Building a trailer for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shannon Murphy

Building a trailer for Typhoon

Post by Shannon Murphy »

Has anyone taken a road worthy speedboat trailer and modified it to carry a Typhoon? I can find very reasonably priced trailers in good condition, but would need someone to do the welding in southern CT or nearby. Does anyone have experience with this type of trailer modification?
Thanks?
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

build a trailer

Post by trapper »

My husband built a trailer for a CD22 from a motor boat trailer.

Here are some pics of the trailer in various stages.

I have a new (new to me) Ty with a trailer and it is much smaller than the one he built for the 22. I can take pics this weekend of the trailer.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... p/QT-move/
Shannon Murphy

Post by Shannon Murphy »

Thanks so much for taking pictures of the trailer. Our goal is to avoid marina storage fees next fall by finding / building a trailer this summer.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Trailer

Post by bhartley »

We have also done this multiple times. Admittedly we do have a good friend who is a welder. Instead of bolting on, she welded steel tubing in place and then braced with angle irons (also welded). Into the tubes go stock Brownell adjustable jack-stand pads.

Brownell actually is very cheap for shipping the screw/pad portions of their jack stands. Both trailers have traveled many, many miles safely. They may not be the prettiest, but they are sturdy!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Shannon, how are you planning on loading, unloading the Ty on the trailer? Do you have a deep water boat launch near you? If your planning on having a marina load/ launch in the spring it shouldn't be much more to include the winter storage as well.
Shannon Murphy

Post by Shannon Murphy »

Thanks for the tip about the Brownell screw/pad parts. That was definitely a question I had. I found two trailers today that would work just fine. I also have found some great sketches on this website for typhoon trailer dimensions. Now I just need to find someone to do the welding work for me. Any suggestions in Southern CT would be greatly appreciated.
Shannon Murphy

Post by Shannon Murphy »

At high tide our boat ramp in Milford is more than adequate for launching and retrieving a typhoon sized sailboat. We will need to build a tounge extension on the trailer, but other than that we should be able to avoid the marina charges. It's not that the marina prices are unreasonable, its just more money than we can really afford to spend. This plan will save us at least $1000 per year which means we can keep enjoying the sailboat for years to come.