Sailing Toast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

Sailing Toast

Post by Len »

No not the kind you eat.. the kind you drink to ! Does anyone have a good sailing toast. The only one my aging memory could come up with was the fair winds and following seas variety. A friend is leaving ion a long sea journey and I would like to send him off appropriately.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Toasts, quotes, prayers, etc.

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Toasts, quotes, prayers, etc....

Here's to the wind that blows, the ship that goes, and the lass that loves a sailor!

"May your departures equal your landfalls"

"The meek shall inherit the earth, The brave will get the oceans."

"Part went for liquor, part went for women, and the rest I spent foolishly."

"May the warm wind at your back not be your own."

"Here's to tall ships, Here's to small ships, Here's to all the ships at sea. But the best ships are friendships, Here's to you and me."

"Ships are like women, expensive to rig and difficult to steer."

"Any damn fool can circumnavigate the world sober, it takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."

"Ships and seamen rot in harbor."

"The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it" - Sir Winston Churchill

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Kenneth Grahame, from the "Wind in the Willows".

“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.â€
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 19th, '10, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

and now a lousy one

Post by jbenagh »

Cathy's were great, but hers reminded me of a lousy one:

"To wives and lovers -- may they never meet."
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Sailing Toast

Post by Oswego John »

Maybe a little off the intended subject but - - - -

Sailing Toast. Another name for Hardtack or Sea Biscuit. (molar breakers)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sailing Toast

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Sailing Toast. Another name for Hardtack or Sea Biscuit. (molar breakers)
Sea Biscuit also being the name of a famed race horse.

Speaking of race horses, you might be interested in the definition of "Harness Cask." 1. (Naut.) A tub lashed to a vessel's deck and containing salted provisions for daily use; - called also harness tub.

Nothing like salted horse meat and hardtack buscuit (aka "biscuit and biscuit").
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Sailing Toast

Post by Oswego John »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Oswego John wrote:Sailing Toast. Another name for Hardtack or Sea Biscuit. (molar breakers)
Sea Biscuit also being the name of a famed race horse.

Speaking of race horses, you might be interested in the definition of "Harness Cask." 1. (Naut.) A tub lashed to a vessel's deck and containing salted provisions for daily use; - called also harness tub.

Nothing like salted horse meat and hardtack buscuit (aka "biscuit and biscuit").

Neil

Harness Cask is a new term for me. You learn something every day.

Sea Horse with Sea Biscuit on the side. Dare I say Surf and Turf? :D

Thanks to Cathy, I think that there are enough "Toasts" for now. At the risk of scuttling a perfectly good thread, I'd like to toss in a few long forgotten memories of my past life.

Long before I got heavily into sailing, myself and others in my family were involved in the "Sport of Kings", horse racing.

The horse that you mentioned, Sea Biscuit, wasn't only a great horse but he was involved in probably the greatest thoroughbred match race ever. That was in 1938 with the Triple Crown winner War Admiral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM

Turn the volume up.

Among my travels, while doing my part to improve the breed, were many visits to race tracks in New England as well as elsewhere. One of my favorite ovals was Narragansett Race Track in Pawtucket, RI. I made many stops in east Boston at Suffolk Downs. Another track that I attended a few times was Rockingham at Salem, NH. I have no idea if they still exist or not.

A lot of good platers came from New Hampshire. One of the very best was Nashua, who beat Swaps from Chicago's Arlington Park in another head to head match race in 1955.

My memories of New England were all good.. One of the best was when I met some friends who sailed in on the Shangri-La. From there we made a down payment on Scollay Square and then proceeded to wind up in Lynn at the Blue Moon. Oy Vey. Revere Beach was never the same after that weekend.

So please excuse the reminiscences,

O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Apr 19th, '10, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

War Admirals and Sea Biscuits

Post by Neil Gordon »

OJ,

>>The horse that you mentioned, Sea Biscuit, wasn't only a great horse but he was involved in probably the greatest thoroughbred match race ever. That was in 1938 with the Triple Crown winner War Admiral.<<

The greatest thoroughbred match race ever was the battle of the sexes between Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure.

