Bluewater CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MFC
Hull No.128

Re: What about FeNix?

Post by MFC »

wingreen wrote:Didn't Fenix, a CD 25, circumnavigate from Jacksonville, FL?
There was a CD25D called Breezy skippered by a guy named Mike (Hunter?) that sailed across the pacific and is now in NZ. If you search the archives (try breezy + mike) you can find not only some recent info on that boat, but also some old posts about the voyage and running it up onto (and off of) a reef.

Matt
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Australia, actually

Post by Joe Myerson »

Matt:

Breezy is in Australia, and her new owner has posted about her on this board several times.

But yes, a 25D did make it halfway around the world.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

Another CD25D crossed the atlantic to Ireland as well, that fellow posted on the board a few times. There is a 25D that has been cruising the caribbean for many years, the guy who lives on it is over 6' tall, dont know how he has managed to live in that space for so many years.

There are I am sure many other 25D voyages that we do not even know about. Basicly any CD from the 25D on up I would consider a solid world cruising boat if properly fit and maintained.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

Bluewater

Post by Alan Holman »

We do know that both the Atlantic and Pacific were crossed in a 25D though, just two different ones. To me, that adds up to a 25D being circumnavigation qualified.

I suppose it's just being a tad picky to point out that crossing the Atlantic and Pacific would get you about 2/3 of your way around the world, there's still the Indian Ocean to consider. Seems to me I read recently about some kid coming a cropper in that little pond.
The Meddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Southern Ocean?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Alan,

I can't speak for others on this board, but I, for one, am not suggesting that taking a Cape Dory through the Southern Ocean in winter would be a good idea. (And, no, I don't mean to disparage Abby Sutherland.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

Most cruising circumnavigators go via maldaves / chagos / Suez, ie northern indian ocean. Though due to piracy the southern route via south africa is becoming pretty common. But even then we are not talking about deep southern indian ocean except for the very last bit of the sail to south africa. Either way, in the right season I would consider the 25D perfectly capable to do either route, some might even argue its capable beyond that as well. So Alan your bringing Abby Sunderland into this conversation really has little relevence. By the way Fred tooks his 28 via south africa on his circumnaviation.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)