Wall Street Journal Article re: Dark N Stormy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Wall Street Journal Article re: Dark N Stormy

Post by barfwinkle »

Finally!!!! It took me freakin long enough. If you are interested in the Wall Street Journal article on the "Official Drink of the CDSOA" here is a link to the pdf file.

http://www.goslingsrum.com/resources/ar ... sj_rum.pdf

Fair Winds and look for a forthcoming report from the Gulf Fleet Regatta's testing of said official drink!!!
Bill Member #250.
tartansailor

With All Due Respect

Post by tartansailor »

With all due respect to Mr Eric Felten; and strenuously not wishing to wizz on anyone's parade; the most popular drink in serious racing circles is Mt. Gay Rum. Why? because Mt. Gay sponsors almost all of the Caribbean race venues. How do I know? Just browse through any edition of Sailing World magazine, and you will find your answer.
Now having said that, I strongly support Gosling's Dark & Stormy as the official Cape Dory elixir of choice.

Dick
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Great Dark and Stormy article.
I agree, that to use any other rum in a D & S is an abomination.
On the Ginger beer front - I've got to say I respectfully disagree regardless of US patents or country of origin.
  • Barritt's- OK but I think production may have stopped.

Stewart's- made a great ginger beer (spicy) but they were bought out and no longer produce ginger beer.

Regatta- OK and for a while was all I could get around here.

Goslings has there own ginger beer now. I think it's very similar to Barritt's.

Reeds- I don't like it, but it's good for you.
Recently my wife introduced me to the international isle at Super Stop and Shop. Now my epic quest for a Stewart's replacement is over.
My favorites-
  • D & G Jamaican Ginger Beer
    Goya (very spicy)
It's 9:00am as I type this so I guess I'll have to hold off on mixing one up at the moment. The good news is that it's Friday.
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
2tocruise
Little Creek, VA
Currently in Annapolis, MD

Barritt's

Post by 2tocruise »

Barritt's Ginger Beer is available, it's just next to impossible to find in the sates. I recently found it in a Liquor store in Annapolis and bought a month's supply on the spot. It's expensive though, a six-pack going for $8.

I remember the first time I was in Bermuda, Goslings was testing a "red label" rum designed to be mixed with normal ginger ale, specifically for the US market. It wasn't nearly as good and I have not seen it since. I think they decided making their own ginger beer was the better approach.

I would think that Annapolis and Newport would be the best places to find Barritt's, just as they are the best spots outside of Bermuda to get a good Dark & Stormy at the bar. (Boatyard Grill in Eastport mixes a pretty good one).
Twenty years from now, you will be more disapointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Re: With All Due Respect

Post by Numbah134 »

tartansailor wrote:the most popular drink in serious racing circles is Mt. Gay Rum.
But there is Mt. Gay and Mt. Gay - specifically, Eclipse, which is terrible and easy to find anywhere, and Barbados Sugar Cane, which is a whole 'nother bottle of rum. And pretty much the only rum I'll drink these days, though I have to go far out of my way to find it, having got my last few bottles imported from Cape Cod, after a wide and fruitless search amid seas of dreadful Eclipse and other dreadful, wretched rums. Try a bottle sometime - it's not even particularly expensive. It's good enough to drink neat, and also mixes nicely.
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

CDSOA members,

You get our newsletter MASTHEAD, so rummage through your pile of magazines and find the last issue -- Vol. XIV, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2010. Then go to page 22 in the section called "Captain's Cocktails". There you'll find, in addition to the recipe for a Dark 'n' Stormy, a list of alternative rums in case you can't find Gosling's Black Seal. There's a list of ginger beer brands as well.

Cheers!
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

Dark and Stormy

Post by Alan Holman »

