BP oil spill

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

local knowledge

Post by Troy Scott »

Here is a link to the blog al.com with news from the Mobile Press-Register, the main newspaper in Mobile, where I grew up:

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/latest_ ... ast_2.html

They show the NOAA predictions and discuss it. This is odd; it's a little like waiting and watching a hurricane. But as far as marine life (death?) and pollution is concerned, this seems worse than a hurricane.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

more drilling?

Post by Troy Scott »

Moctrans wrote: "Now they want to drill in the Arctic"

This is not meant to start another political discussion. The comments I'm about to write are about science, philosophy and common sense.

I just don't get it. I remember reading 50 YEARS AGO that as an energy source, fossil fuels were (are) dirty, and that they are not sustainable. At that time it was already well understood that alternative, clean, sustainable energy was an important goal. As a child I assumed that it wouldn't be long before people found better ways to make and store electricity, and that that's what we would use to run everything. It seems to me that not much progress has been made. It seems to me that we've wasted a lot of time doing the same old things. We use more oil than ever before, not less. When will folks realize that more oil is not the answer?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Well, no sailing today. Winds on the Bay are 18-19 kts NE and building. :( Well beyond my "tadpole skills" even reefed down. So, here I sit.

Melissa, that is a great website. Thank you.

I agree with Troy’s comments that this seems worse than waiting/preparing for a hurricane. With a hurricane, it moves through a reasonably predictable area generally with 1-2 weeks advance warning in most areas. With the exception of the tragic loss of human life, most things can be and are rebuilt within a reasonably short period of time - New Orleans being a glaring exception, but that was more the result of flooding from broken levees than hurricane force winds.

This oil disaster (it can no longer be called a "spill") will impact states and citizens for many, many years to come. Just ask the citizens of Alaska. Oceanographic experts in Florida now predict it is only a matter of time before large quantities of this oil reach the Florida Keys via the Loop Current and the Gulfstream. They say it will decimate the fragile coral ecosystem for many, many years to come. Tourism is the life blood of the Florida Keys. Boating, fishing, snorkeling, diving, etc. are the main attractions. If (when) the coral ecosystem is polluted, the industries that make up the Keys way of life will dry up. I pray every day that the experts are wrong on this one.

And yet, with all that has happened, many still chant "drill, baby, drill". I think I would prefer a chant of "conserve, people, conserve." I think subconsciously one of the reasons I took up sailing (admittedly late in life) was because it involves little use of gas and oil - at least the way I try to sail. I now wish I could get the courage to get rid of my old Chevy truck big block. :oops:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Troy Scott

after some time...

Post by Troy Scott »

Well folks,

It's been a while and things certainly have not gotten any better. In fact it's gone from bad to catastrophic. The amount of oil, the lack of action, the ruined wetlands, and the dread that this is the tip of the iceberg are all disheartening. There is SOOOO much more leaked oil out there that has yet to reach land, and it's mostly not on the surface. And the ignorance is astounding. Many folks think that if it doesn't reach land it isn't a problem. WRONG. If it's in the water, it's killing the root of the food chain, as well as most anything farther up the chain that is unfortunate enough to come into contact with it. And as I wrote, the oil is NOT just floating on top. It's dispersed vertically and made more toxic by the "dispersants".

We feel alternately sad and angry. The mess is so unbelievably huge, toxic and smelly. Arrogance is so inappropriate. An unprecedented effort is appropriate.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Guys,

This topic thread is really long so I decided I should probably take a look at it. I just want to remind everybody, though it's really hard with a topic like this, to please try to keep any political views to yourselves. And I'm glad to see that, for the most part, most of you have done a great job of keeping politics out of the debate.

But if you really feel the need to vent your frustrations regarding the BP oil spewing disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, and can't do so without getting political, try forums like:
http://www.politicsforum.org/
http://www.politicalforum.com/
http://www.debatepolitics.com/
http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/
There are lots, just GOOGLE "political forum" and pick one.

By the way, if you're interested, the local (Mobile - Pensacola) CBS TV station has a live cam where you can watch the ROV's working at the spill.
http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/spill_cam/

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
rtbates

Re: more drilling?

Post by rtbates »

Troy Scott wrote:Moctrans wrote: "Now they want to drill in the Arctic"

This is not meant to start another political discussion. The comments I'm about to write are about science, philosophy and common sense.

I just don't get it. I remember reading 50 YEARS AGO that as an energy source, fossil fuels were (are) dirty, and that they are not sustainable. At that time it was already well understood that alternative, clean, sustainable energy was an important goal. As a child I assumed that it wouldn't be long before people found better ways to make and store electricity, and that that's what we would use to run everything. It seems to me that not much progress has been made. It seems to me that we've wasted a lot of time doing the same old things. We use more oil than ever before, not less. When will folks realize that more oil is not the answer?
It's very very simple... CHEAP CHEAP is what drives our enegry usage... Want to get off the oil addition bandwagon? $200-$300 a barrel should do it. $5+ / gal of gasoline will get us energy effecient in no time...Lets not wait till then to get off oil.. BUT I bet we do....
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

BP Oil Spill

Post by Oswego John »

I'm not inclined to go too deeply into cost, supply and demand for oil reserves.

What I have wondered about is how all of the work vessels and the associated power driven machinery at the defunctional drill site can keep operating.

The engines that operate the equipment must surely be water cooled. Can you imagine all that contaminated water being sucked into the cooling systems. Picture in your mind what the engine's water passages, intake screens, water filters and diverters must look like after just a few minutes running time.

Now, I hear that the saw to cut the pipe is stuck.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mike ritenour

oil intake

Post by mike ritenour »

OJ,
Its likely that the oil is not rising directly underneath the working working vessels but carried away.
If they are ingesting it into their cooling systems, they will most likely have an oil/water seperator inline.
sea u,
rit
OveRCs

Post by OveRCs »

a posting from my work-a-day world:

Lloyd’s Syndicates File Declaratory Judgment Action Against BP
June 1, 2010
On April 20, 2010, an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig in the Gulf of Mexico touched off a subsurface leak in a BP oil well at the ocean’s floor. At the time, the Deepwater Horizon was reportedly conducting drilling activities pursuant to a contract between Transocean Ltd. and Transocean subsidiaries, and BP America Production Company.

Nearly a month later, Transocean’s excess insurers have commenced a Declaratory Judgment action to determine their additional insured obligations to BP with respect to pollution claims against BP for oil emanating from BP’s well. On May 21, 2010, Lloyd’s of London filed a complaint for declaratory relief in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (Houston), asking the court to declare that it and various other excess insurers subscribing excess liability policies issued to Transocean Ltd. (listed in an exhibit to the complaint) have no additional insured or other coverage obligations to BP for remediation and damage claims stemming from the Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill.

In Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s London v. BP P.L.C., Lloyd's asserts that its additional insurance coverage duties with respect to BP do not extend to subsurface releases, based on the terms of the drilling contract between BP and Transocean. According to the Complaint, the contract between Transocean and BP provides that Transocean “shall assume full responsibility for and shall protect, release, defend, indemnify and hold [BP] … harmless from and against any loss, damage, expense, fine, penalty, demand or liability for pollution or contamination … originating above the surface of the land or water from spills, leaks or discharges….â€
Ron Campbell, Sandys Bermuda
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

"Adopt a Fisherman" program

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

In case you're interested, the John Tesh radio show has launched the "Adopt a Fisherman" program to help the fishermen who have lost their livelihood due to the Gulf oil spill. 100% of donations goes towards providing financial aid to fishermen’s families effected by the oil spill.

John Tesh radio show: http://www.tesh.com/
Intelligent Kindness Adopt a Fisherman: http://www.facebook.com/IntelligentKind ... 4949752878

-
Steve Darwin

Gulf Oil Deja-Vu

Post by Steve Darwin »

For the past 30 years, the private and public investment in oil exploration and drilling technology has far surpassed the investment in oil remediation technology. Check out Rachel Maddow's report on the 1979 IXTOC disaster:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/waitwait/2010/ ... =112176971

Perhaps it should be required that all off-shore oil wells also have two relief wells - just in case?
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Jack Carr

Oil cloud

Post by Jack Carr »

I'm trying to look for a silver lining in this oil cloud. My best hope is this will open the eyes of many that we need to take a national priory view (think Manahatan Project) at this whole carbon based energy system we have created.

The potential of off shore wind power on all of our coasts is estimated to be more than 75% of our entire national electrical energy needs. What are we waiting for? The Germans and others are way ahead of us. How did that happen? Think BP and friends.

With climate change coming there will be plenty of wind for CD's and windmills.
Jack
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

You may find this interesting:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/massiv ... -bp,17564/

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where you can always depend upon The Onion), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Troy Scott

oil in OUR water

Post by Troy Scott »

Thank you all for caring about this. It's been the main topic of conversation around here, as you might imagine.

Mitchell, that's hilarious. And absolutely accurate.....
Regards,
Troy Scott
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Speaking of the subject of Mitch's post

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Until the last week or so BP was estimating that the oil flow was 5000 barrels per day. Their new leaky capture mechanism is now collecting 15,000 barrels a day. They expect to add another containment system to capture more oil, but due to the possibility of water/gas mixture gumming up the system they estimate that they may not be able to get the last 10%. Sounds like the real number is over 20,000 barrels per day.