Back in Texas

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Como No Cruising
COMO NO

Back in Texas

Post by Como No Cruising »

Como No is back in her original Home Port, Waterford Harbor Marina, Clear Lake, Pier 13.
We departed Isla Mujeres, Mexico on May 4 @ 1130, after a lengthy wait for clearing Customs. Weather conditions appeared to be favorable for a Gulf Crossing, with no Fronts in the forecast for several days. We did have light winds from astern for 3 days and sailed mostly Wing & Wing, with the 90% Yankee set to starboard and the main vanged down and put on the preventer to Port. Seas were maximum of 3-5 feet. Not a bad sail. Winds 10 to 13 knots. We could have used more wind, but the lazy sailing was not bad.

All went well until Friday 7 May, when we entered the Oil rigs. Many are said to be unlighted, so we ran the radar all night and kept a sharper lookout than usual. . Saturday morning a frontal system came thru with 20 to 25 knot winds which shifted from one quadrant to another. Winds settled back down to the 13 to 16 knot range and seas became lumpy. The second night in the oil rigs was more stressful than the first due to an accumulation of lack of sleep. However, on Sunday, 9 May we made the entrance to Galveston Bay and were able to lay a course directly downwind, wing on wing which took us due North, directly up the Houston Ship Channel. Winds were 15 - 20 and were were scooting along at a nice easy 7-8 knots with the autopilot steering the entire way.

Sails were struck as we approached the Clear Lake entrance and we began to prepare for berthing, laying out fenders and lines.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Congrats on finishing your circumnavigation!

So, when do you start the second circumnavigation? :D
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Como No Cruising
COMO NO

2nd Time Around

Post by Como No Cruising »

Russell: Although once is not enough, age is making itself felt in this old sailor. We are thinkiing about Bahamas and then maybe back to the Eastern Caribbean next year. It dosen't really get much better than that, does it.? You know what I mean.

How did you adjust to being back?

At least Como No is now getting lots of cosmetic maintenance work done on her.

Did you ever get your Cabin Sole replaced?

Will
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Welcome Home!!

Post by Ocean Girl »

Welcome home Como No!!

Ann, I've never had so much fun doing laundry! You have added at least three more destinations to my must see list! Will, thanks again for the chart! I am a sucker for charts, love em, I have already poured over it. You two sure have given me a renewed energy to get my boat ready to go. See ya next weekend, can't wait to do more catching up.
BTW- mom says "hi" and looks forward to swapping sea stories:)

Cheers,
Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Post by Ocean Girl »

Will, I had no idea you guys were posting over here, in fact I don't think I realized this "cruising section" existed..dang, I could of followed you two, I have missed all the fun. Did Ann tell you that I passed Como No twice out in the gulf? Once getting to mexico and once coming back.
:) No your not slow! I was in a cruise ship going 20 knots, crossed the gulf in 36 hours..kinda crazy.
See ya,
Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/