Profurl users experience needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

Profurl users experience needed

Post by Len »

I have a profurl (I think the model is a "classic" 42). While installing my Yankee I noticed a few things that were odd. I'm not sure if the yard which installed the the stay/furler this season messed up or not.

1. The black "puck" appears from the deck to be on the wire stay not on the aluminum extrusions and not in contact with the swivel arm.
2. While bending on the sail it was possible to lift the extrusions out of the drum. Is this normal? Doesn't anything hold the extrusions in place?

Information on this would be appreciated. The manufacturers manual doesn't seem to touch on these issues.

Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I have a profurl (I think the model is a "classic" 42). While installing my Yankee I noticed a few things that were odd. I'm not sure if the yard which installed the the stay/furler this season messed up or not.

1. The black "puck" appears from the deck to be on the wire stay not on the aluminum extrusions and not in contact with the swivel arm.
The "puck" clamps on the wire stay but it should also fit over the
top end of the extrusion without any gap. The "puck" also has a
notch on the perimeter that should catch the flat bar that attaches
to the halyard.
2. While bending on the sail it was possible to lift the extrusions out of the drum. Is this normal? Doesn't anything hold the extrusions in place?
Not good. There are set screws that hold the drum to the
extrusion. I suspect this is the cause of both symptoms,
the set screws are loose or gone and the extrusion is now
lower on the stay than it should be. FYI They are metric set
screws.
Information on this would be appreciated. The manufacturers manual doesn't seem to touch on these issues.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Randy Capstick »

What Rich said is exactly correct.

The black Puck shaped "halyard guard" is attached to the stay and does not rotate.

You should be able to locate two screw holes on the upper sleeve of the drum. If you lift the extrusion upward towards the puck as you look into these screw holes, you should be able to see a hole in the extrusion at the base of one of the screw holes. The two set screws are slightly different. One of the set screws has an extended metal tip that locks into that hole in the extrusion as you screw it down. The other set screw has a wider head and just tightens down against the extrusion itself.

Hope this helps.

Randy