Cape Dory Typhoon -Swimming Ladder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tab

Cape Dory Typhoon -Swimming Ladder

Post by Tab »

I recently purchased a Cape Dory Typhoon (hull no. 85) in Bermuda. As I will be using it to sail around Bermuda and it's beautiful beaches I was wondering if any of the followers of this bulletin board have any thoughts about thoughts/recommendations about the installation/use of swimming ladders with the Typhoon (I am not nimble enough to scramble up the outboard mount).

Thank you
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Its tough finding a spot for a ladder. I use a rope ladder hung from one of the halyard cleats. Its near the middle of the hull so your feet don't go under too much. I take a deep breath with my foot on one of the rungs lung up and grab the edge of the cabin entrance( it helps having the cover open) and stand up and climb aboard. I can't exactly call it easy but it is doable. Whenever I'm sailing I have the rope ladder rolled up near the stern where I can reach it from the water.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I found an old-style swim ladder with folding "J-shaped" (almost "U-shaped") arms that "hook" perfectly INSIDE the COCKPIT coaming. I center the ladder fore-and-aft on the winch pad for extra support, place a thick towel over the teak coaming to protect it. I removed the little arms that were designed to rest against the hull, and replaced them with a small fender permanently lashed parallel with the steps to protect the hull and keep the ladder perfectly perpendicular to the water when in use. The ladder is long enough for the bottom step to be well below the waterline -- a bit long -- but it stores easily inside the cuddy storage area (I have a daysailer with a cuddy). It works extremely well.

[/url]http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt34 ... upload[url][/url]