark is a nice tip and would arrange it with the yard owner so it didnt get in the way of work.

And I have no problem taking them to the O's instead, but personally I find minor league games MUCH more fun.

What do you all think?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

gifts

Post by moctrams »

Beer on Fridays and "nifty" tools.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>I could list for pages the nice things they have done here for me above what one expects for basic slip rent<<

That pretty much makes your case. Enjoy the game.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
David van den Burgh

Just a thought

Post by David van den Burgh »

Why not post their company name so others might patronize them? In addition to whatever you end up doing, giving them good publicity couldn't hurt.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You are a great guy, Russell. What if they don't like baseball? You might have to pay me to sit through a game. I was thinking you were going to say dinner. Everyone likes to eat, Steve.
Troy Scott

Thank You styles...

Post by Troy Scott »

Russell,

I'm with Steve. What if just ONE of them doesn't like baseball? Dinner at a fun place, with a few drinks and dessert, maybe in a private room, with maybe a little entertainment, "strikes" me as a more universally pleasing Thank You.
Regards,
Troy Scott
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

I've seen powerboat owners take yard hands offshore fishing on the weekend as a sort of thanks / goodwill building (no one better to have in your corner). We don't have the boats for that, but what about a BBQ or crabs and beer at your boat afterwork someday?

Matt
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

A Note and Cash

Post by Gary M »

All the gift ideas are good.

Another idea is a sincere note describing the things you appreciate and cash in the envelope.

Sometimes just the note goes a long way!

Gratitude is such an uncommon value that when it is sincerely given, the recipient will remember you always.

Gary
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Russell:

For what it may be worth, I'm reluctantly in the group that thinks taking the marina staff to a baseball game may not be the best reward. For me, personally, that would be more than enough reward, but amazingly some people just don't like baseball although, frankly, it is almost UnAmerican to think that someone would not love baseball - at all levels; Go REDSOX :!: :!: :!: But, alas I digress.

My guess is dinner at a local BBQ (or similar) with a good reputation for good ribs, slaw and a lot of cold beer on tap with you picking up the tab would be very much appreciated. A few brief words at the beginning or end would be the "icing on the cake".

P.S. As a precaution, make sure everyone has a ride home from a designated driver or taxi.

P.P.S. And whoever shoveled snow off your finger pier in the middle of winter in the early morning hours deserves a keg of his own - IMHO :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

My reaction to the ballgame was similar to some others -- that not everyone would enjoy spending their free time that way.

Is there a coffee shop or luncheonette that's frequented by the marina staff? If so, a gift certificate might be appreciated.
Shannon Murphy

Post by Shannon Murphy »

Home Made Baked Goods! At least a few times a year! No note. Just drop off a big plate of home made chocolate chip cookies unannouced, before break time. Not the pilsbury cut and bake kind either. Take a little time and follow the recipe on a package of milk chocolate morsels with walnuts. .. and yes, use real butter. Best $6 and an hour of your time that you will ever spend on the great people around your boat yard. it's a heck of a nice gesture for your favorite bunch of auto mechanics as well.
Steve Laume

Tip timing

Post by Steve Laume »

I want to see Russell's boat the morning after he steams up a bushel or two of crabs and has the yard crew sitting round the cockpit drinking beer and crackin shells. It could be a very bad morning after.

The idea of a substantial tip before departure makes a big splash no matter what form it may take. I have always had a different approach and not the deepest of pockets to pursue it with. Whenever the yard handles my boat their little after work fridge is restocked with their beer of choice. I make sure they know who put it there but with little fanfare. They are also thanked and complimented on the professionalism of their work.

I don't really use the yard mechanics but am always friendly towards them and often inquire about their current projects. I sometimes ask questions about problems I might be encountering on my boat and they are very free with advise. For this I regularly hand over a couple of beers as I am putting the days supply in my cooler. It is only ever a couple of beers but it is regular enough for them to remember me and must seem mighty nice to have a cold one waiting at the end of the day.

I might seem cheap and self serving in this approach. Russell's idea is far more generous. I just figure that gestures of gratitude and compliments along the way will serve us all well.

One of the biggest things you can do for the yard workers is treat them as equal or better than yourself. Some of these guys are incredibly good at what they do. I believe there are a lot of yacht owners that look down on this part of their crew.

I gained big points from one of the guys at the travel lift dock when he lost his glasses overboard and I was able to grab a mask and snorkel to retrieve them.

Like our mamas told us, sometimes it's the little things that count, Steve.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Brownies

Post by Parfait's Provider »

The Car Guys, Click and Clack, like brownies.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC