Morey's Red Grease on Lewmar Winches?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Morey's Red Grease on Lewmar Winches?

Post by Bob Ohler »

There has been much discussion here about Morey's Red. I have used it on the Spartan seacocks, and the results have been great.

Has anyone used Morey's on the Lewmar winch bearings? My son and I disassembled the two jib sheet winches this weekend (part of my Father's Day gift) and after cleaning, we used Moreys on the gears and bearings, with oil, of course, on the springs and pawls.

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Bob,

I have not used Morey's but as an old bicycle mechanic, I use Phil Wood waterproof grease because it works and I am used to it.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/Lub ... 31crx.aspx

I reckon most waterproof greases are similar so why pay for a marine variant? But I imagine Morey's would be damn similar, so if you got it.... I have repacked mountain bike hubs with Phil Wood and ridden in salt water, off diving boards (Don't ask) and found this stuff to work very well for a long time. When it came time to overhaul our bronze lewmar 40's aboard Femme du Nord, I used it and they are on season three with no problems. I have also used it for eight seasons in the raw water pump cup and the Spartan seacocks, works great.

It's cheap, comes in a handy tube that will last you but small enough you can still carry around in your tool bag, and it works. But I imagine Morey's would be damn similar, so if you got it....

Paul
Carl Thunberg

Nice!

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Paul D. wrote: ridden in salt water, off diving boards (Don't ask)

Paul
A little testosterone can overcome a lot of education. :D
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bob Ohler

Oh Carl...

Post by Bob Ohler »

Carl, that quote of yours is a keeper!

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Down south here we simply say; "hey y'all, watch this"
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Jim Buck

RE: winch grease

Post by Jim Buck »

The grease I used to maintain my Lewmars was just a white lithium grease I purchased at the hardware store. That purchase was based on a previous post on this board and it seems to work fine. I believe the Morey's Red is more for seacocks. Hope this helps.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
David L

Post by David L »

I've been told that Heavy Duty Corrosion-X, in the green can, is excellent for winches - drums, bearings, AND pawls. Haven't tried it yet, but the goop that comes out of the can looks very promising.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I think that Morey's is too thick and sticky for winches. I would not recommend that.

Lewmar and Harken have winch grease.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine