Splashed yesterday!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Buck

Splashed yesterday!

Post by Jim Buck »

Sunday I finally launched my ’76 Ty Daysailer in a marina on western Lake Erie. Woo-hoo! Went for a sail as soon as the rigging was set and enjoyed a wonderful shakedown cruise a few miles out into Lake Erie. The weather was perfect for it; nice breeze and 85 degrees. I was a little concerned initially as this Ty is very original including sails and most standing rigging. (I had to replace the headstay and one upper shroud.) This Ty allayed my concern in short order.

According to the PO, he bought it after finding it in storage in northern lower Michigan and then sailed her a few times until he too stored her. It’s hard to believe Hull #49 is 35 years old. The non-skid is original and nearly unblemished. I’m pretty sure I was the first to sand the teak. I got her this spring in filthy condition that required rubbing compound over all the exposed fiberglass except the non-skid which just required a couple of good scrubbings. It came with the “Handyâ€
Last edited by Jim Buck on May 30th, '10, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Day Sailer

Post by Oswego John »

Jim,

I am soooo envious. In a word, BEAUTIFUL.

You have the same motor and mount as my Weekender. The cockpit looks very similar to mine, also.

Good luck with her.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Nice job! Beautiful boat.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Beautiful

Post by Jim Davis »

Take good care of your treasure. You have done well.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
GLutzow

I'm Jealous

Post by GLutzow »

It is moments like these that make me regret selling my Typhoon Weekender.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Lovely boat, it sounds like you stumbled upon a real treasure there, original finish in such pristine condition is unheard of. I have no need for a typhoon but I would have jumped on the chance to buy that boat if I had the chance. Congrats!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dick Barthel

spectacular...no way she can be 30+ years!

Post by Dick Barthel »

nm
OveRCs

Post by OveRCs »

I'm thrilled for you Jim! She is beautiful! I too am getting ready to splash 1975 CD Ty G-24. I saw her in person for the first time today (from about 150 yards away) as she was off-loaded onto the docks. Hopefully she will clear customs this week and be on the water sometime next week. I look forward to having the opportunity of sharing some of our experiences on this board.

THE PICS ARE GREAT
Ron Campbell, Sandys Bermuda