Traveler System Conversion Successful!

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

For anyone interested:

On my 1981/82 CD-33 Bandolera II the mainsail traveler has a NicroFico track that sits on the companionway with a N-Fico car and a big Schaefer fiddle block plus the corresponding traveler pullup stops that you had to move left or right whenever you wanted to reposition the main.

When I got the boat, she came with that setup. i had long wanted a different system, but the Harken set-up, Schaefer, Garhauer et al were extremely expensive, and entailed complex amounts of work which i did not feel competent to do.

Enter Larry Mcanally-who sent me the pictures of his similar NicroFico traveler and how he had converted it to lines and blocks. I followed his advise. The Schaefer control blocks line up perfectly with the existing holes in the NicroFico track. I purchased the following:

From Defender:
1-1/2" Schaefer Left and Right Traveler Clontrol Blocks - Schaefer parts # 74-83 and 74-84 @ $116.50 ea.
Total $232.50

From Sailing Services: (local Rigging outfit)
two (2) Schaefer 03-13 Single, Front/Side Shackles @ 27.20 ea. Total 54.50
22 ft. New England Ropes Sta-Set 3/8" Solid green line .84 ft. Total 18.48
22 ft. New England Ropes Sta-Set 3/8" Solid red line .84 ft. Total 18.48
Eye Splice Double Braid Green line to Schackle Total 12.75
Eye Splice Double Braid Red line to Schackle Total 12.75
Whipping Rope Ends on each no charge
1 team McLube Sailkote-6 aerosol can Total 9.27
Tax 8.83

From United Screw of America:
1 3-piece Set Taper, plug, bottom tap 10.
1 High Speed Jobber Drill Bit 118 DEG #7 2.75
4 Slotted Flat head SS bolts M/S 18-8 1/4 x 20 x 2 3.00
6 Metric SS Hex Nuts 18-8 3.60
8 SS Flat Washers 2.40
2 SS Hex Head Cap Screws Thread A-2 M8-1.25 3.60

ALL TOTAL $393.55

IT WORKED OUT BEAUTIFULLY! Once I had all the parts I did the conversion in 1 day. Very simple and easy. Changed the existing bolts in the car for the longer, new ones... and tapped the necessary threads thru the track to secure the new control blocks. Added the 4 bolts and voila! (I still need to cut off the excess of the two long bolts in the car).

[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1779.jpg[/img]
old system

[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1845.jpg[/img]
new system

[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1848.jpg[/img]
[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1847.jpg[/img]
[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1843.jpg[/img]
[/img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1844.jpg[/img]
[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1851.jpg[/img][/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Woo Hoo! That's great, Zeida! Nice work... Very ingenious, and I'm sure it will prove it's worth every time you set sail. Congratulations!
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

WOW

Post by Warren S »

I never thought of refitting the existing car - I thought I would have to go with a whole new traveler rail and car - I am *so* doing this mod! I might need a set of turning blocks added to the parts list - for the rooftop traveller...
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Warren... if you want to see the system in a rooftop traveler, email Larry Mcanally at: larrymcanally@gmail.com he has wonderful pictures of his system which I used to duplicate it on my boat.

But take into account what type/make traveler track you have... what make is the car, etc. If your set-up is like mine, then the Schaefer control blocks will fit like a glove on the NicroFico track. If you have any questions, email me.

zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I'm almost certain...

Post by Warren S »

We have the same original traveler with those evil pin-stops, having had intimate knowledge of them, you know, trying to beat up against a strong headwind to get home in time for work. After looking at your system again i realized that I will probably not need additional turning blocks after all, just have the rope bags in the cabin exterior at the traveller ends. I'm ready to order parts (well after my boating account recovers from the busted trailer axle - I'm one of a handful who has a trailer for a Cape Dory larger than a Ty).
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Hi Stan...!!! Thanks for the compliment. The conversion turned out really well with a minimum of work and expenses.

How is your gorgeous boat coming along? I'm dying to see her. how far along are you? I've seen your webpage and can see the beautiful interior you've made... and the electrics! What a treat!

I've been FINALLY redoing my porthole gaskets and what a filthy, dusty horrible job that is. I did four the first day, two the second day... and am now down to the last four! hopefully between Saturday and Sunday, memorial weekend, unless I go crazy and go sailing instead. But with the hurricane season approaching, I better get those portholes secured and no longer leaking!
:wink:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Como No Cruising
COMO NO

Traveller & Ports

Post by Como No Cruising »

Zeida: Great job. Did you also do the splices? Dynamite photos also.

Know what you mean about the port gaskets. Messy job. Just hope that you don't have to remove entire port anytime soon. Yuck job.

Will & Annie
frankfurder

25d traveler conversion

Post by frankfurder »

Anybody converted the standard mainsheet to a usable traveler system with the stock 1" track?
I cant find anyone with the hardware to fit the 1" track except for turning blocks.
Zelda's traveler conversion on her 33 looks very nice but the hardware doesnt seem to be available for the 1" tracks.
rperrone
"PAISAN" Oriental, NC

Post by rperrone »

Nice upgrade. Good photos.
Makes traveller adjustments much easier.
Can you imagine what a pain that is when your traveller is located above the Companionway/ cabin top.
Converted PAISAN a few years back to operate same way. Very happy with results.
Cap'n Bob