poppets vs. bunks on TY trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mjohn

poppets vs. bunks on TY trailer

Post by mjohn »

Am just about to order a new trailer for my Typhoon WE from Load Rite and - after reading numerous and helpful posts - remain in a quandary about having either poppets or bunks installed.

My primary use will be an annual putting in and taking out at a local lake, along with one or two road trips of about 125 miles each. She will remain on the trailer over the winter.

Would appreciate hearing any personal experiences supporting one over the other.
okawbow

Adjustable pads

Post by okawbow »

make the most sense to me. I've built 2 trailers. 1 for a Bristol 24, and 1 for a Bristol 19. The 19 is almost identical to a TY. I used 4, one foot square pads with 1 1/4" screws for adjustment on the 19's trailer. I dry sail both boats. They can be easily launched and recovered on the trailer. The pads can be locked in position once set.

The biggest advantage for pads over bunks, is the ability to lower them down one at a time to paint or work on the hull.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I had bunks on the trailer for my Typhoon. I made that decision after observing several Typhoons and other boats with their hulls deformed from maladjusted pads. I felt more comfortable with the hull cradled. Just a personal preference.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
mattlydon

poppets

Post by mattlydon »

bunks just get messy, tend to rot, break, etc. Best of all worlds, have 6 poppets installed - then you can drop a couple with confidence
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Bunks Or Poppets?

Post by Oswego John »

My choice is poppets (adjustable screw pads).

If your new trailer will be dedicated for use *ONLY* by your Ty,
then it's 50-50 whether you go for the bunks or the screw pads.

With the adjustable screw pads, I am able to transport different types of boats of varying hull design.

Also, with screw pads, it is much easier for me to apply complete bottom paint at one time.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
barfwinkle

The Weight of the Boat

Post by barfwinkle »

should be setting entirely on the keel and is only supported/stabilized by the pads. I think the ability to adjust the pads is critical (i.e. as others pointed out bottom paint) and if there is any indentation from the pads I would be inclined to think that someone didn't have the pads adjusted properly.

MTCW and your mileage may very.

Fair Winds and awaiting some wind for a Saturday night "fullish" moonlight sail.
Bill Member #250.