teak eyebrow dimensions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

holes

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Jeff and Sarah,
The trouble is, that by the time you discover that you have water intrusion, the job just got much bigger. Water dripping will ruin the plywood on the cabin interior. If that gets to the point of needing repair, you have to remove the port lights on that side. That job is huge, in that you not only have to remove them, but you have to clean the sealant off, clean the trim rings, clean the screws, re-seal them in place and re-seal the trim rings. Yuk!

Matt
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

As I've posted before, I am systemmatically replacing much of the the teak on deck with white oak and i'm doing so by leaving the screw heads exposed. Refinishing all this stuff makes for easy winter work when it can be removed from the boat and moved down to the shop. When the finish on the eyebrows finally breaks down, i'll fabricate new ones from white oak.
Mark Abramski
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Post by Daniel Owen »

I just removed my eyebrows along with other items on the coach roof, chamfered and filled the holes with marinetex and then recovered all my non-skid with Kiwi Magic. I'm very happy with the results. The final coat of awlgrip gets sprayed on the topside today. The bottom has dried out nicely since removal of at least 10 coats of bottom paint and the original gel coat. Next week I will apply the bootstripe, new vinyl name and numbers, install all the thru hulls, new barrier and bottom paint. Hope to launch by the end of April.
Dan O..............
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Hi Rod,
I regret the delay, been slammed lately. Anyway, I misspoke, the eyebrow is square stock with the edges radiused and the outward edges tapered. Mine measures 186 1/2 inches in length with 3/4 inch width, and 1/2 inch thickness. It has been sanded several times I'm sure, so its thickness was probably more. As others have said, some of the bungs were wafer thin whereas others were of an acceptable size. Personally, if I were to replace it, I would make it a little thicker so the bungs could be longer. Oh by the way, if you install them, I would highly recommend 3M's 4000 UV as the bedding compound. The exposed bead will not start cracking and peeling off like a lot of the other stuff out there, and it is not a super strong adhesive like the 5200 series. Well if you need any pics of mine or just have a question, let me know. I am a little slow, but I will respond.

Fair winds,
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I thought about it for a while then I removed the eyebrows and filled the holes with epoxy. They leaked. I think there was something like 28 holes per side. You won't know they leak because the water will run down the back of the cabin side and drip onto the top of the fiberglass headliner that runs under the side deck. So you won't know the source of the leak since the headliner hides the majority of the fittings. Then it drips down the hull or, if you are lucky, onto your electronics.

When I removed the headliner the back of the cabin sides were streaked with water stains where water entered via the screws holes that penetrated the cabin sides--for every hole.

I agree they change the look but you can always paint a narrow brown stripe there to duplicate it.

I think they are intended to channel water from the top of the cabin our past the top edge of the portlight. I am not convinced they perform as intended.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Length of eyebrows for a CD 27?

Post by Duncan »

A member here has very kindly offered me eyebrows for my 1977 27.

Before I get out to the boat later this week, does anyone know the correct length for the 27?
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

eyebrow?

Post by Alan Holman »

Forgive my ignorance, what's an eyebrow?
The Meddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: eyebrow?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Alan Holman wrote:Forgive my ignorance, what's an eyebrow?
The Meddler
It's the teak strip that runs along the side of the cabin top, above the portlights. (They're not seen in more modern designs, ever since the accountants got involved in boat building.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698