"Vicky Lee" refit

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

"Vicky Lee" refit

Post by Daniel Owen »

Though I would share my progress so far. Since placing the CD27 I purchased in December next to my shop work is nearing an end and relaunch is scheduled for the end of April.

I had the mast, boom and the Bomar hatch powder coated. Replaced lexan in hatch and placed new seals in all port lights. Replaced all running and standing rigging. Rebuilt/serviced all winches. Replaced fixed topping lift with a line that runs to the cockpit. Placed a new S/S plate under mast step for vang, topping lift block and spinnaker halyard block to cockpit. Replaced top life line and placed a lower one with 1/4" Amsteel along with new bronze pelican hooks. Installed padeye in cockpit for safety harness.

Replaced coaming boards and built 1/4" threaded S/S backing plates for the winch stands and jib cleats so the new boards won't split. Replaced damaged rub rail and numerous teak plugs that had gone missing. Cleaned all the woodwork and have decided to let it go grey. Built a new table that drops down from the door to the head along with new bookshleves.

Rewired entire boat and built a new 8 position circuit panel with breaker/switches. Built new A/C breaker panel and placed new GFI outlets along with proper marine wire. Replaced all bulbs with LED's and replaced steaming light with a combo fore deck light along with a new mast head VHF antenna with wiring run thru Dorade box. Installed Garmin 440 plotter on a new teak swing out bracket. Replaced the dead Kenyon seperate depth and speed units with a Raymarine bidata 60 depth/knotmeter combo unit along with new bronze transducer thru hulls. Installed stereo next to existing VHF along with speakers in setee's.

Removed and cleaned water tank, replaced hoses and placed a new brass Finspray hand pump. Replaced all drain hoses, fuel hoses and painted the locker/engine areas. Rebuilt gusher pump and bilge hoses. Rebuilt battery tray along with the engine seperation panels. I removed the eyebrows along with other items on the coach roof, chamfered and filled the holes with marinetex and then recovered all my non-skid with Kiwi Magic. Also removed Force 10 cozy heater and patched vent hole. Retained Force 10 two burner propane stove for cooking.

Decided to paint the exterior. The final coat of awlgrip gets sprayed on the topside today. The bottom has dried out nicely since removal of at least 10 coats of bottom paint and the original gel coat. Next week I will apply the bootstripe, new vinyl name and numbers, install all the thru hulls, new barrier and bottom paint.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 0557502000[/img]
Last edited by Daniel Owen on Apr 19th, '10, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dan O..............
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Hi, I tried to look at your facebook page, but the link didn't take me to it. Is there another way to find it?
Seajunkie
rorik

Post by rorik »

Nice list of changes, Daniel. I've got a very similar list going on my CD 28 Mathilda.....
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Russell

Post by Russell »

What did repowder coating the hatches involve? Mine look horrible and the previous owner painted them, which did not last, I repainted them and it of course did not last. I am entirely open to removing them and sending them somewhere, but its something I am unfamiliar with.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Sounds sweet, but I don't do the facebook thing. Can you repost pics elsewhere?
Daniel Owen

Post by Daniel Owen »

Russel,

Powder Coating the hatch involved removing the hatch from the boat, taking it completely a part and then sending it to the Powder Coater. I used: http://www.kitsappowdercoating.com/index.htm
They do a lot of work for the Navy and Coast Guard and apply a special marine primer coat before the final coating. They sandblast the parts for you. I went with a hammer tone finish on my parts and they came out very well.

Cheers Dan O..................
Dan O..............
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Dan, did you need to remove the lens and gasket before you sent them off?

My hatches don't look great but they don't even appear on my to do list as yet, Steve.
Daniel Owen

Post by Daniel Owen »

Steve,
Yes, I removed the lense and gasket. Powder coating requires baking in an oven so no plastic can be left. I replaced the lense and gasket with new along with replacing the hinge pins with machine screws.
Dan O...........
Dan O..............
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Very thorough refit!

Post by Duncan »

It sounds like you have accomplished a lot of work in a short time!
Your plan seems like Fred Bickert's (Fenix), "Get it all done now, and go sailing".

I would really like to see the photos, but your Facebook link just takes me to a login page, which then goes to my own home page. Do you use Photobucket or Picasa (from Google, probably the easiest)?

Or, can I be your friend on Facebook? :)

A couple of questions:

1) Which brass Finspray hand pump? I don't like the original one.

2) How do you like the Amsteel?

Congratulations, I hope you have a great sailing season!
Last edited by Duncan on Apr 19th, '10, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Owen

Post by Daniel Owen »

Duncan,

I chose the Fynspray model WS-60B. I went with the Amsteel lifelines over wire because I can splice them myself. I will try to find another site to post pictures through. How do folks get their photos within their posting?

Cheers Dan O............
Dan O..............
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Daniel Owen wrote:Duncan,

I chose the Fynspray model WS-60B. I went with the Amsteel lifelines over wire because I can splice them myself. I will try to find another site to post pictures through. How do folks get their photos within their posting?

Cheers Dan O............
That Fynspray looks just right for the limited space available. Amsteel sounds interesting, I will check it out.

Pictures are easy. You just need to upload them to a host (e.g. I would recommend Photobucket or Picassa (from Google). This gives them an internet address (a "public album"), which you can just copy and post.

It's sort of like uploading to Facebook, except they end up more accessible.

To get fancy, and post actual photos within your message here, each photo will have an internet address within your album. Copy these addresses, one by one, and post them within [img]...[/img] codes (i.e. [img]the%20internet%20address%20of%20your%20photo[/img]).

But I wouldn't bother with that - a link to a public album is much more efficient.

Congrats again, I am inspired with what you got done in a short period of time. I think that boat found the right owner.