WANTED: OARS FOR CD14

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Handycat

Post by Handycat »

I own a CD14, but I am missing the original wood oars. They are spoon-tipped and approximately 12 feet long. Looking for a pair.
Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Re: WANTED: OARS FOR CD14

Post by Numbah134 »

Are you sure? - The brochure for the CD10 & 14 (available from the CDSOA site) indicates 7-1/2 feet for the rear position and 7 feet for the front position of a CD14. If you are actually (as one might suspect from your handle) talking about a HC14, that boat is 2 feet wider and 3 times heavier than a CD14, so perhaps oars that long are appropriate...
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
Handycat

Post by Handycat »

I'm sure that it's a CD14. I checked the brochure after the post and found out that the oars are in fact 7'6". The closest are Shaw and Tenney oars made in Maine. Thanks
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I use 7&1/2' Shaw and Tennys on my CD-14. If you pick up a pair and put some nice leathers on them you will never be disappointed, Steve.
Ron Brassord

CD 14 oars

Post by Ron Brassord »

we now have three of these great boats in our family.
I agree the Shaw Tenny are the best except for maybe the price. I tried making my own from laminated construction grade spruce which look nice but are too heavy. I priced real Sitka spruce and got a sticker shock at $25 a board foot. The off the shelf sport store variety are clubs. I think 8' is the ideal length for serious performance.
I bought a pair of old fiberglass Macon sculling oars for $50, which have been replaced by ultra light carbon fiber. The sculls are 9'6" with wooden hand grips about 16". I sawed off the handgrips which produced an all glass 8' oar that is perfect. I installed round oar locks with stoppers and wear protection. They are bullet proof to any abuse.
On my two boats I found that installin a 2 or 3 inch teak block on the rail to raise the oarlock base greatly improved rowing. I also moved them aft a few inches to get a longer stroke.Fixed seat rowers tell me the ideal hight of the base should be 7 1/2 inches above the top of the seat to get good clearance for the stroke.
Now I wish I could find a source for new sails better than the $8/900 quotes I'v;e goten locally. Used would be fine.
Ron B Lighthouse Point Fl.
Handycat

sail for CD14

Post by Handycat »

Hi Ron,

Check out Withum Sailmakers, www.withumsailmakers.com 7 Oakland St. Amesbury, MA 01913 (978) 388-0017. Even with shipping his prices should be nowhere near that. (I got a new Typhoon main for 450!)