Separately and nautically speaking, it occurs to me that at least in the old British Navy, War Admirals and Sea Biscuits probably never meet each other.

As for your race tracks:
Narragansett Race Track closed in 1978.
Suffolk Downs is still open.
Rockingham is still open.

>>One of the best was when I met some friends who sailed in on the Shangri-La.<<

Ah yes, the famous aircraft carrier that was named after the super secred WWII airbase from which the Doolittle raid on Japan was launched.

>>From there we made a down payment on Scollay Square ...<<

Scollay Square is pretty much gone and replaced by "Government Center."

>>... and then proceeded to wind up in Lynn at the Blue Moon.<<

The Blue Moon is still there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

The video...Sea Biscuit and War Admiral

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

CLICK HERE to watch the match race between Sea Biscuit and War Admiral.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 19th, '10, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Monaghan

more quotes...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

" Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails."
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

"The sea is dangerous, and its storms are terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficiant reason to remain ashore." - Fredinand Magellan.

"In an age where society has nearly rendered the qualities of individual courage and independent thought obsolete, the ocean remains as a vast, uncluttered & beautiful temptation, awaiting those who (for a time) can break free. Cruising is not done to escape life...but rather, so that life does not escape you."

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So, the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode

"While there are some people who enjoy living their lives on the edge of uncertainty, most of us prefer to have a healthy dose of familiar expectation in our lives. We make plans based on the best information available, in an effort to avoid unpleasant surprises. Unfortunately, life is rarely as simple or predictable as we would like it, and when you're out cruising, the possibilities of your plans derailing often multiply."

"There is perhaps no other activity that can equal cruising for the ability to shatter your delusions of personal efficiency, because (as you quickly learn) in the big picture, a sailboat is a very insignificant speck floating around on an endless expanse of ocean, buffeted by whatever Mother Nature serves up...and coming to terms with this can be a humbling experience."

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea...cruising, it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about. "

"There are those who say “I’ve always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can’t afford it.â€
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Two Russian toasts I like:

A traditional third toast, not really a sailing one, is "for those at sea." I hear for those who may be in danger, or for those not here.

And I really like "sehm fotos pod keelem" (Семь футов под килем). Seven feet under your keel. -- may you always have some room, may you never run aground.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Len

How to remember a toast ?

Post by Len »

Cathy,
I can never remember the punch line let alone pages of toasts. I bow to your prodigiousness !

Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
M. R. Bober

Re: Toasts, quotes, prayers, etc.

Post by M. R. Bober »

[quote="Cathy Monaghan"]Toasts, quotes, prayers, etc....

Here's to the wind that blows, the ship that goes, and the lass that loves a sailor!

"May your departures equal your landfalls"

"The meek shall inherit the earth, The brave will get the oceans."

"Part went for liquor, part went for women, and the rest I spent foolishly."

"May the warm wind at your back not be your own."

"Here's to tall ships, Here's to small ships, Here's to all the ships at sea. But the best ships are friendships, Here's to you and me."

"Ships are like women, expensive to rig and difficult to steer."

"Any damn fool can circumnavigate the world sober, it takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."

"Ships and seamen rot in harbor."

"The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it" - Sir Winston Churchill

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Kenneth Grahame, from the "Wind in the Willows".

“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.â€
CDSOA Founding Member
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

M. R. Bober wrote:My god, woman, how large is REALIZATION's liquor locker? :wink:
By the time they get through all that toasting, there's hardly time left for drinking.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rorik

Post by rorik »

M. R. Bober wrote:
My god, woman, how large is REALIZATION's liquor locker? :wink:

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where a simple toast covered with creamed chipped beef is as fine as frog's hair), VA
That's the funniest question I've seen in awhile......
And thanks, Cathy, for helping my liquor cabinet become more socially adept.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Cathy Monaghan

Re: How to remember a toast ?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Len wrote:Cathy,
I can never remember the punch line let alone pages of toasts. I bow to your prodigiousness !

Len
I can barely remember my name. Thank goodness for the internet! Now let's have some punch....but first a toast!