"Juno" CD25D for sale: $12,000

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

caribbean_cruiser
Location: S/V "JUNO" Cape Dory 25D, Trellis Bay, British Virgin Islands

"Juno" CD25D for sale: $12,000

Post by caribbean_cruiser »

Ready to Sail!  Looking for a boat in the Caribbean? This is the perfect island cruiser.

JUNO is a Cape Dory 25D, built in 1984 
by the Cape Dory Yard, East Taunton, MA

LOA 25’, Beam 8’, Draft 3’ 6â€
Drew

Post by Drew »

Have you got pics? Where is the vessel registered? Tks.
caribbean_cruiser

Drew wrote:Have you got pics? Where is the vessel registered? Tks.
Registered in the British Virgin Islands. I have pictures, but not sure how to post them here?
caribbean_cruiser

Photos of "Juno" CD25D

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Anyone have any thoughts on methods to get this CD 25D from Tortola, BVIs to Miami, Florida :?: When this CD 25D was first listed, a few CDSOA members sent me PMs suggesting I sail her back. Unfortunately, I lack the experience, skill and training to do this.

Are there companies that ship boats between the Caribbean Islands and stateside :?: All the time I see cargo ships with large containers and often 10-12 cars along the Miami River getting ready to be shipped from Miami to various Caribbean Islands. From my recollection, however, I have never seen any type of boat (sail or power) being shipped this way. I know there are companies that ship large boats from the US to Europe and from the US to Hawaii, Australia, etc.

Anyone have any names of companies that ship boats between US and BVIs :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Sign on as crew

Post by Duncan »

Sea Hunt wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on methods to get this CD 25D from Tortola, BVIs to Miami, Florida :?: When this CD 25D was first listed, a few CDSOA members sent me PMs suggesting I sail her back. Unfortunately, I lack the experience, skill and training to do this.
No, but you can crew. It would save you a bundle to hire a skipper, and you, as crew, would have a wonderful sail.

It's not a difficult or a long passage, but it would be a very valuable one for a new owner.

I know, everyone has an opinion, but this looks like a "must-sail opportunity" to me.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

From memory, Tortola is about 1300 miles SE of Miami "as the crow flies". I am guessing that would be a 20-24 day trip more or less. Does this seem about right :?:

July, August and September do not seem to me to be the months of the year to be traveling up "hurricane alley" from the islands to Miami. November/December would seem safer, even if colder.

On documentation and entry, with S/V Juno being a BVI documented/registered vessel, what would be the procedure for getting her registered in the US through Florida or documented through USCG :?: I am assuming there must be some hurdles.

Also, are there import duties, customs charges, etc., involved :?: Again I am assuming there must be.

Admittedly, it is an intriguing proposition. I have spent some time in the BVIs and know of a few good marinas - including Nanny Cay Marina. I would need to be VERY comfortable with, and confident of, any delivery skipper I would work with. Any suggestions or recommendations :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
barfwinkle

Jimeny Christmas

Post by barfwinkle »

Seahunt

Sail it back.... Its all down wind (or mostly/should be)! And as Duncan says it is a
"must-sail opportunity"
Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Sea Hunt!

You'd be missing an opportunity if you don't at least go down there and sail her around the islands before you bring her back. Those are beautiful waters. Ask me how I know.

The U.S. Virgin Islands are only 1/2 mile from the British V.I. (Tortola). In the BVI, they call Tortola the "Mainland!" LOL

From St. Thomas, USVI, Crowley Maritime ships to Ft. Lauderdale... maybe Miami also. If you have a cradle built, you can put it on a flatbed container and ship it up. Check with them for rates.

Sailing her back wouldn't be as hard as you think. If you plan your trip, you shouldn't be out of sight of land very often, and when you are, it's not for long. Just go island hopping. (Easy to say, since I've never done it!)

GO!

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Sea Hunt wrote:
Are there companies that ship boats between the Caribbean Islands and stateside :?: All the time I see cargo ships with large containers and often 10-12 cars along the Miami River getting ready to be shipped from Miami to various Caribbean Islands. From my recollection, however, I have never seen any type of boat (sail or power) being shipped this way. I know there are companies that ship large boats from the US to Europe and from the US to Hawaii, Australia, etc.

Anyone have any names of companies that ship boats between US and BVIs :?:
http://www.yacht-transport.com/homepage.html

They ship from St. Thomas to Port Everglades. I have no idea what they charge but I'm sure it's not cheap. Some beautiful cruising grounds down there in the USVI/BVI. I would spend some time down there sailing, diving, eating roti and conch fritters, and just getting acquainted with 25d before deciding whether to ship it or sail it back, or even whether or not to come back at all.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Stan and Bob:

Thanks much for the names of marine transport cos. I spent 2 hrs yesterday on Google and could not find any. I ain't no good with no computers :oops: :wink:

I sent off requests to both and will learn about approximate shipping costs.

As for sailing in the BVIs and/or USVIs, that is certainly an option. I have chartered a few sailboats (with crew) in the BVIs over the past few years and enjoy that area for sailing a lot. It is beautiful and, even for me, fairly easy sailing. Never really out of sight of land and generally steady easterlys.

Bill, the expression "Jimeny Christmas" is not one I have heard in a long time. Fond memories though.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Drew

Skipper

Post by Drew »

What an adventure it would be! I'd hire a skipper for a week or so to the Turks and Caicos. It's a milk run after that...
marv brinn

trip

Post by marv brinn »

I would be happy to assist in the delivery but this time of the year is VERY tricky!!!! I would not chance it....
none
marv brinn

p.s.

Post by marv brinn »

I know of a skipper who has made the trip before and can put you in touch..
none