Typhoon Weekender Oarlocks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Post by Scott Launey »

Has anyone used oars instead of an outboard to go or get home with no wind or just in and out of a slip? I'd like to know what kind and length of oars and where they put the oarlocks and also where they sat. Do you row facing forward or rear? I'd like to just get the outboard off the boat and try it.
Thanks,

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Scott;

I'm not familiar with the Typhoon, but I assume it's similar to the CD 25.

I have heard of tholes that fit over the coaming winches to accept the oarlocks. I suspect that the oars would have to be quite long, with a corresponding loss of mechanical advantage.

I have also heard that sculling from the stern is easier and more effective than rowing.

I have no experience with either method on a CD. Rowing or sculling a displacement hull of several thousand pounds seems to me to be a labor intensive task... compared to a dinghy, anyway. I would have to assume you are considerably younger than I.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
mgphl52

Re: Typhoon Weekender Oarlocks

Post by mgphl52 »

Scott Launey wrote:Has anyone used oars instead of an outboard to go or get home with no wind or just in and out of a slip? I'd like to know what kind and length of oars and where they put the oarlocks and also where they sat. Do you row facing forward or rear? I'd like to just get the outboard off the boat and try it.
Thanks,

Scott
You can paddle a Ty for quite a ways with just a canoe paddle. Sit at the bow with your legs crossed around the stem and just paddle. I've done it for over 2 miles when totally becalmed...

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I would think that with just a little engineering one could make a sweep bracket that would replace the outboard. You should be able to scull the Typhoon for quite a distance.
Have A Nice Day
jbenagh
Salem, MA

two books

Post by jbenagh »

Both of the following books have good descriptions of using oars. You really should read all of LFH to get the full effect. Both seem to think that sculling oars are a good choice (singe oarlock on the rear and push from side to side). Sculling oars are very long, like 14ft -- you will probably need to make it yourself and keep it on deck.

Lin & Larry Pardy, "Self Sufficient Sailor" chapter 13, p 103.

LF Herreshoff, "The Compleat Cruiser"

Jeff
Raymond

Sculling

Post by Raymond »

Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Sculling

Post by Numbah134 »

My sailboat is a rowboat, but I have always been a bit interested in the alternate version of row-propulsion...which works even for much bigger boats evidently... and if it let you skip having a motor at all, could save quite a few bucks on fees each year.

http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Stories/Sc ... llone.html
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
Klem

Post by Klem »

Personally, I much prefer rowing to sculling if I have to cover any distance. Sculling is great when maneuvering since you can see where you are going. I have never done either on a Ty but I have both rowed and sculled on similar size boats.

With rowing, getting the correct oar length, oarlock height, and seat height are all very important. I have seen numbers on the subject but can't think of where, it may have been when I used to row shells. If you find numbers for rowing shells, you will need to move the oarlocks up relative to the seat slightly.
Scott Launey

Post by Scott Launey »

Thanks for all the responses today; they're all interesting on the rowing/sculling subject. I row some shells also so I like using two oars and also I've never tried sculling. For Stan the Typhoon is a 19' daysailer and although it weighs 2000 # I think it could be rowed for short distances and I'm not so sure I'm younger at 62. For Michael I've tried the bow position, but I just liked the idea of rowing from the cockpit better. I'll look up the books and sites that Jeff and Raymond recommended. Klem, I like rowing also so I'm going to play around with all of these ideas and I'll post a reply soon.

Stan, What are tholes that fit over the winches. I'm intrigued. They may work if I make a seat that fits across the side cockpits seats. It also may be necessary to row standing up, but that works fine for medium distances and if the oars are positioned right you can row facing either direction.

Thanks again,
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Scott Launey

Post by Scott Launey »

I just found this web page that discusses thoroughly the subject of this thread. Thought you all might find this interesting. My Typhoon is smaller then his Ariel by I guessing5-6' so it should work.

Scott

http://www.solopublications.com/sailario.htm
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
GLutzow

Oarlocks

Post by GLutzow »

I made a set of oar locks for my Typhoon Weekender that mounted on the winches. I used Very long oars and could paddle either facing forward or rearward. I found that for distance it was easier to face rearward.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Scott Launey

Oarlocks

Post by Scott Launey »

Greg,

Can you post a picture or description of how you made the oarlocks as I'd like to try it out. Also how long and what type of oars were they.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Look at the "JUSTFOUND THIS" post above. That Typhoon had oar locks on it.
Have A Nice Day
Scott Launey

Oarlocks

Post by Scott Launey »

Thanks Sharkbait; it looks like it's got oarlocks with no sheet winches. I'm trying to figure out how to put oarlocks over the winches. Still working on it.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36