File this under in your MBUI (miscellaneous bits of useless information) folder.
About five or seven years ago a soft drink (soda) bottler in PEI, Canada, Seaman's Beverages, a family-owned company that was the local bottler of Pepsi Cola, intended to supply the world with a pre-mixed Dark and Stormy cocktail. The company's proprietor Rundle Seaman, had gotten to know Malcolm Gosling during his visits to Bermuda escaping the cold, ice-locked winters on PEI. In addition to Pepsi Cola, Rundle's company produced a number of different flavoured sodas, including a delightful ginger beer. Not only that, he had excess capacity on his bottling line and was looking for ways to utilize it. Rundle and Mr. Gosling worked out an agreement whereby Seaman Beverages would bottle a pre-mixed Dark and Stormy utilizing Seaman's ginger beer and Gosling's Black Seal rum. As Pepsi Cola was Seaman's bread and butter product, Rundle checked with the Canadian head office of Pepsico to see how they felt about what he was proposing. They had no objections, feeling quite rightly it had little or nothing to do with them as the bottling line would be cleaned and flushed before the Pepsi Cola would be bottled, as it was after the bottling of other Seaman products. Everything was a go and a test batch was run through the plant. With a little tweaking the Dark and Stormy met the standards of Gosling's and a marketing program for the pre-mixed cocktail market was being prepared when the word came that Pepsico, New York, world headquarters, was not pleased with this development when the finally heard about from their Canadian branch office. Mr. Seaman was informed that there would be no alcoholic beverages produced in any plant that was bottling Pepsi Cola - he had a choice he could go with the untested marketing of Dark and Stormy cocktails or he could continue to bottle Pepsi Cola. (Who would guessed New Yorkers were such puritans.) Discussions followed and the upshot of it all was Pepsico bought out Seaman's Beverages. The world missed out on a pre-mixed Dark and Stormy, and Americans are forced to search high and low for an acceptable ginger beer to go with their Black Seal rum.
Cheers
The Mddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
tartansailor

Re: Dark and Stormy

Post by tartansailor »

The Meddler wrote: (Who would guessed New Yorkers were such puritans.)
The Mddler
That's putting it very politely!

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Wall Streeters

Post by Oswego John »

Well, I'll go along with maybe SOME down state New Yawkers are puritans.

Not so, up here in the boonies. Maybe not full blown red necks, but there are lots of tinges of pink showing through.

Where else but up state New Yawk can you buy a box of Road Kill Helper?

BTW: Excellent for meal planning for cruises. Pot luck dinners, too.

O J :D

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Troy Scott

parsley

Post by Troy Scott »

So John,

About the presentation, would it be appropriate to serve that with a little sprig of parsley on the side? And what wine would you suggest?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Meal Planning

Post by Oswego John »

Troy and all,

Instead of plain, drab parsely, I think that dandelion greens would pull everything together better and produce a more dramatic effect.

As for Vin du Jour sympatico, it's a tossup between Ripple and Boone's Farm with Apple Annie running a close third.

Bon Apetit, :D
O J
(always glad to be of help)
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

ROTFLMAO :D :D
OveRCs

Post by OveRCs »

If I may chime in on this discussion, as a volunteer bartender for the last Marion to Bermuda race I can confidently state that neither my fellow Bermudians nor our visiting yachtsmen prefer any garnish at all in their Dark and Stormy. (If you want a garnish in your drink, sail down the river to L'ville and order a mint julep!)

The authentic recipe is simple: fill one glass with sparkling ice cubes, turn bottle of Goslings Dark Rum up until the customer nods in appreciation, top it up with Barritt's (and only Barritt's) Ginger Beer, serve with a smile! Note: the yachting crowd requires that you complete this task in approx. 10 seconds -- 6 per minute!

Barritts is our local Coke bottler, and my friend Bruce Barritt is one of the most popular and celebrated good fellows on the rock. He does stand-up comedy, founded the Not the Um Um Players and Radio Mohawk -- the Voice of St. Davids. Bruce was recently honored for his contributions as MC / Host of many and various charity functions. http://www.royalgazette.com/siftology.r ... ctionId=80

Charles Gosling, a more staid fellow, is Mayor of Hamilton. Recently Gosling's has moved into east coast markets with a canned Dark & Stormy made in the USA. I've seen their billboards in Boston.

As my kinfolk are Kentuckians, I prefer to have a "Barritt's & Gold" -- that's Gosling's Gold (bottled in Bardstown) and Barritt's Diet Ginger Beer.

Any of you want to sail out here, I'll personally mix us up a few!
Ron Campbell, Sandys Bermuda
OveRCs

Post by OveRCs »

2toCruise, $8 a six-pack is a good price in the US -- about the same as what we pay here in Bermuda!
Last edited by OveRCs on May 28th, '10, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
North Branch
Onancock, VA

Barritts Ginger Beer

Post by North Branch »

Barritts Ginger Beer is available online at Beverages Direct:
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/products/barritts/
I received a case this week. Right now it is on sale. The only place in the US I've been able to get it is at the liquor store on Block Island. The Virginia ABC stores have Gosling's Black Seal Rum. I've never had a problem finding it.
North Branch, Onancock, VA

"Of all man-made things there is nothing so lovely as a sailboat. It is a living thing with a soul and feelings." H.A. Calahan